Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Candy Buffet Question

We are most likely headed to Philly this week, to pick up the candy from Nuts To You.

First, is there any other place that you girls would recommend we check out for candy?

Second, how much of each candy should we get?  We are having approx 140 guests, and probably many different candies.

TIA!

Re: Candy Buffet Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This comes from my DOC because I asked her the same thing :)

rule of thumb is 1/4-1/2lb per person, but they usually sell in 5 lb bags, i say get 2 or 3 bags of each type and you should be good
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So 15 lbs of each type?  That seems like alot!  I am so afraid, since we are doing many varieties of candy, that we will have a ton of leftovers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, that is just what she said. :)  I know it seems like a lot. I can ask my friend that did it and see what she says. I also don't want a lot of leftovers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah... I may end up having to get more of the popular candy, and less of the stuff that they don't like.

Worse comes to worse, I can try and sell the left overs.  While they won't last for a wedding (unless that person is getting married right away), there may be people who would buy it at a great price to eat it! 

Who knows, maybe my dad will want to eat the leftovers (though he doesn't need them; he just had a stent put in!).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you going with your wedding colors or are you open to any candy?

I'm pretty sure we're going to go to Costco for Ameircan candy, we're bringing some from here as well.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I am doing wedding colors, I just want fun candy :)  If you do wedding colors, it is more custom and will cost more, I think.

My friend said she just got enough candy to make it look nice, she doesn't remember how much per person she got. LOL
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

MsBriarRose - Your wedding is in October...not sure if you do this...but at the end of your wedding month - there is a very popular holiday where small children come around practically begging for candy (ah fond memories). Any left overs that you can't sell could always be given to trick or treaters. Also I'm not sure if you're getting special types of candies (which would obviously cost more and you probably wouldn't want to dish out to little tykes dressed up as super heroes) - It's just a thought to help ease the idea of buying too much.

*~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_candy-buffet-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:1e71f6ce-8c0a-4865-a931-110a69e655f2Post:aa45468d-c03b-4adb-b250-747ccd0d5766">Re: Candy Buffet Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]MsBriarRose - Your wedding is in October...not sure if you do this...but at the end of your wedding month - there is a very popular holiday where small children come around practically begging for candy (ah fond memories). Any left overs that you can't sell could always be given to trick or treaters. Also I'm not sure if you're getting special types of candies (which would obviously cost more and you probably wouldn't want to dish out to little tykes dressed up as super heroes) - It's just a thought to help ease the idea of buying too much.
    Posted by FutureMrsTCT[/QUOTE]

<div>Future Mrs FTW!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMAO.

I could try to save my candy leftovers too for trick or treating but I live in the middle of bumblerf#%%^ so no can do. LOL 
  • Options
    hugz415hugz415 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered ours from a grocery discount market out in chester county called Swanns Pantry - they are out near Lionville.  Very good prices.  I focused more on how it looked than about how much per person - to me it was more important for the jars to look full.  We had about 8 different candies and ordered 10 lbs of each.  The only thing we had leftovers of was tootsie rolls and butterscotches.   Most popular were : fruit slices, twizzlers, swedish fish, caramel creams, smarties, reeses cups
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hugs- This is good info. My friend also said she was more concerned with how full the containers looked  :) Those candies are also my favs, esp the caramel creams! YUM!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Future Mrs.  I know I am going to get flamed for this, but we don't usually participate in Halloween.  Personal reasons...

Anyway, Hugz, those are all the candies (plus a few more) that we are interested in getting!  We aren't doing colors- too much money!  I think if I get 10 lbs of the less popular candy, 15 lbs of the popular ones, I think we will be okay. 

Overall, it just seems like so much money...Guh, thank you parents for wanting this!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to the new candy store, Sweet Tooth in Philadelphia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards