Destination Weddings Discussions

XP: Family staying with you before and after wedding

We're having destination wedding in Grand Teton National Park in July 2012.  We chose it because it does have an airport (between 3-8 miles from our events), plus we love the place.  Everyone has to travel regardless (we are not near any family/friends).  It's 3.5 hour drive for us.

Yes, things are a little pricier in Jackson Hole, but it will be convenient for some guests.  Because of everyone’s travels and us trying to make it worth their time, we're having a Friday night welcome pizza party, a wedding ceremony and reception, then a Sunday activity like white water rafting or a group hike.  None are mandatory of course.

Alternatives are to fly to other airports like SLC, Idaho Falls, Pocatello.  SLC is the furthest airport, but will have the cheapest flight deals most likely. It's a 5 hour drive to Jackson.  I conveniently live between SLC and Jackson.  1.5 hours to my house, then another 3.5 hours to Jackson.

Both my mother and one sister (with 4 children and her boyfriend) asked to stay with us before AND after the wedding.  They want to fly in/out of SLC.

We have no idea what we are doing after the wedding (honeymoon, road trip, etc).  Thankfully our vacation days are super flexible so we really can wait until the time draws closer.  Planning a wedding, let alone DW, has so many logistics, that about all we can handle at the moment for planning.  I told her I cannot confirm with her until the time draws nearer.  Her boyfriend has to put in vacation time NOW so she would prefer and answer very soon.

How about before the wedding?  I guess I could let them stay (we have 3 spare bedrooms), but not sure how hostess-like I will be!  I’m generally very accommodating, providing all the meals, fun activities to do.  However, I don't know what I am capable of with a mere 48 hours from my wedding.  Her kids are not very well behaved for one.  The boyfriend is just stoned out of his mind at all times so he is in no shape to discipline.  My sister just pretends like nothing is happening.

So my questions are:

1.)  Is that a bit much to host 7  or more people (others could ask us as well) in your home 48 hours before your destination wedding?  I'd love to see them more, but there's that guilt.

2.)  Say you agree they can stay at your house at some point, what really is expected of you as a host? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards