Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Will/did you register for China?

Heck no! We don't have storage for it and honestly I don't EVER see us using it.

Re: Will/did you register for China?

• Options
    We didn't either...sounds way too fragile for my clutzy-ass!  Shoot, I don't even use real glass glasses...one time I opened the cabinet and a wine glass just decided to jump right off the shelf and shatter into a million pieces!  I really don't understand how it happens...
  • Options
    Nope, we're not either! We would never use it nor do I trust us with it LOL
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited May 2010
    My first wedding I didn't want to register for it, XH did, so we did and received 8 place settings of it, which I never took out of the box until after my divorce was final and I moved into my very own home and had a built in china cabinet! This go around, heck no I'm not registering for it! We did register for some very nice Vera Wang everyday dishes (which I cheated and looked at my registry and we are receiving 7 at this time... yay!)

I think china is nice is you think you will ever host a nice get together, party, or family holiday dinner. But honestly, neither my family or FI's family are that fancy! haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No, but only because my grandmother just gave me one of her sets because she and my grandfather were moving out of their home and into a senior center.  I love it and will use it.  Plus, I feel fancy drinking out of a pretty teacup every morning. 
  • Options
    We aren't registering for China either, we are getting the Pottery Barn Great White for our everyday but it is nice enough to dress up.  I would break China or someone else would.  I can't imagine spending $150 on a place setting when I could get 6 place settings of mine for $100. 
  • Options
    Nope! I just don't foresee me everneeding it. Ditto with the storage.

I think I'd either have to develop an amazing cooking talent or win the lottery to throw the type of parties that need china :p
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have mis matched dishes from 3 sets and decided since we were getting married and should start considering ourselves 'adults' we should get matching dishes.... so far we can't agree on any...

short answer is no dishes for us.
    My Bio
    Our Wedding Day 8/7/10
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My mum is giving me her china.  I aggree, LOVE having the fancy little tea cups haha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto to the "Heck no!"  I registered for Fiestaware, thats my kinda china!
    updated: 8/23 the wedding plan 60 in the mailimage 42 Bags are packedimage 18 Missing the funimage
  • Options
    Nope, I am apparently inheriting something like three different sets of china, some of it quite old.  So apparently I need to start throwing dinner parties for heads of state or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

• Options
    No. I bought a nice China set from a garage sale for $100 total a few years back, and we really like it. It's fairly complete too, I think! We've only used it 1-2 times so far when we had my family over for Thanksgiving or Christmas. And have my grandmother's hutch so it has a nice place to live. Even if we didn't have any China, I still don't think we'd register for it. It's so expensive for something we'd rarely use!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad someone else likes fancy teacups.  Here's mine:

We did also register for FIestaware. FI is clumsy, and this stuff is hard to break.  We got the square set in scarlet.
  • Options
    Nope, dito on the storage issue, and the breaking things.
    Every time I think about china I remember the one "Friends" episode where Monica brings out her fancy china for Thanksgiving. All through dinner she is in a panic over the china, even asks everyone to cut their food gently so that they don't scratch the plates. At the end of the episode Chandler breaks the entire box of china.
  • Options
    Nope.  I "inherited" a set of china from my aunt when she and my uncle divorced.  It's beautiful - white with a platinum rim & pink hand-painted roses on it.  It's from Ireland and you can tell it wasn't mass-produced because each piece is just a little bit different.  Not my style, and now it's in storage.  I wish I knew a way to sell it, but with my luck some day she'll ask for it back.  UGH!
  • Options
    were not registering for china...maybe some plate sets but nothing as expensive as china...my sister got china for her wedding 5 years ago and those were freakin expensive and she never uses them. theyre still in the boxes, mind u she has a lot of parties. i never have parties in my apt so theres no reason for us to get it.
  • Options
    Nope didn't register for it.  My great grandma died last year and my grandmother and her sister were going to get rid of her china!  My brother was over there when they were talking about it and he asked if he could have it, thinking either he or I would take it. Plus he didn't want to see it go.  It won't fit in our tiny place now but one day I hope to have room for it so we can use it on special occasions :)
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Options
    No way!!  My first go around, we registered for nice "everyday" dinnerware from Crate & Barrel, which I never used during that marriage since we were building a home and had everything in storage.  Ironically, I didn't start using them until FI and I moved into together last year.   

Plus, FI is way too practical to register for something we would maybe use once every 3 years. LOL
  • Options
    Nope! We finally bought a matching dinnerware set when we moved into our first house together and even though it's not particularly fancy or expensive, we love it! We have no use for fancy china and since we're both klutz' we'd manage to break a few pieces I'm sure. I'd prefer to register for fun things, like a Tassimo machine ;)
  • Options
    Nope.  We plan on moving in the next five years so I don't want to have to move it. Plus, we are buying a starter home (kinda small) so I don't think we'll be hosting fancy dinners there--more like barbeques, lol...so we registered for a grill!!!  Once we move again, I'm sure we'll be able to afford our own :o)
  • Options
    Wow!  I am surprised at all the No's.  I bought a set of china from an antique store I worked at several years ago b/c I got a great deal.  I acutally have used mine a fair amount, mostly for Girl's Nights.  I also just got my g'ma's china that I used at Thanksgiving.  I also have a set of Fiestaware that I LOVE.  (Apparenly I love dishes)

Btw, I LOVE teacups too.  My FI's family is British and his grandmother gave me one of her teacups last year after our visit. Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards