Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wedding on a Sunday- complications?

My fiancé and I are looking at two dates for our wedding- a Saturday and a Sunday. The Sunday is the same date as my grandparent's wedding anniversary, both of who I am very close to and who have been saying from the time my fiancé and I started dating that we would get married today. However, my fiancé's mother is concerned that places such as flower shops and beauty parlors will not be open on a Sunday. I know we cannot be the first to consider getting married on a Sunday, so I am wondering if anyone knows how much of an extra hassle it would be?

Thanks for any knowledge/ideas! :)
-Jen

Re: Wedding on a Sunday- complications?

• Options
    I'm getting married on a Sunday and have had no problem finding very willing vendors.  Some vendors prefer doing business on non-business days because the wedding won't interfere with their normal business.

The problem with Sunday weddings is that some people will not get Monday off, so they will either leave the reception early if they're local or RSVP "no" with a higher rate if they're OOT.
  • Options
    I'm going to a Sunday wedding this weekend.  Luckily I'm not working right now and DH owns his own business so he's able to take off of work with little issue.  That's the only thing I can think of as an issue would be guests trying to get the next day off of work.

When it comes to your vendors, if you book them in advanced then you don't have to worry if they're open or not.  They'll find a way to work around your schedule.  Times are tough and I highly doubt they will turn down business because it's on a Sunday.  And hair people can come to you, you don't always have to go to them.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My son and DIL were married on a Sunday.  They had no problem with vendors.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I'm getting married on a Sunday, and so far it has actually made planning a lot easier!  Most vendors I have contacted have actually been pleased to work with me on a Sunday, because it's a slower business day anyway and they are more likely to be able to give me their full attention - instead of, for example, hiring a florist that has to work for 3 different weddings on the same Saturday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-sunday-complications?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f2093750-1bbc-4953-b2f9-f15ea7c498f6Post:a428c716-42b3-4224-83cf-7380d5d89cf6">Re: Wedding on a Sunday- complications?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married on a Sunday, and so far it has actually made planning a lot easier!  Most vendors I have contacted have actually been pleased to work with me on a Sunday, because it's a slower business day anyway and they are more likely to be able to give me their full attention - instead of, <strong>for example, hiring a florist that has to work for 3 different weddings on the same Saturday.</strong>
    Posted by theJuke2[/QUOTE]

Actually, the flowers are usually only delivered on a Saturday, but are arranged earlier in the week, so that makes no difference.

Some people say they save money on the venue and other vendors on a Sunday, though I agree with others in that your guests may not be able to stay long if they are OOT or have to work Monday.  This is your wedding, not your grandparents anniversary party.  Do it when you feel works best for you and your guests.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    I am also getting married on a Sunday. I don't think it has affected our wedding plans one way or the other.
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-sunday-complications?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f2093750-1bbc-4953-b2f9-f15ea7c498f6Post:5ac4fb10-ccde-4e81-b23f-8a5a44ed3841">Re: Wedding on a Sunday- complications?</a>:
    [QUOTE] The problem with Sunday weddings is that some people will not get Monday off, so they will either leave the reception early if they're local or RSVP "no" with a higher rate if they're OOT.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. Finding Vendors won't be a problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    I would imagine you wouldn't have any issues with vendors for your wedding on a Sunday. The issue is more the guests being much more reluctant to attend a Sunday wedding especially if they have to travel for it. I honestly don't like Sunday weddings because I feel like I can't fully enjoy myself because all I can think about is checking the time to make sure it's not getting too late and not being able to drink as much since I have to get up early and work the next day.
  • Options
    Wedding vendors are always open on Sundays.  Florists will deliver for your wedding and hair artists who do weddings will come to your house.  I wouldn't worry about it.  
  • Options
    We're doing a Sunday wedding, but it's in the afternoon.  We'll be done by about 4 so people can still drive home.  Most of our guests are either in town or live about 2 hours away.  Our family is mostly OOT, so they're just taking off Monday instead of Friday (had we had a Sat wedding.) 

We've gotten a lot of vendor discounts for having a Sunday (and November- off season) wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards