Wedding Reception Forum

Open Seating

We plan on having a sweetheart table and a few "reserved" tables for WP and immediate family.  Everyone else will just be able to sit where ever they want.  I've been told I should probably have a few extra tables.  If I'm planning on having about 120 guests, how many extra tables should I have?  I need to order stuff for our centerpieces soon.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Open Seating

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_open-seating-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:af2101a2-0b42-49b1-9ac1-a3169fd74b97Post:4746fc9e-cdb5-43d8-97fb-0564a501aff6">Open Seating</a>:
    [QUOTE]We plan on having a sweetheart table and a few "reserved" tables for WP and immediate family.  Everyone else will just be able to sit where ever they want. <strong> I've been told I should probably have a few extra tables</strong>.  If I'm planning on having about 120 guests, how many extra tables should I have?  I need to order stuff for our centerpieces soon.
    Posted by CFM102012[/QUOTE]

There should be no reason to have extra tables since everyone will be RSVP'ing.  That is kinda like the whole purpose of an RSVP.  I have never heard of "someone" saying that you should have extra tables for any wedding I have been in, including my own.

I would just hate for you to pay extra for something that you won't need.

• Supposedly its so that if there's a group of say, 4 that want to sit together but all the tables have only 1 or 2 seats left there would still be an option.  It might make for a couple open spots at a few tables but the group could still sit together.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_open-seating-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:af2101a2-0b42-49b1-9ac1-a3169fd74b97Post:1b8535c1-7bbe-4f98-bffe-24a264df11a5">Re: Open Seating</a>:
    [QUOTE]Supposedly its so that if there's a group of say, 4 that want to sit together but all the tables have only 1 or 2 seats left there would still be an option.  It might make for a couple open spots at a few tables but the group could still sit together.
    Posted by CFM102012[/QUOTE]

I would say to go through and think about who you would likely see sitting together.  Then see who is left.  I would say on average, about 1 table for every 30 people? So maybe an extra 3-4 tables.  (I am thinking of this on my own, did not pull the information from anywhere)  You may want to ask that people fill in the tables towards the front (or towards the dance floor) first, that way if the tables are left empty, they are against the walls and not right in the middle where they are noticable.

Just my thoughts tho.
  • Are you doing a seating chart?  Not necessarily assigned seating, but assigning people to certain tables?  This helps a lot when it comes to troublesome family members....like keeping the gossiping Aunt Judy away from the cousin across the room that doesn't like her.

This also ensures that your immediate family will be seated closest to you and FI, and then you can have your closest friends and so on.  The biggest benefit in doing this is so you know exactly how many tables to have.  Why pay extra for tables (unless your venue has them), linens, tableware, glassware and extra centerpieces?  That just seems like a lot of $$$ going to waste when it could be used towards something that you may really want to be part of your wedding.

• I would think 2 to 3 tables extra would be sufficient.  If your room is large enough and it won't make things too cramped I say add the extra tables and forget about the stress and worry of a seating chart.  The nice thing about extra tables is that there will always be room for those guests who don't RSVP as well as room for people to move around and mingle. 
    Otherwise I have seen at weddings ushers that assist couples/families to their seat.  They don't have assigned seating but they know what seating is available and can help direct guests to available spots.  It doesnt solve the problem of large party late comers but its another option.

• This is exactly why i think assigning tables makes a lot of sense and is more kind to your pocketboko and your guests. What's your reasoning for keeping it open?
    Lizzie
  • I really, really detest open seating.  It can be super awkward for your guests, especially when they don't know a lot of other people at your wedding, and can make you feel like the nerdy kid in the lunch room trying to find a table to sit at.  I've been that person before (I only knew the bride) and was at a table with 2 other strangers in the back of the room, while other tables had extra settings sqeezed in so people who knew each other could sit together.  It made me feel like shiit and I ended up leaving that wedding early because it was so awkward and uncomfortable and honestly, I felt it was really rude that the bride didn't care enough about me to try to make sure I was seated with people I might actually talk to.

You seriously avoid so many issues by assigning tables, I promise, it will be worth your time to figure out a seating chart!  Not only will you save money by not having to have extra tables, but you'll be a good host that makes sure all their guests are comfortable throughout the evening.  Not to mention, I can't think of a single reason other than laziness that makes NOT having assigned tables a good idea.
    Anniversary
  • For my first wedding I did open seating with a guest list of 175. I had two extra tables "just in case." It worked fairly well, but everyone pretty much knew everyone else, but it didn't encourage a lot of mingling for those who didn't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I am not a fan of open seating. I get anxious at weddings like this. Why not just group people together at tables (and save a few like me from some anixety) then you would know how many tables, chairs and centerpieces you will need.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • just assign tables. it will take you no more than an hour or 2 and will save you all of this stress.
    i'm not a fan of open seating. at all.

• My cousin did it at her wedding and it went over well. I didn't know most of the people I sat with and we ended up talking about how we knew the couple and just ended up talking and joking around. (And I'm a shy person!)  I think if you get invited to a party and feel awkward because you don't know anybody, then you're going to feel awkward regardless if you choose your seat or not.

I'm left with few options because despite asking for names of my guests' +1's, most did not send their name so I could not write out namecards. I called a few who accepted and still have no replies and I don't want to write "Bob's Guest" to indicate them, so I'm left to have the guests write their own name cards and then setting them where they would like to sit. No other ideas, I guess.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards