Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Where to seat Bridal Partys dates?

2»

Re: Where to seat Bridal Partys dates?

• Options
    Sakelp, I think your story is the ONLY ONE that people can reference as one where some good came from it.

For some reason, all the others where the posters mention disliking the situation seem to fall on deaf ears.
  • Options

I just would also like to point out that if you're going as a bridal party member and you are bringing a guest with you, how rude is it of you to start demanding or expecting that the bride/groom is going to accommodate everything around how you're "feeling".   The bridal party is away from their guests for an hour or so of dinner.  You can physically see the person that you're with!  And, going as a guest or a bridal party member, do you really expect to be with them every second - even while they're getting pictures done as a group?!  No, I don't think so.  Let me ask you this: on your first day of school when you didn't know anyone, did you make it through the day and the rest of that week making new friends?  I bet you did.  I think you can make it through a couple hours. 

I'm not saying that giving the bridal party the opportunity to sit with their guests is wrong, I just don't think separating them is rude.  They're there for you, celebrating you.

Plus, all my bridal party members and my FIs will all have the opportunity to meet at bridal showers, parties, and gatherings throughout the next few months so that they are going and already know someone.

• Options
    Sounds like you're attempting to justify something that's rude fallingwater.

If it's that OK to split a couple, sit at a table away from your husband at your wedding reception.

• Options
    banana - Like I said before, I work in catering so I've been to thousands of weddings.  You have no idea how often the bride and groom are not next to each other every single second.  The bride is constantly being pulled away to say hi to so and so and show the ring and do a spin with the dress, etc.  With good intentions, the bride and groom always attempt to begin saying hi to all their guests at the beginning of the night together, but after a little bit, the groom (for example) trails off to say hi to his friends from work because your grandmother that you havent seen in a while is talking your ear off about something unrelated and you still have a hundred guests to go.

Let' just put my thousands of wedding experiences and working in catering up against your handful.  I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying you should be a little less close minded.
  • Options

I didn't ask you if the bride and groom might talk to different people.

I said that if you thought it was so OK to split a couple then sit separately from your spouse.

There's a COMPLETELY different thing to have a conversation without your significant other and to be seated away from your significant other.

And your working in catering is an experience in some social behavior - but not necessarily in appropriate etiquette.

Established couples should not be split for dinner.

Period.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_seat-bridal-partys-dates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:bd7c8dc9-c077-452a-ae30-2ff9c77afe7bPost:06ab712f-b0fa-49c1-b2e8-703b1e648307">Re: Where to seat Bridal Partys dates?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Let' just put my thousands of wedding experiences and working in catering up against your handful.  I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying you should be a little less close minded.
    Posted by fallingwater[/QUOTE]

Why would common decency and manners be closed minded? 

I am saying you are wrong.  It is rude to seat people separate from their dates.  Period.  The fact that other people have done it or that your guests may forgive you for it does not justify rude behavior.  
  • Options
    So you've attended thousands of weddings.  I'm not sure what the bride/groom having separate conversations had to do with head table vs. sweetheart but just because a thousand brides have done it doesn't make it right.

It is rude to separate couples.  End of story. 
  • Options
    if you want a head table that is perfectly fine-it gives a nice photo opp when the toasts are made by the MOH or BM.  Sitting the dates at a different table is not a big deal-they are adults I'm assuming-one meal is not going to kill them-no matter how shy they may be.  You can always put convo starters on the tables to get people talking. 
    MrsCiaccio2B
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_seat-bridal-partys-dates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:bd7c8dc9-c077-452a-ae30-2ff9c77afe7bPost:d93a45bb-5e10-453b-94ec-4a362518f389">Re: Where to seat Bridal Partys dates?</a>:
    [QUOTE]if you want a head table that is perfectly fine-it gives a nice photo opp when the toasts are made by the MOH or BM.  Sitting the dates at a different table is not a big deal-they are adults I'm assuming-one meal is not going to kill them-no matter how shy they may be.  You can always put convo starters on the tables to get people talking. 
    Posted by MrsCiaccio[/QUOTE]

Presumably, the bride and groom are adults too.  So THEY could be seated separately from one another at the reception too and be OK by your logic.

Adults can "deal with" tons of things.

But that does not mean that it's acceptable to be rude to them because they can deal with it.  I could deal with not eating at a reception but that doesn't mean that  a reception without food is OK either.   The reception is FOR the guests.  It's never appropriate to do inappropriate things to them at the party FOR them.

And convo starters.  Really?  I haven't used ice-breakers since I was running floor meetings as an RA in college.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards