Wedding Reception Forum
Options

no dancing for reception any ideas

my groom has a condition that keeps him from dancing does anyone have any ideas that we could do for entertainment at our recepton of about 100-150  we are still in the planning stages but other then karoky we are at a lost!!!

any ideas would be apreciated

Re: no dancing for reception any ideas

• Options
    Ditto MilkDuds that 1) the guests can still dance even if the couple can't or doesn't want to, and 2) you don't need any other entertainment.  Just keep in mind that without dancing, your reception will likely be much shorter than usual; we didn't have dancing because of the way our venue was set up and our reception only lasted about 2 hours.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    My fiance doesnt dance period, so in lue of that we are having a sit down dinner with a small band for music. We are also having little "staions" set up around the venue, like a table with a jar and best wishes cards that the guests can fill out and leave in the jar for us to read later. Another station we are having the frame that everyone signs. another station has the scrapbook and picture albums from our early relationship up to the wedding, just so everyone gets a feel for "our" story.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure why the fact that your FI can't dance means that no one else can?

You and your groom can spend the time visiting tables, chatting, catching up with friends and family, eating, drinking.  Your guests can chat, mingle, visit, catch up, and yes, dance.

And even if you decide to ignore my advice, please don't put in karoake, or other "entertainment".  Guests know how to behave in social situations without "games" or "entertainment".  It's a wedding.  Without dancing it will likely be a somewhat shorter wedding, but a lovely wedding nonetheless.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I agree; you can still have dancing even if one or both of you can't/don't want to dance. You can mingle with guests, enjoy each others' company, etc. And if you do choose to forego dancing, realize the reception might be quite short. Please don't fill with other "entertainment" like games or karaoke. Those things might be fun for an after-party but not the actual reception.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Many people choose to not to have dancing because they don't dance.  To avoid confusion, let people know ahead of time.  Enlist the gossipy aunts,cousins, they will be thrilled to be told outright to spread the news.   Have the reception laid out so there is no room for a dance floor.  Friends of ours threw an Afternoon Tea as their reception on the patio of a venue adjacent to a river.    They served tea, finger sandwiches, hearty appetizers and mini pastries.  

Their wedding "Cake" was a series of cake plates stacked with these mini pastries.  
    The bride and groom kept circulating to talk with each and every guest.  There was a single harpist playing non dance music.   It was a great time
  • Options
    I've only been to a few wedding where the B&G were on the dance floor; they spent most of their time visiting.  You are essentially hosting a party so if your guests are the dancing types, you really should have dancing at the reception.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I don't understand why your FI not being able to dance automatically means no one else can either. 
  • Options
    My fiance has mobility challenges, and we are not planning on having dancing at our wedding.  It's a shame there are those out there who can't understand our position.  We are just starting to plan our wedding, and I am looking at options that will not force guests to participate.  I have seen ideas with different games and decks of cards on different tables.  I have seen coloring books with crayons as a station for children.  Others have mentioned setting up a croquet set or badminton for outdoor reception activities.  A photobooth with silly props sounds fun.  I've even considered a more carnival feel with cotton candy, carmel apples, and a tarot reading fortune teller.  The sky's the limit!  I say, have fun, and create an event that represents you and your fiance.  If other people can't enjoy the day for what it is (a joining together of two people), that's their problem.
  • Options
    We're not much of dancers. We are having a dj who is going to basically just going to hit play and make sure the songs flow into each or stop it if someone wants to make a toast. But for the most part we're having just mingling with everyone. We'll be serving appetizers, desserts and cocktails.
    We do have an area where guests can take their picture with a polaroid and props and hang them up on a 'clothesline' and a candy display.
    Its just a time to celebrate the love you share for each other. Do what makes you happy. To each his own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards