Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Food for reception, I need opinions :)

If I am having my wedding around 6pm, with the reception to start around 7 or 730pm I am having an issue deciding what food to have at the reception.
I am trying to choose between 2 choices.
I either want to get a bunch of appetizers like finger foods with fruits and cheese and sliders and salad and veggies and things like that.
Or I wanted to do a pasta station where we would still have salad and fruits and cheese but instead of a bunch of finger foods we would have where you choose what pasta you want and what sauce you want and whether you want chicken or vegetables.
The only problem with having a pasta station is we are having our rehearsal dinner at an Italian restaurant the night before & I don't want people to feel overloaded with pasta (although they don't have to eat pasta at the rehearsal dinner)
The pasta station would be a little more, but I want people to feel full since it is around dinnertime and there will be heavily drinking going on. I just don't want to get a bunch of appetizers and people not be full.
Suggestions/Comments?

Re: Food for reception, I need opinions :)

• Options
    Since it's dinner-time, I would go with pasta. And how many people are attending the RD vs the wedding? I would not base your decision off of the RD food (like you said - people don't have to eat pasta at the RD). What kind of finger-foods would you consider having?
  • Options

i think a pasta station along with some appetizers or small plates of some other things would do it. along with the pasta bar though have chicken veggies, etc.. to mix into the pasta-for example-penne with vodka sauce and grilled chicken or rotini wtih roasted eggplant with marinara sauce. that way it's not just a bowl of pasta.  fetuccini alfredo with chicken etc .. you get what i'm saying here.

• Options
    If you don't want to do a pasta station (I don't think it's a big deal, as long as your RD will be fairly small), you could have a stir fry station or a fried rice station.  Same idea--people pick ingredients, sauce, and it's made for them--but not a repeat of pasta. 
  • Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011
    So you want to have a 7pm reception and only serve finger foods? Personally, I don't think that is enough, and neither is just a Pasta Station. You need more food with more substance, and more variety. I'd do the appetizers, finger foods, and then the pasta station, plus a chicken dish, and a beef dish. And some sides to go with them.
    If you are going to just have finger foods, I'd probably suggest stating that on your invitations.
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    You can't just have finger foods or one pasta station for a dinner time wedding.

You can however have heavy enough appetizers that constitute a full meal.

For our welcome party, we didn't want to do a plated meal or buffet, we wanted it to be cocktail style/mingling. Everyone was at both that and the wedding, so we didn't want it to be repetitive.  We had passed hors d'oerves (~10 pieces per person); a nacho station; cheese, crackers, veggies, fruit; a salad station; a pasta station; and a slider station, with all sorts of different kinds of sliders. We also had a dessert station.

The party started at 8 pm, but since it was Friday and most people had travelled or come from work, we needed to make it dinner-like, not just appetizers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jll3jjll3j member
    First Comment
    I was thinking fruit & cheese station with either ham rolls or some kind of rolls with meat & crab cakes. Then the pasta station with either penne or fettucinni & choose marinara or Alfredo. Then choose chicken &/or veggies or neither & toppings such as olives or peppers or parmesean cheese. Then have salad & bread. Also there will be wedding cake for dessert. I think that sounds like plenty of food? Or do u disagree? If it was finger foods I was thinking salad & fruits & cheeses & couple slider sandwiches & maybe one entree to choose from like chicken Alfredo. I don't think I need to have a pasta station PLUS a beef dish & a chicken dish. Pasta would be the entree with meat or without whichever the guests prefers.
  • Options
    I like the finger food idea.  Since it's dinner time you need to have enough to be considered a full meal (13-15 pieces per person).

DH does a noodle station at work.  It's ramen noodle with 4 different protein (chicken, shrimp, beef and tofu) and 10+ vegetables.  People love it. 

Maybe consider doing both finger foods and one station.    Everyone eating at one station will be a strain.  At the same time people might want something a little more filling than just finger foods.  Having both might solve your problem.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-reception-need-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:feceea33-fa1f-41e6-9374-bc6b4bddd197Post:6ea06e27-d5df-46cc-a244-d198cd27d68e">Re: Food for reception, I need opinions :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the finger food idea.  Since it's dinner time you need to have enough to be considered a full meal (13-15 pieces per person). DH does a noodle station at work.  It's ramen noodle with 4 different protein (chicken, shrimp, beef and tofu) and 10+ vegetables.  People love it.  Maybe consider doing both finger foods and one station.    Everyone eating at one station will be a strain.  At the same time people might want something a little more filling than just finger foods.  Having both might solve your problem.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Yup, I think you should have both too. The only difference seems to be the sliders. So why not have a pasta station and a slider station both?

I don't know if my people just eat a lot, but we definitely ate all the food I posted above.
  • Options
    jll3jjll3j member
    First Comment
    I don't have enough money to have 2 stations. My guest list is almost 250 & it's already a whole lit for what I've mentioned above
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    Other than cheese and sliders, what are the other appetizers? I think if they're heavy enough, and there are enough of them, I'd rather have that than a pasta station. I think it will look like more and be more satisfying because of the variety.
  • Options
    jll3jjll3j member
    First Comment
    I was thinking fruit station, cheese station, fried green tomatoes, shrimp salad cups, some sliders, some ham rolls, salad & roasted veggies. Pasta station would be more filling don't u think?
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-reception-need-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:feceea33-fa1f-41e6-9374-bc6b4bddd197Post:54d781fd-eb80-4b46-b4e6-1203349c6063">Re: Food for reception, I need opinions :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking fruit station, cheese station, fried green tomatoes, shrimp salad cups, some sliders, some ham rolls, salad & roasted veggies. Pasta station would be more filling don't u think?
    Posted by jll3j[/QUOTE]

Maybe, I don't really think of pasta as a meal though and don't eat it very large quantities, so I'm not the best person to answer the question (I'm from a very traditional Italian family and we consider pasta its own separate course). I don't feel very full after eating pasta, even if it has meat on it.

With the appetizers, it would seem to me like more of a cocktail party vibe you were going for. With the pasta, I'd just think you were missing a course or a main dish.
  • Options
    The more food the better! You just never know, and if people get to your wedding early (pretend 5:30) they will definitely be hungry by 7 or 7:30. If your budget doesn't allow for more food -- see if there's anything you can do to switch caterers, be a little more creative with restaurants that cater vice traditional event halls, etc. Another option (though you may not like it at all) is to push the wedding back an hour and then do the finger foods with lots of desserts. That way, folks can eat beforehand and won't expect a full hosted dinner.
  • Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-reception-need-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:feceea33-fa1f-41e6-9374-bc6b4bddd197Post:e98dde93-c112-449c-acd5-db918c9c3785">Re: Food for reception, I need opinions :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking fruit & cheese station with either ham rolls or some kind of rolls with meat & crab cakes. Then the pasta station with either penne or fettucinni & choose marinara or Alfredo. Then choose chicken &/or veggies or neither & toppings such as olives or peppers or parmesean cheese. Then have salad & bread. Also there will be wedding cake for dessert. I think that sounds like plenty of food? Or do u disagree? If it was finger foods I was thinking salad & fruits & cheeses & couple slider sandwiches & maybe one entree to choose from like chicken Alfredo. I don't think I need to have a pasta station PLUS a beef dish & a chicken dish. Pasta would be the entree with meat or without whichever the guests prefers
    Posted by jll3j[/QUOTE]
    So that is still basically cheese and fruit, some rolls/crab cakes, and then Pasta for dinner.. I just don't think that's enough food. There needs to be more entree choices besides pasta. Even if you include chicken as an option to add to the pasta, its still pasta. And not everybody even likes pasta. If you don't have enough money to feed your guests properly, then maybe you should consider reducing the size of your guest list.
  • Options
    I would go with the pasta station. If your budget can handle everything you need for it or the cater which ever. I would love to have a pasta station at our wedding but we have 500 guest and thats way to much for us to handle we are having finger foods and different things. Great idea with the pasta thing though.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-reception-need-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:feceea33-fa1f-41e6-9374-bc6b4bddd197Post:7cca414f-b1f7-45d4-8488-60bf6a1ff147">Re: Food for reception, I need opinions :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have enough money to have 2 stations. My guest list is almost 250 & it's already a whole lit for what I've mentioned above
    Posted by jll3j[/QUOTE]

then you either need to cut your list or change the time of the reception. First and foremost you need to take good care of your guests. your original post is NOT ENOUGH for that. you need to, HAVE TO, provide enough food. period. no question.

• Options
    jll3jjll3j member
    First Comment
    First and foremost I completely agree that I need to take care of my guests at the reception and pasta IS a meal, have you looked at restaurant menus that display chicken alfredo or spaghetti as an entree. They also come with salad and bread which would be provided in addition to the pasta bar & in my opinion that would be properly serving the guests dinner. Also I cannot attempt to please EVERY one of my guests so if they don't like pasta, then oh well. I can't cater to everyone's needs and I don't think that any reception should accommodate tastes of every person that attends, thats ridiculous to even think that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards