Wedding Reception Forum
Options

"No Children"...only immediate....

My question is...

If we have the "No kids" rule and make it clear to our guests, but then still invite our immediate neices & nephews - Will our guests understand that those children should be there, or will they question why their own children couldn't attend, and be offended?

FI refuses to not invite His neices & nephews (which I fully understand) but I want to make sure I'm making the best move here.
I'm thinking about the budget...If we nix the children and a few other "+ Guest" invitations - We could afford some Reception entertainment, maybe even a bigger splurg on the Honeymoon or add it to the down payment on our first home!
Ah priorities.....

Re: "No Children"...only immediate....

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_childrenonly-immediate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:fd7e8c84-f552-468e-aa8c-d04e98939bb6Post:f90d1dc0-22c8-4e31-abc4-c0b6ca208067">Re: "No Children"...only immediate....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to "No Children"...only immediate.... : That's fine to only invite the children of immediate family. When you send out invites, don't put things like ADULTS ONLY on them.  Just address them to only those invited.  If some friends/family RSVP back with their children, you call and tell them you are sorry for the confusion but the invite was only for X and X.  If they say they won't come without their kids, you say "we'll really miss you at the wedding." It would be incredibly rude of any guest to ask why your nieces and nephews are there, but their children were not invited.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

This. We are inviting children of family only and if any guest DID ask (although they shouldn't) why those kids are there, we have a definite cut-off. We're not picking and choosing children, and it sounds like you wouldn't be either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I'm doing the same as you... Only our brothers and sisters kids are invited.  In my circle of fam and friends it is common for there to be no kids allowed so most people assume that is how my wedding will be.  Honestly, I am not bringing up the fact that these specific kids are coming... It really isn't anyones business.  If someone asks, I just say that only my neices and nephews are able to come, otherwise it will just get too crazy.  I can't pick and choose favorites.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_childrenonly-immediate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:fd7e8c84-f552-468e-aa8c-d04e98939bb6Post:a8b0251d-25a9-4b67-ac82-d905dfe9739a">Re: "No Children"...only immediate....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm doing the same as you... Only our brothers and sisters kids are invited.  In my circle of fam and friends it is common for there to be no kids allowed so most people assume that is how my wedding will be.  Honestly, I am not bringing up the fact that these specific kids are coming... It really isn't anyones business.  If someone asks, I just say that only my neices and nephews are able to come, otherwise it will just get too crazy.  I can't pick and choose favorites.
    Posted by Erica1011[/QUOTE]

We did the same thing and not one person mentioned it.  It's pretty standard in our circle.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

I had this conversation with my mom, though for me it was because I love some of my cousins kids, but others are complete terrors... we're talking screaming, running, hissy fit throwing. I asked how I could invite certain ones and not others. She suggested setting a general age lmitation (like no one under 14) and then allow special expections for the 2 or 3 under that age that we want there (it also makes it easier that one will be in the wedding party as a ring bearer and one is that kids younger sister...). She said odds are no one would even notice and if they did, worst that woudl happen is they would be a little upset for a little while. Whats really important is what you want and who you want (or dont want) to be there.

• Options

My FI and I decided no children also.  The only children that will be there are the ones that are in the wedding.  (five children). My FI has children and I don't and we made the decision together.  Our guest count is limited and our budget wont allow us to have adults and children.

Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for asking this...I was just wondering how this would work out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards