Wedding Reception Forum

Guest book dilemma! Help!

I am stuck, we have two great ideas for alternative guest books. I want to have people sign fabric and create a quilt and my fiance wants people to sign stones which we would place in a vase on the landing of our stairs. I love both ideas, would it be wrong of us to have both? Is that too much to have people sign? Help! We cannot decide and I now want both.

Re: Guest book dilemma! Help!

• You could always do both and leave it as an option for your guests if they want to sign one or both. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe you could set one up at the ceremony and then have the other at the reception...

Or have the fabric by the entrance and then have the stones at their seat with a couple of markers and a sign stating what you want them to do with it.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • The fabric thing in my opinion is better. ink will wash off of stones over the years. a quilt can be nicely preserved and sprayed to keep the ink. then it could be kept in a large frame in your home, or a flag case that they use for american flags.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are you having a rehearsal dinner?  If you are having one you can have all the people who are at the rehearsal dinner sign the fabric and do the rocks at the reception or vice versus.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think two is one too many.....

As a guest, I don't think I would bother to sign both.  I'd probably just pick one or the other, and it would probalby be the one with the shortest line.   

I think the symbolism of the rocks in the vase better, though I'm not sure how the logistics would work....where would you get the rocks?  How would you transport them to the wedding?   How heavy is a vase full of rocks?  Once they are in the vase, how difficult would it be to look through the rocks to remember who was at the wedding?

On the other hand, quilt squares seem pretty easy.  It also has cool symbolism (especailly when you think about how years ago everyone used to come together to make quilts for newly married couples), and I think you will be more likely to look at a quilt than empty a vase full of stones.
    DSC_9275
  • I like the idea of having both, but as options for your guests.  FI and I plan to do the quilt as well but it will be months if not over a year until my grandma finishes it after the wedding so we plan to have an album by our photo booth too so guests can put a copy of their pic for us and sign a note about it...the way I look at it they don't have to do both and the quilt will be towards the entrance and will likely be their well wishes where as the album can be cute comments throughout the reception.  If you kind of separate the two like that I think it will be fine.  I think both of your ideas are great!
  • I wouldn't recommend 2, IMHO.  I think the fabric is a better idea and seems to last forever.  By forever I mean the rocks might sound good now but maybe after having kids and different decor you might not really want it. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Maybe you could have your guests sign 1 as a guest book, and the other they put advice for the couple.  Just an idea
  • I think signing both is too much.
    What if you do the quilt one at the rehearsal and do this at the ceremony
    The "Rock Ceremony is a beautiful "unity" ceremony that includes everyone who attends the couple's wedding. Although small, polished stones are usually used, the couple may choose to use any other token they desire... seashells, glass or crystal, flowers, etc. As you will see below, the guests make a wish for the couple's happiness and then the tokens are collected into a single container... each rock representing a wish and an individual present at the couple's wedding.
    They even have a saying to do it as a unity part of the wedding:
    ROCK CEREMONY
    Each guest has been given a small polished stone upon arriving.

Before you met, your lives were on different paths with different destinations. But love has brought you together and joined these separate paths into one. Each one of your friends and family here today have been given a small polished stone that represents their unique individuality and their presence at your wedding today. You also each have a stone of your own that symbolizes your previous separate lives, separate sets of friends, separate families and the different life's journeys you once traveled.

I will now ask that everyone please take out the stone you have been
    given and pause to make a wish or blessing for happiness and
    good will for the couple for the future of their marriage.

Now, we will collect the stones and the couple will then
    add their individual stones to the container as well.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards