Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Celestial theme when ceremony is during the day?

Hi everyone, I just want to run this idea past some people. I'm in the very early planning stages, so nothing is set in stone yet. I'd like to do a subtle celestial theme -- navy blue, silver, some gold, stars, moons, that sort of thing. (With the tables at the reception named after different constellations! Heh, that's my favorite part of this idea.) We could also set out telescopes for the evening reception. Given this theme, would it seem stupid to do a daytime ceremony? I'm Catholic, so I won't really have the option of an evening ceremony. If the theme is only manifested in our color choices during the ceremony (which don't necessarily seem too night-specific), and more specific elements like stars are incorporated only at the evening reception, that won't seem strange, will it? I am curious to hear your perspectives on this. 
Visit The Knot!

Re: Celestial theme when ceremony is during the day?

• Options
    It's fine.  There isn't really a need for a theme or many decorations at the ceremony anyway.  Most people incorporate their decor at the reception, not the ceremony.  So you'll be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've never really seen a "theme" for a ceremony~other than KBun and Fred are getting married.  It wouldn't even be on my radar screen as a guess.

FWIW:  remember that a little "theme" goes a long, long way.  And a celestial theme could quickly cross over into looking like a prom if it's overdone.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    If you want to incorporate your star theme at the ceremony, be careful.  Star charms on your bouquets, star-gazer lily bouquets, or programs with small stars/moons in the corner would be just fine.  Again, be careful about how much "theme" you put into it, but little touches will be nice.
  • Options
    I definitely don't want to incorporate the theme into the ceremony, but I'm glad to hear that you guys don't think the daytime ceremony clashes with the idea. I'm not going to overdo anything if I can help it, but since I'm designing the STDs, invites, and everything, I do need a theme to work from... can't just pick out a random swirly-flowery pattern from the paper lady. I generally don't like "themes" because of the reasons you guys brought up, but I do have to have something to unite the graphic elements, and determine them in the first place. Thanks for the input, everyone! :) 
    Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    I think it's great and you should do what you want and it doesn't matter if it's during the day.  Also, many Catholics have a gap and I think it's fine if you'd rather have an evening wedding although I know a lot of people on this board disagree with that.  
  • Options
    never mind... i thought you meant the reception was daytime.  no one is going to think those colors are strange.  they won't really figure the theme out till they get to the reception anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards