Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Boring Bridesmaid Dresses

I am currently on the hunt for bridesmaids dresses and I am finding this harder than finding a dress for myself!!!

I was looking at places that do BM dresses, like the salon that I bought my dress from or David’s Br, and I really HATE them all. They seem so cheesy and I really don’t like that they look like BM dresses. As cliché as it sounds, I really would like my BMs to like the dress enough so they would wear it again. Especially if they are going to be spending 100+ when it’s all said and done.

So my question is did anyone else have their BMs buy a dress not from a bridal place? Like Macy's or JCrew? How does that all work? My FMIL is insisting that I CANNOT do that because there is no way they could all find the same dress to that will fit them all. Am I wrong to think that 4 people (in 2 different states) buying from a department store wouldn’t be that hard?

Please help!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Boring Bridesmaid Dresses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Stores like Ann Taylor and JCrew have nice bridesmaid lines.  I don't see why they couldn't all order from there.  Just order them all at once so they are cut from the same dye lot.  Any store, including DB, will tell you the same thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Bari Jay BM dresses.

I don't see a problem with ordering from a dept store, whether they have a bridal line or not.  There are plenty of nice cocktail dresses that could be used for BMs.
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.ariadress.com also has some nice, not-totally-bridesmaid-looking dresses. I sent out a few images to my BMs and they all ranked the Aria dresses as their top choices. PITA part though - you can't go to a store and try them on, you have to order a sample ($15).
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    PhillyGal34PhillyGal34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the limited has a line (or is going to soon).  what color are you looking at? do they all need to be the same dress??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I keep going back and forth about the same dress/ same color thing. I have 4 very different looking girls (my FSIL is an Italian and a gymnast, my MatronOH has red hair and amazing curves, and one of the bridesmaids is really thin with big boobs) so I can’t figure out what would look the best on all of them. But I am def doing jewel tones. Either sapphire (like my ring!!), amethyst, and/ or emerald. The inspiration is vintage with a twist (my dress is super vintage looking with a modern fabric) and my FI is doing a 3-piece suit with Chuck Taylors for himself and the groomsmen.  So I know I want a knee length dress and something with straps that has a kind of 50’s-60’s vibe but every “bridesmaid” dress I see is not what I want.  Side problem is that my FSIL and I have VERY different tastes and she thinks all the dresses I like are “old people dresses”. Sigh….but that’s a problem for another day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I let the girls pick their own dresses but I picked the color and designer... I did this for two reasons.  1) they all are very different in their coloring, size, and style.  2) I really didn't want the headache of trying to make everyone happy with a dress choice. It really made things easier on me.  The only thing I told them was the color and floor length.... it later turned out that 3 of the 4 picked chiffon and one picked satin so I asked her if she'd mind getting chiffon but told her she didn't have to if she was set... but other than that it was a very easy choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    idea: why not email them all what you want... color (s), style, knee length, vintage feel and let them do some of the work! you never know, a few of them might pick the same style!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha. I keep forgetting that they are there to help me if I need it. Asking them to do so leg work really isnt a bad idea, but (as terrible as this might sound) I dont trust what the FSIL would pick out for herself if I gave them a designer and a color choice. Is that horrible of me?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i often forget that too

remember you have final say.  I would just ask them to give you ideas of what they want... not order or anything, just see what they want.  if they don't give any input than tough crap, they don't get a say! my FSIL is one of my BMs and keeps telling me that I need to remember that it is my (well mine and my FI) day and that the BMs will either have or have had their day so I need to stop worrying about their input so much... maybe the advice rings true here too. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My brdiesmaids' dresses were from J Crew, and I was so, so pleased with how things worked out.  Although you cannot try on dresses in-store, you can call up wth your measurements or have someone measure you at any J Crew store to make sure your girls order the correct size.  The dresses can also be returned in-store if the girls don't quite like the style of dress on.  The nice thing about their dresses (and many similar places) is that multiple styles will come in the same color and fabric, so you can give your girls two or three choices of dress and it will still look great.  Another plus was that my girls lived in four different states and on two coasts and could do things at their own pace in terms of ordering.  No need to worry about dye lots with a dress from J Crew...AND they happily sent me, the bride, swatches of all the fabrics I was interested in to show my florist. AND as a teacher I got a 15% discount for the girls on everything. Pics of my bright kelly green dresses in bio.  

I had a great experience buying an Ann Taylor bridesmaid dress for my sister-in-law and brother's wedding two years ago.  Tried on some stuff in store for fit, had myself measured to get the right size, tried it on when it came in and it looked great.  Had the dress hemmed at my dry cleaner rather than a bridal salon and probably saved a bundle. 

While more limited (no pun intended), The Limited recently started offering a very affordable collection of bridesmaid and wedding dresses.  It might be worth a look - I do know back in summer they had some jewel tones available.

http://www.thelimited.com/category/apparel/weddings-events/bridesmaid-dresses

I will also say this one last thing - ultimately, you need to make a decision whether your wedding philosophy is primarily "I want them to love the dress and wear it again" or "I have a vision for my wedding and they will wear a dress that goes with that vision." Neither is the "right" way to go...I just don't think you can reasonably expect to have a half dozen or so women agree on one style of dress that they all adore to the point of wearing all the time, so either you are flexible on the cut and style (possibly giving up your 50's/60s vintage look) or you accept that your girls will shell out cash for something you may find on Ebay a month after the wedding.  Just need to prioritze. 
  • Options
    vienna1121vienna1121 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mine were from bari jay and i had the same problem you did. i have a plus size woman, a 40 yr old, a 7 yr old, a model esque girl and some normal body types. i have only seen them on the 40 yr old and the 17 yr old and they have different body types and look great
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards