Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

$$ Engagement Ring

Do you know how much your engagment ring cost?  I'm not looking for figures (unless you really want to), but just looking for yes or no?  What are your thoughts on this topic?
Mrs. JEGs
est 7.17.10
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
Hunter Fillmore
October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress

Re: $$ Engagement Ring

• Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ask because last night I was in a conversation with a woman about engagement rings and some how it was mentioned that I have NO CLUE what JEGs spent on this ring-- and I kinda don't want to know.  She thought that was insane, and that if I'm wearing it every day, I should know how much it was.

So... thoughts?
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    needle&threadneedle&thread member
    edited December 2011
    I have an approximate number of what it costs...now what its worth is a totally different story...LOL.  FI got a good deal!!! If my assumption is correct.

By all means make sure you insure it!  Immediately!

S and CJ
    S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't want to know how much he ends up spending on one. I've already told him I did not want something too expensive, and so hopefully he listens, but either way, I'd rather not know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish I didn't have a clue what it cost but I do.
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I own the house we live in, so I needed the value to add it to our homeowners insurance. FI wasn't sure which number I needed, so he gave me both the appraisal value and the actual cost.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how much my engagement ring was! I don't think that's crazy at all! DH even took care of the insurance. I know all of the info is in our files, but I've never been inclined to look!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    >>By all means make sure you insure it!  Immediately!<<

Oh trust me, I'm pretty sure this bad boy was insured before it was on my finger ;)

JEGs handles all insurance info, so I wouldn't even have to ask for that.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do, but we just bought it a few weeks ago.  

I did way more research on diamonds then he did.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:26b6c965-0c81-4da2-b6f8-8540fdd91a8cPost:2102ddfe-155a-495a-a9c5-7ecb03e07fda">Re: $$ Engagement Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]I own the house we live in, so I needed the value to add it to our homeowners insurance. FI wasn't sure which number I needed, so he gave me both the appraisal value and the actual cost.
    Posted by Bean32[/QUOTE]

This. Exactly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea how much mine cost.  We never even looked at rings together.  I know the diamond came from his mother's engagement ring and he had it reset into a new ring with the help of his sisters.  And he took care of insuring it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm the family finance person, so I had to know to get it insured under our homeowners policy.  I didn't ask, or really care to know.. it just came up when the insurance agent asked me for the value.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We never talked about it, and I didn't want to know, but DH kept the receipt and left it out... so now I know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took care of insurance so I know what it appraised for. As far as actual cost, I have an idea. He got a great deal and spent less than what I expected so I'm happy about that : )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know because it was his Grandmother's so all we paid for was getting it sized and re-plated. And I was there for that, they needed my finger!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI got a killer deal on mine, so I only 'know' how much he spent. I can assume how much it's worth though, but I don't know how much exactly. He took care of the insurance.

The only reason I have any idea of how much it was is because he had told me a few weeks before he bought it that he was getting a bonus at work and how much it would be... and then a month or two after he proposed, we were out drinking one night and he mentioned that he had used his bonus to get my ring.  
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    I only know what it was appraised for because we had to add it to our insurance. I do know it was appraised for more than what he paid though.  I'm the one that takes care of all of that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know about only because I don't wear it and I thought I lost it once :-/

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have an idea....so my answer is yes-ish
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI proposed without a ring and we have been shopping for it together. we are getting it custom made but I don't want to know how much it is. I have a guess as to what his budget is, though. I told him specifically that I didn't want to know. 
    my guess, though, is that eventually I will figure out how much exactly he is spending on it.  We will defintely insure it under our renters insurance, so when we buy a house, I am sure it will come out. 
    At this point in my life, though, I don't want to know how much I am wearing on my finger! I find that to be a bit overwhelming. 
    Nat
  • Options
    bballgirl8789bballgirl8789 member
    edited December 2011
    I do know how much it cost.  One time FI and I were chatting about weddings bands and such, he mentioned how much he paid for it.  It's not a big deal that I know, but I rather wish I didn't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I do know. Basically the same thing as Hil. FI left the receipt on his dresser and when I was cleaning up I came acrossed it.
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FYI for those who said they insured the ring for the appraised value: According to my insurance company if you were to lose or damage the ring they would just replace it with the exact cut, color, clarity, carrot diamond and setting. The insurance companies get acess to the diamond wholesalers so they get good deals. They would not be just giving you cash. So if you insure it for what he paid for it your premium would be less and you would get the same result if you ever put a claim in.

For me it was a difference in $4 a month. Not a ton but better in my pocket.

Not sure if all insurance companies work the same way, but maybe worth a phone call to save a few bucks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:26b6c965-0c81-4da2-b6f8-8540fdd91a8cPost:8228788c-a496-43a0-b08e-f16093888444">Re: $$ Engagement Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]We never talked about it, and I didn't want to know, but DH kept the receipt and left it out... so now I know.
    Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]

This.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i know the appraisal, but not what he paid for it. so I have an 'idea' but really no clue lol!
  • Options
    SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know "at least" how much it costs, as I pay the bills and at least some of it went onto a card with intro 0% interest rates...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know both.  I needed the appraisal amount to insure it, and when I saw how much it was worth I called and yelled at him for spending that much on my ring.

Turns out he only paid 1/3 of what it appraised for, thanks to his cousin who is a jeweler.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    David proposed without a ring so we did the whole ring shopping together so I know how much it is. It was really nice to pick it together. And I got a ring I absolutely adore!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards