Wedding Reception Forum

Childrens Reception Entertainment

We will potentially have 25 children at our reception next year 4yo and up. I'm toying with having a craft area set aside for them with maybe a local childminder to supervise. Obviously no paint or felt tips (I can just see a purple handprint on the back of my dress)! Has anyone got any ideas what I could provide or seen any great solutions to this? We do know a childs entertainer as well that we will be having. Just want the sproglets to have a good time too!
Thank you Ladies! :-)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Childrens Reception Entertainment

• We will be having 20 childfren at our wedding also, ages 2-12. I plan on having them o on an Ispy hunt around the reception with the help of an adult. I found the idea on a wesite and thought it would be perfect for all the kids. Especially since my friends daughter feels left out that she is not in the wedding party. I plan on assigning her the job of reading off the things they need to find to the younger kids and leading them around. 
  • Maybe you could cover the table with craft paper and then just put out buckets of crayons or colored pencils and let them go at it.   Also, if you do a google search you'll find wedding themed activity sheets.  
    DSC_9275
  • We did coloring books and some other easy crafts.  If you ever go to JoAnn's, they always have seasonal crafts for kids that come in kits with all the pieces, usually like foam pieces that stick together to make something.  Otherwise, I would just keep it simple. 
  • When you say 4 and up... what's the up? Because most kids past the age of, say, 10 aren't going want to sit at the crafts table with the 4 year olds. And I'm not sure a childminder (?) is necessary. Parents can watch their own kids. A few coloring pages and crayons are all you really need, if that.
  • One idea I was thinking of doing is this-

It doesn't necessarily keep them busy all night, but maybe what is inside of the holes could be the fun thing that keeps them occupied. And the higher the hole, the "older" the prize.

I also thought of making an enormous "dart board" and getting nerf guns with the soft suction bullets and having kids play darts.

I'm in the process of thinking of some Price is Right games and trying to see if I can tweak them into games for the kids too... but I think I am going to be safe and go with crayons and coloring books :/
  • Honestly, I don't think a craft table is necessary.  The parents will come prepared with toys and such for their kids, and the parents will watch their own kids, so a babysitter or whatever you called it is not necessary.

You will be surprised, the kids will be more interested in eating the food and cake and dancing the night away...they won't want to be stuck in a corner coloring all night long.

• Woah, there, Caterpillar! If that's the kind of vibe you want at your wedding, (and if you want to put that much effort into hosting a game show) rock on! To me, personally, that's starting to sound like a kid's birthday party, and I would worry about kids playing nerf war, scrambling under tables and shooting the dj in the head with nerf darts. LOL (p.s. you would have to consider who is going to host this side kid-party. Would you hire someone? I'm sure you wouldn't dream of asking one of your guests to play babysitter all night) I agree with PP; kids will find ways to amuse themselves. At the very most I might consider a few coloring books.

• i agree with louisa. the babysitter isn't necessary (the parents have to watch the kids if htey bring them) and i also wonder about the 'and up' part of the age descriptions.

• The children are attending an adult event, so it is they that need to adapt to you, not vice versa.  If you want to provide some crayons and coloring books, fine, but otherwise you don't need to entertain them or do anything special for them. 
  • I know! I have a bunch of ideas that I know I won't be able to execute. In my venue there is a long narrow space that would be great for a few games. I probably won't be able to do any of my ideas (I'm still gearing toward the punch wall, and have kid favors in them instead of adult favors) but I was trying to give OP some ideas... obviously I failed. :(
  • Your ideas are exactly that 'your' ideas...just as our opinions are 'our' opinions. I personally will have children at our wedding but they will be sitting with their parents. I thought about providing entertainment but after reading these comments it made me more comfortable with letting the parents care for their little ones. I may provide a 'fun box' in case parents did not bring any entertainment. But thats just and idea and something I realize I want to do but don't have to do.

I love the punch wall idea but honestly I would use it for a birthday party before I would at my wedding reception. It is still a sweeet idea and thanks for the share!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_childrens-reception-entertainment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c27ffdb6-c889-46d1-a21a-cdd1c3be792aPost:93123520-41f7-402b-a5b7-b51129751e98">Re: Childrens Reception Entertainment</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know! I have a bunch of ideas that I know I won't be able to execute. In my venue there is a long narrow space that would be great for a few games. I probably won't be able to do any of my ideas (I'm still gearing toward the punch wall, and have kid favors in them instead of adult favors) but I was trying to give OP some ideas... obviously I failed. :(
    Posted by caterpillar85[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards