Wedding Reception Forum
Options

My room is too small. Can I remove banquet tables after dinner to make room for dancing?

Hi,  I am planning my wedding in less than six weeks.  Everything is booked.  I finally found a great spot, but the room is maxed out with my banquet tables for dinner, no room for dancing. 

I was thinking of having a couple of tables removed by the balcony doors after dinner is done to make room for dancing.  This would displace two tables of people.  There is space outside to sit.  Do you think this would work.  Any ideas on how to tell people that the table will be removed tactfully? 

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

Re: My room is too small. Can I remove banquet tables after dinner to make room for dancing?

• Options
    There's no tactful way to tell two tables full of people, "Sorry, we're taking away your seats and you need to sit outside."

Bad plan. Think of something else that does NOT involve taking away their seats and table.
  • Options
    Why so soon?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
     DDs wedding the bridal party & dates/spouses will site on both sids of a table down the center of the room.  After dinner, everyone will be invited to another room (where the bar is) to watch them cut the cake.  While they are cutting the cake the caterer's staff will remove the center table (t VERY long tabe because there are 22 in the wedding party.)  

They will move some of the round tables from one end of the room in to the space where the bridal party table was. This will clear room for dancing.  The bridal party will lose their table but guests won't (they will be told ahead of time that their tables/chairs & "stuff" will be moved. We will leave extra chairs around the perimeter of the room and people can pull them up wherever they want, at any table, to visit and chat.   We figure the bridal party will mostly be on the dance floor, because this group loves to dance.

• Options
    I think it would be odd to remove some tables. I would feel really shitty if I was at a table that got removed. If you planned on having dancing you should'nt have booked a venue that couldn't accommodate it.
  • Options
    beamer84beamer84 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_room-small-can-remove-banquet-tables-after-dinner-room-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:bf64cfaf-5a7c-4daf-9394-6c5135545232Post:0dd3eff6-e723-4b78-bb6c-1e5ea9591253">Re: My room is too small. Can I remove banquet tables after dinner to make room for dancing?</a>:
    [QUOTE] DDs wedding the bridal party & dates/spouses will site on both sids of a table down the center of the room.  After dinner, everyone will be invited to another room (where the bar is) to watch them cut the cake.  While they are cutting the cake the caterer's staff will remove the center table (t VERY long tabe because there are 22 in the wedding party.)   They will move some of the round tables from one end of the room in to the space where the bridal party table was. This will clear room for dancing.  The bridal party will lose their table but guests won't (they will be told ahead of time that their tables/chairs & "stuff" will be moved. We will leave extra chairs around the perimeter of the room and people can pull them up wherever they want, at any table, to visit and chat.   We figure the bridal party will mostly be on the dance floor, because this group loves to dance.
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

This sounds reasonable to me. The WP should understand, and all guests get to keep their seats and tables. I like that you'll have extra chairs. This way if the WP wants to sit again, they can.

To the OP: can you do something like this? It provides a distraction for the guests while tables are removed/moved. If you have to remove guest tables, try and be sure it's tables with young, healthy people. IMO, any grandparents or anyone with some sort of injury should have their seat remain stable.
  • Options
    And some guests might start to leave after the first few dances- just make sure people have chairs (they could be pulled up at other tables) increasing the socializing!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Of course you can!  I went to a wedding once where we were told before dinner that our table would be moved for dancing.  Tables were assigned and we were put there because we were more likely to dance anyway.  So choose carefully!  Don't move great grandma's table!
  • Options
    can your event be moved to a larger room?
  • Options
    If I were told that my table was being removed, I'd probably just head home after dinner, since it would certainly feel like I was being kicked out of the party.  I'd just skip dancing, since it's probably too late to cut your guest list.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards