Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

STDs and other DW issues (kind of long, sorry)

I just put a deposit down for our DW in Mexico. (yay!) I'll be sending STDs out soon and I was wondering what info in regards to the resort I need to put on the STD. I've seen a bazillion STDs for non DWs and I know they list the city and state where the ceremony will take place, but that obviously doesn't apply to me. How detailed do I need to be in my STD?

Now the other issue. FI and I will be spending a few days at our chosen resort after the ceremony for our HM. Please don't get me wrong, I adore my and FI's family. However, I really would like our HM to be just FI and me. The resort we chose is actually two resorts on the same property. They don't share restaurants, beaches, or anything. So we're staying on one side, having the ceremony on the other, and hoping all of our guests will just book on the opposite side from us. If you're having your DW at a resort, are you honeymooning in the same place? If so, how do you plan to deal with your family after the ceremony? (Disclaimer: I know it sounds terribly bratty of me to expect my family to travel all this way, then not want to hang out with them after the ceremony and reception.)
Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince

Re: STDs and other DW issues (kind of long, sorry)

• Options
    Congrats on the booking!

STDs: Most DW brides handle this by making a website with travel and accommodation info and then saying something on their STDs like "for detailed travel and accommodation info please visit our website at....". Or sometimes they will send out a seperate packet with information after they've sent out the STDs.

Honeymoon: Not bratty at all. It's completely understandable that you would want time with your new DH by yourselves. In general families are completely understanding of this and will give you your space if you give them advance warning. A lot of brides switch to a different resort after their wedding to insure privacy. Also you'll probably find that most of your guests will leave a day or two after the wedding anyway.

GL!
  • Options
    We are kind of the same. We're in Mexico too and the resort we are staying at has a sister resort next door. FI and I are staying at the more luxury adults only hotel while everyone else is staying next door. I have every intention of hanging out before hand... going to Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlies, doing snorkle excursions, etc. but the days after the ceremony, we have already spoken to those guests that are staying and they completely understand that we'll want our privacy. In fact, they were shocked we even had to ask. Most people are leaving the day after anyways except for a handful. They said they already have their own plans to do their own things so I'm not really sweating it. Just speak up and say something. It doesn't sound bratty. It is YOUR honeymoon after all. Your guests are their on vacation too so they can live it up on their own as well.

As far as the STDs go, sorry I'm not help on that as we opted out of doing those.
  • Options
    Thanks Alison! I think I will put our wedding website URL on the STD, then send an info packet for our less internet savvy guests.

I already feel much better about the HM thing. My mom is totally on board and taking care of my side of the family, and I think I'll get FI to pass the "please do not disturb" message on to his family by word of mouth.
  • Options
    Beachbum, we're doing exactly the same thing! You wouldn't happen to be staying at Aventura Spa Palace, would you? That's where we're staying and it sounds like you're pretty much describing our resort. And since we have to be there three days prior to the ceremony, I'm hoping anyone that wants to hang out with us will come early, and we can be with them before the ceremony, then have the rest of the trip to ourselves.
  • Options
    For our STDs we just kept it simple and also included out website which will have resort info, payment plan info etc.
    Here's what we did:

Save the Date
    Bride & Groom
    are getting married
    in St. Thomas, USVI
    Date

Invitations to follow
    website
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_stds-other-dw-issues-kind-of-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:ed370652-831a-4687-950a-a2dfd61d1646Post:538795da-d78c-4df1-807b-d1c999d01ac7">Re: STDs and other DW issues (kind of long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Alison! I think I will put our wedding website URL on the STD, then send an info packet for our less internet savvy guests.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]
    The front of our STD is in my bio under Paper Goods.  On the other side at the bottom we wrote: For more information please go to: <a href="http://www.ourweddingsite.com" rel="nofollow">www.ourweddingsite.com</a><div>
    </div><div>Then once they went out we separately emailed everyone with some basic info and sent them the link to the website.  If you have non-internet folks, I think doing a packet for just them would be fine.</div><div>
    </div><div>As for the HM, we're getting married on a Fri. and will hang w/ ppl through Sun., but then we're leaving the area we'll have been staying in, and probably won't see anyone after that.  I also think ppl will want to respect your space, so most won't have an issue with a request for some alone time.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards