Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

NWR: Doctors - Grrrrr

Can someone please let me know how it works with doctors?  When you have a problem, say an ear infection, and you want to be seen by a doctor so someone can check you out and write you a prescription is you need it...how does it work?  Do you just call yours doctor's office and get someone to see you same-day?  Are there multiple doctors available to you?  Or do you get serious effing attitude and are told you can only see YOUR doctor and your doctor is only there 2 times a week and you can maybe get a take-it-or-leave-it appointment?

($10 if you can guess which type is my doctor.)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: Doctors - Grrrrr

• Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never had a problem getting an appointment same day.  You can also try CVS Minute Clinic or Walgreens I think has something similar.  You can just stop in and they will write you a script for what you need. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've been to the same Doctor since I was like 7. And I love the guy. But he is swamped with patients and is only in the office 4 days a week....so I'm answering as 'Even though he's known me my whole life- I still have to fight to get an appointment- even if it's serious'

Honestly- if you think you have an ear infection- try the CVS Minute Clinics. When I broke out in rash everywhere bc of a penicillin allergy- I tried to call my doctor and they couldn't see me until the next day- screw that- so I went to the Minute Clinic and they wrote me a prescription for something right away.
    For stuff like that- they're actually really good.

Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to one of the clinics.  Will they actually look in my ear?  I don't even know if that's what it is, but I need someone to look at it.
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    yeah, they are actual doctors that they have there.  They will look you over and prescribe you whatever you need.  Not every CVS and Walgreens have them, but you can search on their websites to find one close to you. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you need a new doctor...

I'm not a fan of my doctor, but I get to see the PAs (or the other doctor in the office), and if they're available, I prefer to see them than my primary doctor.  But the only reason I won't switch is bc she is one of the few doctors in my area who also does fun lady check-ups, so I don't need a gyno (and I prefer to have a woman do those).  I just go to my gen prac, and save the extra $15 copay.

Though there is one PA that I refuse to see.  I will wait an extra day to avoid her, because she's really patronizing.  She makes me feel like a moron every time I'm there.  I thought I had a sinus infection... and she says "Let's see... here are your symptoms.  Can YOU guess what the problem is?"  She talks to me like she's Steve from Blues Clues...
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_nwr-doctors-grrrrr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:18324926-6d56-41e2-8009-c17f775b7fd5Post:1fab6d56-739f-4f8b-b01e-147036f0fdde">Re: NWR: Doctors - Grrrrr</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah, they are actual doctors that they have there.  They will look you over and prescribe you whatever you need.  Not every CVS and Walgreens have them, but you can search on their websites to find one close to you. 
    Posted by amy727[/QUOTE]

ditto.
    If they think you need to see your regular doctor- they will tell you. But I've been there twice and had good experiences both times
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  I was able to get an appointment at 4pm today and am hoping to make a new patient appointment with a different practice today too, so I can go and know that its the last time I have to deal with them.  I totally understand how crazy busy doctors are and how it can be tough to get an appointment, but I've never been happy with their patient/customer service and my doctor's inaccessibility.
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011

Cara- I think you live near me, but the Walgreens on Germantown Pike (up towards where Woods used to be by the Wawa and McDonalds) has the clinic.  The CVS in KOP off of Henderson also has one. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I shouldn't admit this, but I haven't been to a regular doc in YEARS.  Being on BCP, I don't take antibiotics, so I don't bother to even make an appt.  Luckily I haven't gotten really really sick to where I needed to go.  I haven't even done an annual check up since probably 2006. Embarassed
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ditched my doctor last year due to nonsense like this.  

My grandmother used to be an office admin for a doctors office, so I know for a fact most offices set aside "sick visits" for people in your situation who call and need to be seen that day.  When my old office wanted me to wait 5 days to see someone last year when I ended up having the swine flu, that was it - I was done.  

My new doctor is awesome and last time I needed something saw me about an hour later.  He also called in a prescription for me when we were out in CA and I realized I needed it immediately after, no problem.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am dropping them. I've been meaning to anyway. They are such a PITA.  I called a new place to make an appointment, and they seem easy, but I need to switch my PCP officially with my insurance before I can see them.

I just hope my doctor finds something wrong with me today, or she's really going to be pissed that she gave me an appointment.
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One thing I do like about MD, is they have urgent care places everywhere.  You just walk in, they take most insurances with a reg doctor copay (not er copay), AND they have xrays, labs, etc ONSITE.  I just went today, thinking I had broncitis and after a chest xray, I have early stages of pneumonia.  I wouldn't have known about the pneumonia until DAYS later if I went to the my doctor and had to wait to schedule an xray.   By then I'd be full bown pneumonia.  I think Christina hospital is starting to get them now too... it's a GREAT idea.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards