Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ad for a book about "Bride Speeches" freaked me out - do I need to give a speech?!?

I am not afraid of publc speaking in any way shape or form but when I saw an ad for a book about how to write your bride speech I kinda freaked out.  I don't think I have ever been to a wedding where the bride gave a speech!  The BM...yes...the MOH...yes...the FOB...yes...I have even seen the groom thank the guests for coming but I have never seen a bride give a speech.  This is not an aspect I have thought of.  What do you knotties think about bride speeches?  Yes, No, or Maybe SO?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ad for a book about "Bride Speeches" freaked me out - do I need to give a speech?!?

• Options
    Eww, lol I would never give a speech!  But me, I don't do public speaking or anything like that.  I've also never heard of or seen this....  I'd do the whole personal thank you's, etc...
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    You certainly do not need to give a speech. I've never seen the bride or groom give a speech.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks girls!  I have not seen this done either and wondered if I was missing something big I needed to be thinking of!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry, I've seen it done.  And I plan on doing one myself.  :)
    It is the same thing as the groom giving the speech.  Generally I've seen couples do this speech together.  But if you want to let your new husband do all the talking, go for it.  As long as one of you gives a thank you toast, I think it's totally fine.  
    Mike and Kelly 10.01.10
    MSP Signature Challenge:Favorite Registry Item=Wine Cellar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO!! Updated 06/20/10

• Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I usually see the bride and groom give a short thank you speech together. Personally, I think it's really nice -- it's their party; it makes sense they would take a moment to thank their guests.

My ex- and I stood up together and both spoke at my first wedding.

ETA: But you certainly don't need a book to give a minute's heartfelt thanks.
  • Options
    I did the "thank the guests for coming" thing.  Then again, we didn't have a groom (it was a same-sex wedding), so we would have been waiting a long time if we had waited for the groom to give that speech.
  • Options
    FI is an awesome public speaker so I'll have him do the thanks for coming speech.  I'll do a rehearsal dinner speech.  :)
    Our Wedding Day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards