Wedding Reception Forum

eating without bridal party?

Okay, here is the question.  The ceremony is at 5:30 with photos to follow.  Taking photos before the ceremony is not an option.  However, the reception is immediately following the ceremony at the same place.  What do we do with the guests during the photo shoot?  The buffet style meal will be served downstairs.  There is also a time issue.  The bride wants the dancing to start by 7:30, however we don't think we will be eating until 6:45 or 7:00.  The bride and groom said they wanted the guests to start eating right after the ceremony while they were doing pictures so that dancing could start by 7:30.  Do you think would be ok to do? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Re: eating without bridal party?

• It's their wedding, so technically if the bride and groom are okay with it, the guests could start eating without the WP present, though that's rather unorthodox. When is the WP planning to eat in that case?

Why not do a cocktail hour for the guests during the time photos are being taken? The bride may have to concede to pushing dancing back a bit if she intends to use this timeline.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • I wouldn't want to be at a sit down dinner without the B&G... although cocktail hour is okay for them to be absent.  I don't see it as horrible, but I would definitely prefer (as a guest) to have them there.

Also, would the bridal party be allowed to eat the meal when they return?  I think it would be rude to have the WP miss out on dinner.  Maybe, they can eat their dinners when they return (just don't expect them to be on the dance floor right away).  Just make sure the food for them is warm and plentiful.  You wouldn't want the people who spent so much money on the wedding to be eating cold scraps.

BTW.. pictures before the ceremony worked out well for my friends with a Friday evening wedding.
  • I think it's strange but I don't really think it impacts the comfort of the guests either, so it doesn't bother me.  As long as the wedding party gets to eat, that is.

Would a cocktail reception be an option for them?  We had a cocktail reception with heavy hors d'oeuvres to be the equivalent of a meal, and the lighter ones were during the cocktail hour.  They could just have all of them out during the cocktail hour.  It's not a money saver but just a different style of reception.
  • Can the couple do a cocktail hour for an hour and then begin dinner?

• We had a cocktail reception and tried to encourage people to start eating while we were out in the hall taking pictures, but no one wanted to.  We ended up cutting the pictures short and making our entrance early so that people would feel comfortable getting their food.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Normally the guests are treated to cocktail hour while the WP does photos, and then dinner begins for everyone.  

If they want the guests to start dinner that's fine.  Typically, the WP finishes up with photos fairly quickly while the B&G are still doing the last bunch, so the WP could head in to dinner after about 30 minutes and still get time to eat.  That is, if the B&G are ok with not eating.  
  • The obvious answer is a cocktail hour and then they can join their guests for dinner. I would think it was really weird to go right into the main part of the reception without the couple and the bridal party (though I actually think it's weird to even have the cocktail hour without the couple and the bridal party). Of course, the really obvious answer is for them to do pics ahead of time, though you said that's not an option.
  • The other aspect is that they eat after their guests, then they're going to feel extremely rushed.  As it is a couple is rushed on their wedding day through the meal.  IMO, they should plan a way to enjoy it.
  • Definitely a cocktail hour.  I can't do pictures before hand either, so they are all being done afterwards.  So we are having a cocktail hour to entertain the guests until we arrive at the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards