Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Need something to Fill the Space that would be Father Daughter Dance

Hey Ladies
Sad Question for you...
My Dad passed away in Jan after a 2 yr battle with Colon Cancer. I have asked my Uncle (seudo God Father) to give me away at my Wedding next Spring- but will not be having a Father Daughter Dance.
Any Ideas of something I could do in its place? My FI and FMIL would still like to do a Mother/Son dance and I don't want it to be awkward that I'm not doing anything but I don't want to dance it with my uncle either or FFIL

I was thinking of just dancing 2 songs with my hubby then having him dance with his mother than go on to the other festivities.
What are your thoughts? Anyone else have a similar situation?

Re: Need something to Fill the Space that would be Father Daughter Dance

• Options
    You don't have to do anything to replace it.  Just do your bride/groom dance and then the groom/mother dance and then move on with the festivities.  Honestly guests don't care too much about sitting through all of that stuff anyway.  Just move on with cutting the cake or open the dance floor up for general dancing.

I'm sorry about your Dad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

I think you'd be okay to skip it entirely instead of trying to replace it.  Two songs in a row with FI might seem long to your guests. 

However, I have seen brides dance with their Moms.  You could make it a fun upbeat song instead of a slow song.
  • Options
    I never thought to dance with my mom or just skipping it entirely... DUH haha
    I doubt my mom will be outgoing enough to dance (unless followed by a few glasses of wine) I'll ask her though.

All of my Wedding Guests and Family know about my Dad but most of my FI Guests do not (except for his mother, father and brother)... I am having a candle burn in his honor during the ceremony and will be noting that due to his passing my Uncle will be giving me away instead- to clear up any confusion that may linger into the reception.

I just dont want ppl to ask why no Father Daughter dance etc. I know I am already going to be a mess without him I don't want people asking about it...
  • Options
    Sorry about your dad :(

My husband's mother passed away a few years ago. I danced with my father at our reception, but MH didn't do a formal dance with anyone in place of a Mother-Son dance (he had aunts in attendance that he could've danced with, or my mother, but he elected not to do anything).

Nobody questioned it ... most people in attendance knew that MIL is deceased, and I'm sure those who didn't know beforehand either figured she was deceased or not in MH's life for whatever reason.

I am sure your guests, if they don't already know your situation, will figure it out on their own and won't be rude enough to ask you what's up. Especially if your ceremony or your programs will make some kind of mention of your dad. (Ours did not, actually ... MH elected to remember his mother privately ... so you don't have to do any kind of public memorial if you'd rather not.)
  • Options
    People won't ask you.  They'll figure it out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry about your loss :(

My fiance and I have a weird family situation so we needed something to fill the space too...
    Instead of a traditional father/daughter dance, I am going to dance with HIS dad, and he is going to dance with MY mom. It's a way of blending our 2 families together and letting them both be a part of the special day!
  • Options
    I don't know if this is an option at your location but you could do some kind of slide show during the mother son dance that shows pictures of you with your dad along with pictures of him and his mom.  That might be cute but I would think you would need to be ready for some tears if you did elect to do this. 
  • Options
    LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment

You could play a song that would have been your father/daughter dance, and have a slideshow of pics to honor your father and his memory.

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    sorry only read OP post, didnt realize idea was already posted.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My best friend had her uncle walk her down after her dad had passed as well. At the reception she danced with her Uncle to "The Dance" by Garth Brooks as the father daughter dance. It was beautiful - but VERY sad. Everyone was in tears, even people that weren't very aware of the situation. They bounced back, but there was some quiet moments after that, and depending on the people, could have been awkward (luckily it wasn't).

What would your dad want you to do? Would he want you to try and force some type of spectacle so other people could watch and understand or would he just want you to be comfortable and happy on your wedding day - you know the answer to that - so do what makes you happy!!! I think from the sound of your first post you were mainly worried about what other people would be thinking - DON'T!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.  My FIL died of colon cancer as well. 

As for the dance: you don't need to replace it with anything.  My wonderful DIL's dad died when she was 11.  She didn't have a spotlight dance, but she wouldn't have dreamed of taking away that lovely moment from our son and me.  So we did our dance, and then the party moved on.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    My feelings are that since my wedding will be taking place a little over a year after his passing most of us will just be starting to move on and it will be too much to do a slide show or song -- We had a very special slideshow at his funeral that had everyone in tears for ages.
    I love my Dad and want to mention him in some way but don't want it to turn into a sad day.
    I think I'll stick with the Candle, the Pendant for my flowers, and note in the program.
  • Options
    shan, my DD felt as you do.  My mom died exactly 3 weeks before DD's wedding, and she and her grandma were really close.  In addition, my SIL's dad had also died 9 months earlier.

Neither of them wanted a big thing as it would have been too difficult.  So they each did something that they knew was for their grandma/dad, but didn't neceessarily shout it.  My DD wore her grandma's earrings, my SIL wore Nike shocks, and our minister included them in the blessing before dinner.

Good luck to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.  I'm sure that is hard to deal with during the wedding stuff.  My father left when I was 13 and I haven't seen him since.  We are doing a mothers dance.  I am going to dance with my mother while he dances with his.  I've never seen a bride dance with her mother, so I was glad to see that a PP said that she had seen that before.  I know some of his side will be totally confused, but whatever! :) Whatever you choose will be great!
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.... you could def. skip it all together that's what I'm doing and then my FI is just going to dance one of the first slow songs with his mother (as in after our first dance and when the other guests are dancing) that way they still can have their private moment and chat a little without 200 ppl being forced to stare.
  • Options
    I know how you feel.. I lost my father after a very short battle with pancreatic cancer in Aug 2009. I will be married in Sept 2010, and I have had questions asked about how I am going to do this. I have decided that I am not going to dance with anyone else.. My fiance will dance with his mother though. I am so sorry about your loss.. He is in a better place and will be watching you from above. :)
  • Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I actually am not inviting my father to the wedding and I feel like I am in the same awkward spot of the pressured "father daughter dance". I am planning on dancing with my 3 brothers instead. Not all at once of course but one right after the other.... I hope people will think it's cute :)
    ~ Jess & Marie 1-1-11 ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards