Wedding Reception Forum
Options

New Yrs Eve Reception- Good or Bad Idea???

Has anyone had any experience planning a New Yrs Eve wedding reception? We're considering it but concerned about hotel, transportation, etc availability and cost.

Re: New Yrs Eve Reception- Good or Bad Idea???

• Options
    I personally haven't. But I've seen it on the winter boards when we were originally planning a winter wedding. mrs.lueke (I think) has some amazing photos!! I dreamed about having a winter wedding like hers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio/Blog 151 Invitedimage 108 Yes!image 22 No :-(image 21 Are turning me into a bridezilla!image RSVP Date Sept. 16
  • Options
    In my area, NYE weddings are extremely costly. The price is especially hefty the weeks in December and January surrounding that date are usually the cheapest of the year, and then the price skyrockets back up for the NYE holiday.

That being said, the girls on my local board who've had NYE weddings said that they were a lot of fun.
  • Options
    I think it would be fun, but I tend to think of NYE weddings as extravagant black tie affairs.  Go big or go home.  I love small, simple weddings any other day of the year, but I'd be kind of disappointed to attend one on NYE.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I think it sounds like a great idea, but like others said, make sure the venue lets you stay until at least 12:30 or 1. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto PPs, I think it would have to be a huge party in order to work for a NYE party.  And at or near a hotel  so that your guests are able to take advantage of the party.

Also keep in mind that some people have standing annual plans for New Year's Eve and others prefer to be home by midnight or shortly after due to the amount of drinking that goes on for New Year's.  So depending on your friends, family and budget, it may or may not work for you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_new-yrs-eve-reception-good-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f25923ef-0fb7-4ae6-8905-b77524dfc83cPost:9c62f076-0a36-4288-bfac-84a8efc7defa">Re: New Yrs Eve Reception- Good or Bad Idea???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto PPs, I think it would have to be a huge party in order to work for a NYE party.  And at or near a hotel  so that your guests are able to take advantage of the party.

<strong>Also keep in mind that some people have standing annual plans for New Year's Eve</strong> and others prefer to be home by midnight or shortly after due to the amount of drinking that goes on for New Year's.  So depending on your friends, family and budget, it may or may not work for you.
    Posted by gottahavashorti[/QUOTE]

THIS.  Though I don't have standing plans, I do like to hang out with my friends.  I may be disappointed if your wedding was not super extravagant fun when I could be relaxing with my friends and eating junk food.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    My wedding is this NYE, and everyone is excited!  It wasn't more expensive for me, nobody charged more because technically, it's not a holiday, NYD is the holiday.  It was actually cheaper because it's on a Friday and in the off-season.  We have a DJ who has awesome lighting for the reception. There will be open bar for about 6 hours. Close to a hotel is good...weirdly the closest hotel to my venue is like 15 mins away, but we're looking into getting transportation for the guests back to the hotel.  Dinner will be buffet style, but we're going to get more food to put out later due to all the drinking, etc...

If you're talking about NYE 2011, I would look into venues soonish to price them out and stuff.  We booked ours in Jan.  Also, look into DJ's b/c they fill up fast.

If you have any questions, just message me!  I'm sure there's stuff I'm leaving out, lol.  (Just let me know on here that u PM me)
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm going to a New Year's Day wedding next year (1/1/11) - but this post just made me realize we have not received a save the date!  Maybe they're not doing one, but that's a difficult date to assume people will be able to attend!
  • Options
    It's a holiday, flights, hotels are more expensive on NYE.

If you still want to have it on NYE, send your STD's early since your guests might have plans to travel or do something else.
  • Options
    psuxray07psuxray07 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010

I sent my STD's out with 9-10 months before the wedding, and everyone is either out of state or out of town, and it was plenty of time.  (4 more to go!)  And I'm sending invites mid-late Sept. because people have been asking about them lol. 

Also, for the hotels, check about discounts since it's for a wedding.  Again, NYD is the real holiday, not NYE.  We booked a Comfort Inn and my guests only have to pay $74/night, and anyone who is staying longer than 1 night only has to pay $69. 

*12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    i've been to 2. i hated them both. it's freaking freezing here ususally (and crap weather), everything is 10x more because it's a holiday. i'm not a big NYE fan anyway so i dont see what the draw is.
    but if you want to do it-do it!

• Options
    PSU- it may not be a "national" holiday, but it really is a holiday- especially with it being linked.  People are still going to have to travel during the holiday season and will still have to find a room or something. 

As for STD's, not everyone sends them out. 
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    When I worked at Disneyland, 1/1 may have been the paid holiday for employees, but 12/31 was the day when you had 80,000 people screaming for your blood.  1/1, fairly tame.  Even though most people have 1/1 off and not 12/31, most hospitality and entertainment facilities treat both as holidays.

I also agree that I would decline a NYE wedding if it meant having to travel.  Nothing short of a family funeral could get me into an airport between the week of Thanksgiving and the weekend of New Year's.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I'm a NYE 2010 bride.  Some things are more expensive like the DJ and wait staff.  I think the prices will vary a lot by location.  It's definitely not your normal wedding and its a little trickier to plan but all of my family and friends are pretty excited about it! 

If you have any more questions, hit up the December 2010 board, there are number of NYE brides on there that will be happy to answer your questions.
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'll echo the others -- you'd have to be having a GREAT PARTY (not just a wedding) for me to be remotely interested in attending your NYE's wedding. Even then I probably wouldn't be thrilled. DH and I have had a NYE party every year since we've been together so this year will be our 7th. It's really become a tradition in our crowd and everyone knows we do it so it would suck to not be able to host one. I'd only go to a NYE wedding if it were a close family member or really good friend.
  • Options
    I would keep in mind whether you have a lot of OOT guests who will need flights. I went to a wedding the weekend after new year's in Miami and our flights and hotels were still way more expensive than they would have been a week later. It was fun and I'm glad I went, but the flights were double what they would have been. If most people are local than that isn't as big of a deal. But you will get people who complain (as you will with any possible date you could pick :)
  • Options
    Although this is a week later, it may put a damper on some people and their Christmas plans.
    someecards.com - What's the difference between peanut butter and jam?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards