Wedding Reception Forum
Options

No toasts during dinner?

I just found out that there will be no drinks served during dinner at the venue we booked. I thought that we all would be able to make toasts while sitting at the tables and eating but now it looks like we'll have one toast right before dinner and that's it! We are having an open bar but I feel like it's more of an entertainment and there can'be toasts when people are already at the bar. Maybe I'm getting lost and there are not supposed to be more that one toast?

Re: No toasts during dinner?

• Options
    Why are you limited to one toast before dinner?  Usually people don't drain their glass with each toast; I've never seen anyone refill midway through the toasts, usually people just sip with what they have.  So if it's a matter of only having one drink, that shouldn't stop you from having multiple toasts.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I don't know why it's only one toast... This is what I saw in every package in country clubs and ballrooms. It's weird, because we do get an open bar and it means unlimited alcohol, so why wouldn't they just place a bottle on each table to make things even easier?..
    Anyway, now I have to come up with something to not leave people with empty glasses, because some of them can probably down all the champaigne faster than the others.
    What did you have at your receptions?

• Options
    If you let your guests know that the bar will be closed during dinner, most of them will stock up.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    I agree with aerin.  At my DD's wedding, the MOH gave a toast and people sipped whatever they had in the glass in their hand.  (DD actually saved $3 pp by not having a champagne toast).  Then best man gave his toast, and we all took another sip.

I don't know of anyone who yelled "Bottoms up!!!" and drained their glass after the first toast.  In fact, I've never seen that at any function.

The venue is telling you that you get one glass of **whatever** before dinner.  They're not saying you can only have one person SPEAK.  Big difference here.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    One glass is pretty normal. You sip after each toast not chug it. You can still have multiple people give toasts with only one glass of champagne per person.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    I think people know to pace themselves for toasts.  We did a mead toast at our wedding, and only poured one glass per person.  Granted, people may have only sipped because it's an unusual drink and nearly all of them were trying it for the first time, but then again, a lot of people don't like/haven't really tried champagne.  We provided DH's stepsister with a champagne/cider toast for her wedding, and we only went around once before toast began to fill the glasses.  Like I said, I've never seen anyone offer refills midway through the toasts.  It's never been needed.

And remember that people can toast with whatever they're drinking.  So if their champagne glass runs dry, they can continue to toast with their water or cocktail glass.  Or they can just raise an empty glass and not drink, or yell "Cheers" without raising anything.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Thank you all so much!!! I'm happy to hear that one toast is normal. I'm from Russia and though I don't want to add to the stereotype that all Russians drink all the time, we pour a little more into our glasses after each toast even if the drink is not finished - it's just a tradition :)  And we also say toasts during our meal, that's why I was so worried. But except my family, all our guests will be either Americans or Colombians, so it should be fine, according to all the responses here on the board.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards