Wedding Reception Forum
Options

brunch reception help.

We've decided to go with a brunch reception rather than a classic dinner reception for financial reasons and also the food is better, in my opinion. :)

Anyway, i have never in my life been to a reception that wasn't at night so i need help. I won't have dancing, and there will only be some alcohol (like bloody marys and stuff) so how will my wedding flow? Dancing to me fills the time, if there is no dancing how will my guests stay happy and occupied? I WILL have music, but it won't be dancing music.

I'm just not sure how everything will flow. My probable reception site allots 4 hours for the reception.

Has anyone been to a brunch reception? and if so how did it go? what did you do?
dating since 10/31/05

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: brunch reception help.

• Options
    I've been to several daytime receptions.  Typically instead of dancing, people just visit and sit and talk with family and friends.  They usually only last about 2.5 hours or so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My life's dream in terms of weddings is to go to a brunch reception.  Sadly, I've never been to one.  I really want a belgian waffle or pecan pancake and home fries or hash browns right now.  Does your drink menu include things like mimosas or screwdrivers?  Because that would be great.

We had a day time reception and people pretty much mingled.  They also didn't leave early.  There was dancing but most of our friends who loved to dance opted to talk rather than dance.  A few people tried to get the dance floor going but had a hard time because DH had put a lot of the corny line dances on the do not play list.  It wasn't any less enjoyable, the dance floor was just empty.

There were no formal dances, so we did:
    Bride and groom entrance
    Toast
    Blessing of food
    Heavy hors d'oeuvres served
    Cake cutting towards the end
  • Options
    haha yeah i would hope they would entertain themselves with talking, which im sure they would...on the other hand is it not 'rude' for me to assume they will? i dont know! LOL

and yeah there will be all the alcoholic brunchy drinks, and delicious foods :)
    dating since 10/31/05

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    haha aww thats so true, you're right. My fiance's family sees each other all the time but my family would rather catch up than dance thats for sure.

Our families aren't dancing people. lol
    dating since 10/31/05

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, we had been telling people in the last few minutes of the reception that they could head on over to the after party if they wanted.  Then we proceeded to work on gathering our stuff and loading cars while the caterer cleaned up. 

An hour later when our venue rental ended, bar had been closed for 1 hr 15 minutes and the guests were supposed to hae been out of there for an hour according to our rental agreement, we had to tell people "Hey, it's time to move on to the next place."  And again, that was with very little dancing and 4 hours allotted for ceremony, cocktail hour and cocktail reception.  As long as your guests are friendly with each other and like to talk, don't worry about dancing or people leaving early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards