Wedding Reception Forum

First dance- to make it traditional or to make it a show

I'm kind of conflicted with what my fiance would like to do for our first dance. We are both fun and LOVE to dance, and was thinking whether or not to make it traditional and romantic or make a big show about it like everyone now adays is doing. What do you all think?

Re: First dance- to make it traditional or to make it a show

• it really depends on your comfort level but you could do a bit of both...do half and half...50% of the song will be your normal traditional slow dance with the nice formal romantic pictures and then you can pretend there was a missup in thep laying of the song and your dj can go into a f un dance song for the both of you to do.  that way you get a bit of both.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    I agree. Do a little of both. Its always fun to see what a bride and groom put together for their first dance. Our kids want us to dance to Party Rock Anthem but Hubby was like NO.....sourpuss. LOL
  • Personally, I'm not at all a fan of the choreographed dances that involve the bridal party.  Unless they were all members of a dance team, it just looks awkward.  I think most guests would rather see a sweet romantic dance.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I agree with tldh.. I know I would rather witness a real, romantic moment between a newlywed couple rather than something that seemed rehearsed. You can't prepare yourself for that feeling, and it would definitely feel a little too starchy for me.
    I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride; so I love you because I know no other way than this..

Oh look, it's a blog! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_first-dance-traditional-show?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c6226b71-6dc0-4a5b-a2d3-9c9f9a606de0Post:bf0df43d-4aa2-4300-9e6c-646ec93613f3">Re: First dance- to make it traditional or to make it a show</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with tldh.. I know I would rather witness a real, romantic moment between a newlywed couple rather than something that seemed rehearsed. You can't prepare yourself for that feeling, and it would definitely feel a little too starchy for me.
    Posted by cupcakecassie[/QUOTE]

Mark me in this category as well.

It was fun when the trend was new and original... now I sort of roll my eyes at every B&G trying to be "unique" and "surprise" their guests, especially when they use the "something's wrong with the song" thing in the middle of their first dance.

I'd much rather see a heartfelt moment between B&G than a rehearsed dance when the reality is that, unless you both are trained dancers, will probably be quite imperfect, off-beat, and (as someone who dances) rough to watch.
  • I think you can have a less traditional dance but still make it not much of a show.  I actually hate boring, choreographed waltzes where toes are getting stepped on and you can see their lips counting the beats.  DH and I opted to do a swing for our first dance because it was a bit more upbeat, worked with a song we loved, and we kind of just bopped and laughed our way through missteps.  There wasn't a 'fake out' of a slow dance first, or a sudden change in music -- we just entered right into it.

The other option is just not to choreograph at all, and just do the Jr. High swaying thing because, honestly, for many weddings larger weddings, those are the first private moments you really get to spend together all evening.  The looks on their faces as they talk to each other is always heartwarming.
  • I think the choreographed, group dances are incredibly tacky. I was a competitive dancer for 14 years, and my fiance loves to dance, but we'd never consider something like that. I've never been to a wedding where people actually liked those types of things. Maybe you could start with a goofy song for like 20 seconds and then segue into something more traditional?
  • TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    My dad and I did the evolution of dance. Was the biggest hit at the wedding. People were crying with laughter. We still get compliments on it. And out of the last couple dozen weddings I've been to I've only seen it done once which was at my wedding (I know they are on the Internet tho) so I'm not sure if it's more popular in other areas. So while others on here say it's tacky or boring I say guests will love it. Saying all of that I would keep your audience in mind, you and your FI's comfort level, amount of time you can practice, and how long the song is. My dad and I started of with a traditional song then went into the Evo of dance. Top 3 boringest moments at a wedding as a guest: 1-waiting for B & G to show up 2-toasts/speeches 3-dances (I can only handle so many slow songs where I'm just staring in a row) ETA: DH and I danced to a song less than 2 minutes, it was the most intimate time we had together for the wedding. Have a cherohraphed dance would have ruined that.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Eh I'm not a fan of the choreographed dances, mostly because they aren't a surprise and usually they're pretty awful.  I'd rather see you guys dance as a couple.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why not take a middle ground? Learn swing, tango, or a waltz and use that for your first dance. It'll be memorable, but not necessarily the full "show" concept.
    Two Drifters Off To See The World...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards