Destination Weddings Discussions

Ramblings... Vent.. Long..

So this past week has been one big wedding nightmare...*can someone please wake me up?!?!?*  Last Saturday DF came home very upset and said that his parents are no longer helping us pay for anything. (just and FYI, my parents are paying for our entire DW... we never asked them for help with anything but his mother insisted on hosting the AHR at their house.. yes the same AHR I told her I DID NOT want, but decided to go along with it anyway.) They took it upon themselves to book 10 rooms at a hotel (they did no research, did not find the best deal and I had no choice in the matter) the Sunday night before the cruise that they said they would pay for but are now unable to cover, so we are now stuck with the added cost because I don't feel its okay at this point in the planning process to call our wedding party and expect them to pick up the cost..
 Right off the bat when talking about what I wanted for the AHR  I realized that this was not about what I wanted but more about her, and again I just let her have it thinking that would be easier than causing problems, I figured I would just show up and have a good time and this would give her something to do to feel included in the wedding... ( on a side note, when we first started talking about the AHR and my ideas she called me "frugal" & a "penny pincher" like it was a bad thing.. ugh..maybe if she was more frugal and a penny pincher she wouldn't have had to bail on paying for the AHR.)  I do get that it's a bad economy and their business is not doing as well as it was a year ago, but seriously the fact that they just told us this with less than 70 days until the party and after 150 STD's have been sent out, seriously wigged me out....Did I mention that they expected us to just pick up and pay for everything, I told DF that there was no freaking way that I was going to pay for a party I never wanted and if I was going to pay for a party it was certainly not going to be at FIL's house it's a 2+ hour drive for most of my family, but seeing as STD's for a party have already been sent out and invites to my shower are in the mail I felt like we have to offer something for our guests that day.
After much thought and consideration and my wonderful dad coming to the rescue we booked a 3 hour bowling party at a really cute Flintstone themed alley called Bedroxx . While this is not what I had in mind when I  bought 600 bucks worth of blue candy and sea shells, I think it will really be a blast. We have reserved 25 of their 30 lanes are going to have all the pizza, wings and soda we want and while it's not what I would have envisioned for a wedding reception I think it will be a super fun way to celebrate our marriage with all of our friends and family.
And just in case any of you are wondering I managed to make it thru this crisis without screaming or crying (at least not in front of anyone besides my dad :) and am pretty proud of myself for just going with the flow..
Margaritas for everyone who made it thru this!!

Re: Ramblings... Vent.. Long..

• Wow that really stinks!  I hear you, I have given in to very little..but the two things where I said "whatever, let them have THIS" have ended up causing more stress and nightmarish events than everything else COMBINED!

Let this be a lesson to both of us and all..go with what you want in the first place!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • To be honest with you... a bowling party sounds awesome, and part of me wishes I had thought of that. It really sucks having to deal with this stuff, but it sounds like your AHR will be really fun for everyone in the end. Keep your head up!
  • You are one amazing person.

If it were me, there would have already been bloodshed!

Hang in there, I bet everyone will have a BLAST!
  • I agree with pp, the bowling party will be a lot of fun.  I'm sorry you've got all this suddenly placed on your shoulders..
    ::hugs::

imageimage
  • Like pp said, bowling sounds like a LOT of fun!  

I'm sorry that everything fell through with his parents, but it might work out for the best in the end since you'll at least have more control over how things go now.  Stay positive... you're in the home stretch now!
    Anniversary
  • I am so sorry FI's parents (or mom) are bailing on you, but the new reception idea sounds waaaaayyyyy better.  You should totally play it up and maybe get you and FI (DH by then) bowling shirts made that say MR & MRS  or Just Married.  Just think of it this way your reception will be unique and unforgetable if you play it up right =)
    New bio with helpful info for DW knotties!
    Ashley & Josh ~ The Reef Resort ~ Grand Cayman~ May 15th 2010
    imageimage
  • Thank you so much ladies for you support! I was a bit worried that the bowling party might be tacky, but my worries all just flew out the window..
    Ashely- Thanks for the great idea!! ::running to go look for shirts now::

• Bowling party = best idea ever.  Your dad sounds like a wonderful man and you guys are going to have a blast at your AHR.

My mom has pulled quiet a few "oh I'll pay for that"  and backed out when it came time to do it.  Now she claims she is paying for the welcome breakfast.  Tony and I had a good laugh over that one.  I guess now you know never to trust your MIL to follow through in the future.
    IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • I'm sorry this happened to you! But, it sounds like something good will come out of it. Bowling party sounds fun.
  • I just found this thread - I missed it today but went to look after your post up there - I think this idea ROCKS. I agree - it is so original, and no one would expect it, and you can make it so cute and amazing.  And frankly, it will probably be a lot more fun for people than a traditional AHR anyways.  Total thumbs up - I also bet it will drive your FMIL nuts, which will be an added bonus :)
  • Well, it sounds like you are one callllmmmm person.  I think it's awesome that you were so nice to his Mom--allowing them to have their way--and yet you and your family are the ones stepping in to save the party... and yes, the party that you DIDN'T want.  Good on ya!!  Great karma for you!!

My family and I went through a few years where we would have birthday bowling parties... it was GREAT.  We would have about 30-50 people on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon and a cake... oh, and beer!!  Oh, this is great.  I'm very happy for you.

And I love the bowling shirt ideas!!  If it were me I'd try and have them white... and wear white pants... oh... I'm so excited for you.

To make it a celebration of your wedding, you can always get some pictures from the DW and have them around for people to look at... That way it reminds people of why they are there.

Joanne

Joanne

Joanne

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards