Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How many appetizers to order?

I have a two hour gap between the beinning of the reception and dinner.  (Ugh, I know.  Unavoidable.)  Anyway...  We are serving beverages and cocktails during the the cocktail time (and we have a latin dance lesson, as we'll have latin dancing during the reception.)  My question to you all is...  How many appetizers should I order for a wedding of 115-120?  I want enough so that everyone gets some, no one is famished and they aren't drinking on empty stomachs, but not so much that they are stuffed by the time dinner (with salad and cake) arrives.  Suggestions for count?

Re: How many appetizers to order?

• Options
    Well, you don't want anyone drinking on an empty stomach with the reception two hours off.

I think 5 or so per person should soak up enough booze so that everyone is bright and happy for the reception.
  • Options
    5-7 pieces per person.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_many-appetizers-order?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b16ef3f5-9def-4858-929d-ae4592e5bbbaPost:abf62270-2166-4697-b6e4-31762d0873aa">Re: How many appetizers to order?</a>:
    [QUOTE]5-7 pieces per person.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

I believe this is also what our venue told us we should plan on for a moderate-heavy cocktail hour.  We're planning on having the butler-passed appetizers in approximately that amount, but we're also having a standard fruit/veggie/cheese display that is help yourself.  I find it annoying at a cocktail hour being hungry and having to stalk a butler for food lol.  The combination of both will allow people to grab something if they are hungry but also limits it to a certain extent so they'll have room for dinner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards