Wedding Reception Forum
Options

I'm kinda lost....

We are planning on getting married next October and I dont even know where to start...any suggesting???

We are both enjoy being outdoors but I dont want anything camo or redneck...I need HELP!!

Re: I'm kinda lost....

• Options
    Look through some bios and the Real Weddings section of this site and start to get an idea of what you like and what you don't.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    LOL... I'm getting married at the same time, and I haven't done A SINGLE thing.. I'm really freakin out over a venue.. I'm so scared that everything is gonna book up before we decide!!
  • Options
    Start with a budget.  Then work from there, on to venue, and etc.  The Knot has a feature that gives you a timeline of when you should be doing things.  These boards are full of information.  Good luck with your planning!
  • Options
    I started with the venue and my dress.  Everything kinda took place after I chose the colors for my invites.  It was hard for me to see the big picture but each step I take takes me closer to what I really want. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    budget - date - venue - dress.  After that everything should start to come together.  Hang around and ask questions when you need  to and don't turn into a huffy pretty little princess if you have people telling you something is not a good idea or if you get called out for developing an attitude.  It happened to us all and looking back, the reality checks and honesty were much appreciated.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    You have PLENTY of time. I'm a June bride, heavy wedding season, and I just placed the deposit on my venue 2 weeks ago. The first thing I put any money down on was my dress, then the venue, then the photographer. I would recommend checking out wedding blogs for ideas (www.oncewed.com www.stylemepretty.com www.projectwedding.com/blog) and get an idea of what you want your wedding to look like. I had actually started thinking of ideas and researching before we were even engaged so I kind of knew the direction I wanted to go in. But you've got more than enough time to think things through. Good luck!
  • Options
    Budget, budget, budget always has to come first.

Once you determine your budget, you can determine your guest list.  That will let you know how much you have to spend pp on your reception.  That will help you determine your reception venue.

Then you'll choose your ceremony location and how much that will cost you (venue use, musicians, officiant, ceremony decor)

From there, you'll know how much you have left to spend on attire, flowers, paper (invitations, etc), transportation, decorations, honeymoon.

Budget.  It's always about the money.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Ditto Trix!

Budget is number one, number of guests is number two.  Only then can you determine venue, size, food costs/pp, etc.
  • Options
    I am in total agreement on setting the budget first. If you don't, the money just leaps right out of your wallet and then you'll wonder why you can't pay that credit card bill.

I also had that "deer in headlights" problem when I got enaged, and after we settled on a budget range, FI and I sat down and talked about what represents us as a couple. As we're writers, we thought it would be cool to do an "Old Hollywood" wedding, and once that decision was made, the rest came easy because we had a framework with which to move forward.

But it is daunting in the beginning. Don't worry, we've all been there, and all gotten through it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards