• Options
    Please join us for a reception
    to celebrate the marriage of
    Mr. and Mrs. Andrew and Katherine Jones
    date
    time
    place
  • Options
    You know, I get you want to have a wedding, but seriously, if you're having such a hard time making ends meet, you should NOT throw a party.  Go to the courthouse, get married, and in a few years, when things are better- have a vow renewal.

this just sounds like a bad, bad idea.
  • Options
    Yes! ditto! That or have a ceremony for people to attend with cake and punch. That can be done for under 1k ANYWHERE! Having people come to just the reception is so gift grabby and impersonal, no matter the situation it screams sorry I didnt want you to be at our WEDDING but please come to a party. Brides to be seem to stop thinking about the wedding as a marriage and instead as a reason to have a party and its WRONG!
  • Options
    Sorry, hon, but I agree with the pps.  If you're struggling financially right now, I'd forgo the PPD and have a courthouse wedding with your immediate family, followed by a nice lunch somewhere.  It will still be lovely, and at the end of the day, you'll have the same result as you will with a PPD>

You don't NEED a PPD, you WANT it.  And therein lies the difference between a mature person and an immature person.  Only you can decide which you are.

You have a child to care for.  I'd not be spending money that I don't necessarily have when I had a child to support. 

Sorry.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_courthouseinvitation-wording-party-after-very-limited-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:f74e3e0d-8e43-4a46-8b87-d15684e88189Post:8e266e6b-30f6-4a1a-a097-8e9d543a0123">courthouse/invitation wording for party after? very limited budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]4 months ago, we had our first child. a few months before my fiance was laid off and he was unemployed for 6 months. Posted by anawilliams[/QUOTE]

This timing doesn't make sense.

Couldn't you have the ceremony at your reception site?  Since you're doing work for her instead of paying the rental fee, couldn't you just do additional work to make up for spending more time there?
  • Options
    The first post is perfect for the invites. And for the rest of you, you should be ashamed of yourselves. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_courthouseinvitation-wording-party-after-very-limited-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f74e3e0d-8e43-4a46-8b87-d15684e88189Post:ab6a1e52-6147-4717-b339-5f0ab09d97c2">Re: courthouse/invitation wording for party after? very limited budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first post is perfect for the invites. And for the rest of you, you should be ashamed of yourselves. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Posted by rmb47680[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh.  First post and you're calling us out.  Thanks for the advice.  We've never, ever been told that before.

rmb:  Someone posts a question on a public message board, they get responses.  It might not be something they want to hear, but it's usually something they NEED to hear.

Because you see,  these are NOT validation boards. It's very easy for brides to get sucked in by the black hole of the marketers of the wedding industry.  They often lose perspective because a wedding tv show, magazine or website (yes, including The Knot) have fed them a line about weddings and what they can and should do.

And usually, the information is so OOL that a wake-up call is needed.  And that's where we come in.

Let's suppose you're thinking of doing something that a magazine, website, tv show, or poorly written book tells you is okay.  But what's going to happen IRL is that people will be rolling their eyes and making snarky comments behind your back.  Wouldn't you rather know it BEFORE you embarrass yourself?

I would.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_courthouseinvitation-wording-party-after-very-limited-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f74e3e0d-8e43-4a46-8b87-d15684e88189Post:32d4d653-6291-42c2-b2d3-45485f7004fa">Re: courthouse/invitation wording for party after? very limited budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm now embarrassed to be from Arkansas.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

LOL stage.  I did consider paging you last night, so that you could redeem Arkansas in the eyes of the Knot community.  =)
  • Options
    I would say something like the first poster did: The pleasure of your company is requested at a reception celebrating the marriage of Mr. and Mrs.... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards