Wedding Reception Forum
Options

XP: Cake conundrum

FI and I have been to a couple different bakeries in the last week to taste test and figure out where we will order our wedding cake from. Our current dilemma is this...
Bakery A has a very homemade style reminiscent of old world baking traditions. They offer a lighter, fluffier cake texture and their buttercream is also light and fluffy and very much like whipped cream. 
Bakery B is a more trendier bakery with a more gourmet style. They offer a much heavier/ denser cake texture and their buttercream is thicker and not as sugary sweet as the former.
We liked different flavors from both places but ultimately can't decide which texture is preferable or more appropriate. So, my question is this:
Which kind of cake would you prefer? Light & fluffy cake with whipped cream like buttercreamORDenser/ heavier cake with heavier buttercream that isn't as sweet 
Also, we are having a full Viennese dessert table on the side as well... so there will be many dessert options to choose from. 

Anniversary

Re: XP: Cake conundrum

• Options
    In my opinion, a true butter cream has a lot of good butter in it, which makes it heavier and less sweet.  

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_xp-cake-condundrum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c666e569-3166-4699-aedf-94aadff9bd16Post:5c17b558-9d0c-4aad-aa1d-ef5195d31e5f">Re: XP: Cake condundrum</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my opinion, a true butter cream has a lot of good butter in it, which makes it heavier and less sweet.  
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I also think it is weird that you said the lighter cake/ whipped frosting made it seem more homemade tasting. When I bake a cake from scratch, my cakes are more dense than say a box cake or a grocery store cake. Same with a buttercream. It is generally more buttery and a little thicker than a grocery store cake.

Anyway, I'd go with the denser cake and the less sweet frosting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You might also think about your venue or the theme of your wedding. A backyard BBQ wedding might call for something different than a uber-formal, black-tie affair. FWIW, they both sound delicious!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I love cake period...I would eat it ALL lol

that being said, I don't like whipped cream type icing, but if it was a lighter buttercream, maybe because i love the buttercream flavor.
    Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Light and fluffy cakes with whipped frosting always taste like box cakes and canned frosting to me. 

There was this horrible movie years ago called Betsey's Wedding where the FMIL is talking about this wonderful bakery that makes cakes so light that you can barely taste it.  The MOB asks "Who the hell wants a cake they can't taste?!?"  That pretty much sums up how I feel about light vs dense cakes and frostings.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    A more dense, heavy cake might keep people off the dance floor...much like serving a heavy meal.  Just a thought.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_xp-cake-condundrum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c666e569-3166-4699-aedf-94aadff9bd16Post:9fb1ed3b-57dc-4651-9c3a-e44743fdc493">Re: XP: Cake conundrum</a>:
    [QUOTE]Light and fluffy cakes with whipped frosting always taste like box cakes and canned frosting to me.  <div>
    </div><div>There was this horrible movie years ago called Betsey's Wedding where the FMIL is talking about this wonderful bakery that makes cakes so light that you can barely taste it.  The MOB asks "Who the hell wants a cake they can't taste?!?"  That pretty much sums up how I feel about light vs dense cakes and frostings.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

</div><div>Lol! I've seen that movie and remember that line too! </div><div>
    </div><div>FWIW, the light and fluffy cake from Bakery A is not flavorless nor does it compare to a box cake from the grocery store. Actually, their chocolate cake with chocolate pudding/custard filling was moist and more flavorful than the chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling at Bakery B. And the buttercream at Bakery A is whipped but still buttery in taste so it's not anything like a canned frosting. </div><div>
    </div><div>Both cakes were wonderful. Bakery B's is just so rich that you hit a wall after a few bites. Bakery A's was just as delicious but delightfully lighter, which made it easier to enjoy to last bite. </div>

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards