Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Alternative Favors

Hey brides!

In lieu of traditional wedding favors, my fiance and I are making a donation to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society because my grandmother passed away from Leukemia 23 years ago.

I'm just wondering, do we/should we have anything additional for our guests? Like a small piece of candy? Or is that not necessary?

Just wondering...

Re: Alternative Favors

• Options

While I think that its a wonderful idea that you are donating, I don't think it can be technically called a favor for the guests. I might get a ton of flak for this but IMO I don't like the donation as the whole favor idea, maybe do some candy in the color of Leukemia and Lymphona Society (orange I believe) with a note attached about the donation?

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    My standard answer for donation "favors":

Make your donation.  I believe in donations.  I make them myself.  I think they're a good thing to do.

But don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  They're a favor to the organization, and to you.  You're taking the money you'd spend on a little something for your guests and giving it to someone else.  How do you figure that's a favor for your guests?

Honestly, I don't need a favor.  I don't really want a favor.  You're already giving me food, drinks, entertainment.  I don't need a matchbook or m&ms (although I LOVE m&ms) as a thank you.

But please don't in any, way, shape or form think that giving $$ to a charity is somehow doing something for me.

I'd liken it to a guest coming to your wedding and giving you a card that says "In honor of your marriage, I have given a donation to the "eastern micronesia tsunami prevention fund".  It may be important to your guest, but it probably doesn't mean anything to you.  So it's not really a gift for you, is it?

ETA:  I think a giving a favor to announce your donation "favor" makes absolutely no sense at all to me.  Give the candy as your favor.  Then give the donation.  But there's no reason to mix the two.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    My suggestion would be make the donation and then go to VistaPrint and get free business cards (for free, pay only a couple bucks in shipping) that state "In lieu of favors we have made a donation to ___ ."

This is what we are doing.  I got the business cards that have little hand prints on them and uploaded the logo for the charity and the message says... "In lieu of favors we have made a donation to the Butterfly Walk for CancerFree Kids in honor of ___ ___ (sister of the bride)"

We also have "Thank you for sharing our special day" on the card and the cancerfreekids website is listed at the bottom.

In my opinion in lieu of means instead of and by giving anything else you are kind of defeating the purpose... if you are giving something else it should say in addition to shouldn't it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Good for you for donating to a charity, I am all for that.  But it's not a favor for your guests, you're doing it for YOU.

If you want to skip favors that is fine, they are not mandatory, and won't be missed.  But I'm not a fan of  the little cards or notes that indicate a donation has been made in lieu of favors.  To me, advertising one's good deeds cheapens the gesture and makes it appear as self congratulatory.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards