Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Glow necklaces, are they tacky?

I need help everyone. 

I come from a traditional family and am planning a traditional wedding in a Church and the usual reception since my parents are paying for most of the wedding, but my fiance and I have a fun and party going side. Our DJ is doing all sorts of lighting and I was thinking of maybe having glow necklaces and bracelets for everyone to wear with the lights. I am just wondering if this is tacky? Please if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would love them!!!!
Thank you.

Re: Glow necklaces, are they tacky?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I don't think it's "tacky", just an unnecessary expense.

Since it would remind me a bit of high school prom, I probably wouldn't take one. But if you want to get some for your DJ to hand out, it shouldn't be the end of the world.
  • Options
    Not necessarily tacky, but a bit juvenile. I may be biased though because glow necklaces were really popular at all of the high school graduation parties I've attended, so I associate them with casual get togethers and high school students. I think when DJs give out props, it has the potential to seem a bit cheesy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I think it's fun.  The people who also think it's fun will take them and wear them, the others won't.
  • Options
    They're NMS.   They remind me of raves or for for little kids.     
  • Options
    Eh, it's pretty common around here, so I think it's fine. We're having them, but ours will be pretty casual.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm in the "eh, not tacky, but seems a little immature" camp.  It just screams more like a kid party, than a wedding.
  • Options
    At FIs cousin's wedding last year the DJ handed them out to the kids. I don't think they're necessary, but if you want to do them there's no problem with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    i personally wouldnt give them out,sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel neutral on this. I don't feel they are necessary, but if they were available to me at a wedding, I think I'd rock one.

If you decide to do this, I recommend waiting until the end of the night. I wouldn't want them present in all of the photos.
  • Options
    It feels very college to me (when rave culture was all the rage).  We used to go to black light parties and buy the small glow sticks to put in your mouth.  College was so damn fun.  But, I'm well aware that I'm older (over a decade removed) now.  I can't tell if I'd like the throw back or side eye it.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with it etiquette-wise, but it seems kind of childish.  I'd definitely save it for a moment when formality isn't required if there is going to be one.
  • Options
    Our DJ gave them out and everyone, including myself loved them. I however wouldn't have spent money on them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was gonna get some just for the kids
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think they are fun.  After a few drinks and the music ramps up I would definitely rock them on the dance floor.

I understand that weddings should be a classy affair, but they are still parties and not everything has to be stiff and formal.  If you want them then have them.  The people who want to wear them will and those who don't won't.

• Options
    I think they're really fun at weddings with kids. I've seen glow sticks, hula hoops, and bubble machines. Once kids are out there playing and dancing, they seem to attract a lot of adults, too. I say go for it.
  • Options
    I don't think that would fit with the vibe of the rest of the event. A formal, traditional wedding followed by glow necklaces? And I agree that is probably an unneccesary expense.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't do it because it doesn't "fit" us and our personality. But if it fits yours, why not? It's your wedding. It could mkae for some pretty unique dark photo opps.

I wonder if there's some alternative ways to make it your own? You could do a photo booth  or maybe use a game that utilizes the glow necklaces for a particular fun dance rather than the whole night?

I hired a comedian to do a routine he has about couples and my mom didn't like the idea but I polled people I know and they all said "That's totally you!" (which is true) and it personalizes the event and makes it different.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards