Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Ceremony Musicians & Singers

I am not sure who is Catholic (like me and FI) or any other affiliation, but we are looking into music for our full mass ceremony and aren't too sure what to do.  I am guessing any church would have a similar set up - our organist charges $150 and we can choose a soloist from our church for another $150.  Has anyone just used who was at their church without hearing them sing?  Is this price reasonable?  I sort of know nothing about this area.  I really would prefer I know our singer but I can't seem to find anyone we know who actually sings.  Any ideas or recommendations would be most appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Ceremony Musicians & Singers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend got married in april and they were going to just use the church soloist, who was also the pastor's wife. She's very operatic though, and it wasn't really their style. They ended up having me, and our friend Jeremy sing for the wedding. They tried to pay us- we didn't want money though, so they just had us come to the rehearsal dinner and bought us both a gift. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

That is about standard for cantors and organists. It varies from church to church, but

However... I HIGHLY recommend that you find out the next time your soloist would be cantoring to hear them sing.  Just because they cantor at mass doesn't mean they're a good singer...just fyi.  There are a bunch of cantors in my area that make my ears bleed. 

Also, YGPM

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What church are you getting married at?  Our church recently had a wedding music workshop where we listened to different cantors and organists and we then booked from them.  Maybe your church has a list of people who they typically use?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    lisalaroclisalaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sacred Heart in Havertown,the music director recommended one guy and said he does most of their weddings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards