Wedding Reception Forum

Only one course at dinner?

We're having a pre-ceremony cocktail hour where guests will be served hors doeuvres and light cocktails (Champagne, maybe seabreezes, etc.), then we'll have our ceremony and the cocktail hour will continue until dinner a half hour later.

Now, with ALL those hors doevres, should be still do soup, salad and entree for our reception or do you think the guests will be fine with just an entree by that point?

Thank you.
"So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
- all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Only one course at dinner?

• I'm doing the same exact thing. hors doevres then the main meal and after that cake. I haven't even thought about if it's enough. Of course it's enough. 
    Buying A Home
  • What are your hors d'oeurves?  There is a big difference between cheese and crackers and things like spring rolls and skewered meat.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I went to a wedding that did this.  I think I saw two hors d'oeuvres the whole time.  People were drinking before and after the wedding due to the pre and post cocktail hour thing so the food went quickly.  That doesn't mean you need a bigger meal - I think salad and entree is fine - just offering you some perspective as a guest.

Also - I know you didn't ask this, but are you telling all your guests in some way about the pre-ceremony cocktail hour?  The wedding that did this didn't.  My husband and I were late and hussled like maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad to get to the wedding on time only to get there and wait another hour before the ceremony even started. We skipped grabbing some food because we didn't walk to in on the ceremony and assumed that the reception would start soon after.  Nooo... not quite.  :-(
  • I think you will be fine, I would skip the soup, keep the salad. 

I'm offering 4 different hors d'oeuvres.  Dinner comes with salad.  And of course their is cake and candy buffet.  No need to overdo it on the food.
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Skip the soup, but keep the salad.
  • Good question.  I am not doing a pre-ceremony thing... but thought about it.  I think you can skip the soup and you'll be fine.  When i went to my tasting it was 11am, so i didn't eat breakfast.  I was full after the soup course LOL... and had a hard time finishing my main meal.  I had to take dessert home... and at our wedding, we'll have cake too. Plus  cockail hour.  Food is important but no need to over do it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_only-one-course-at-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:d6b16be5-4e3f-4cd7-baf3-df8d6da07311Post:670c2d6e-2084-4c48-8c11-d5b55fbf0ba8">Re: Only one course at dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding that did this.  I think I saw two hors d'oeuvres the whole time.  People were drinking before and after the wedding due to the pre and post cocktail hour thing so the food went quickly.  That doesn't mean you need a bigger meal - I think salad and entree is fine - just offering you some perspective as a guest. Also - I know you didn't ask this, but are you telling all your guests in some way about the pre-ceremony cocktail hour?  The wedding that did this didn't.  My husband and I were late and hussled like maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad to get to the wedding on time only to get there and wait another hour before the ceremony even started. We skipped grabbing some food because we didn't walk to in on the ceremony and assumed that the reception would start soon after.  Nooo... not quite.  :-(
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yes. I think we will say something like "Hors Doeuvres and Cocktail Service Starting at Six. Ceremony at half past six."

</div>
    "So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
    Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
    - all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_only-one-course-at-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:d6b16be5-4e3f-4cd7-baf3-df8d6da07311Post:8f2bafb4-86d0-4173-b2a0-6af59e8e1423">Re: Only one course at dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only one course at dinner? : Yes. I think we will say something like "Hors Doeuvres and Cocktail Service Starting at Six. Ceremony at half past six."
    Posted by futuremrsgates[/QUOTE]

That sounds great!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards