Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Is this tacky?

I want a classy but laid back wedding.  I don't like going to weddings where you only get one bite of food and little cake.  I was thinking about having an outdoor wedding and serving grilled chicken, steaks, corn on the cob etc. but still have caterers and a bar tender...so it wouldn't just be self serve.  is this still appropriate for a wedding?

Re: Is this tacky?

• Options
    Sounds like fun!  We considered something similar and found that by looking at vintage country ideas we had a ton to work with to bring the theme together quite nicely!  What a fun wedding to plan.
  • Options
    Sounds like fun to me. I'd prefer that over all of the food we picked (I AM VERY PICKY!)
  • Options
    Honey it is your wedding.  If you want fried chicken and corn on the cob you go for it.  If it fits the whole wedding it will be lovely and people will have a good time.
  • Options
    I think it sounds fun ;)
  • Options
    Nothing tacky about that!  I'm sure your guests will love it. :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options

Just my kind of wedding because I'm not a super fancy person.  I don't need a meal with 4 different forks.  I like to keep it casual.  I think it will be lots of fun.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Great plan and not tacky at all!
  • Options
    Sounds great to me!

I will add that if you are going to weddings where you get only a little food and cake you aren't attending weddings with very good hosts.  All the good weddings I've attended had hosts that made sure the guests never left hungry, despite how formal the event was.
  • Options
    That sounds like an awesome wedding!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like a great time! It's your wedding and these days anything goes! just have fun in the moment and good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    lichs58lichs58 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I think its a great idea! It is important to remember that it is your wedding and you have to forget about what other people are going to think of you and do what you want.

I'm having a ball park station at my wedding with hotdogs, mini pizza and cotton candy. Trust me, I know people are going to have something to say about them, but who cares  what they think? Your wedding is about what you think! I think this is a theme you can really play up and enjoy!
  • Options
    I think it sounds great! It made me hungry :)

I actually wanted to do more of a southern backyard type wedding. I wanted to serve comfort foods such as fried chicken and homemade mac n cheese like Britney Spears did. Not because SHE did it of course.  

Seems like the kind of wedding that all the guests would kick their shoes off after the ceremony and have fun!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:e39f6dbb-b269-462a-81d3-68180cb4410cPost:86afcf7b-7b96-4d23-91c9-71bf5bc495d2">Re: Is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think its a great idea! It is important to remember that it is your wedding and you have to forget about what other people are going to think of you and do what you want. I'm having a ball park station at my wedding with hotdogs, mini pizza and cotton candy. Trust me, I know people are going to have something to say about them, but who cares  what they think? Your wedding is about what you think! I think this is a theme you can really play up and enjoy!
    Posted by lichs58[/QUOTE]

I also thought about pizza! I worried myself to death worrying if people would think it was tacky (I know stupid). I saw it online and it looked really cool. We were going to do a nacho stand and fun midnight snack stations as well for the reception. I'm glad to see someone else is doing this. I would love to see how it turns out.
  • Options
    I think that it sounds great!!  I am sure people would have a great time with it!
  • Options
    Well we are getting married Friday... I will let you know what people think!
  • Options
    Definitely not tacky! I would love that! Just make sure your venue and attire match the overall casual atmosphere that that type of food brings, and it will be perfect. I'm just saying don't expect people to chow down on corn on the cob in black tie. :)

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards