October 2012 Weddings

the dress

Hi guys.  So I'm a little behind most of you in the dress department but I am finally going to my first appointment next week at J. Crew. ( Probably the worst time to go dress shopping is the week after New Years with the holiday weight and whatnot!)  For those of you who have ordered your dress, I wanted to know if you felt pressured to buy a size up than what you thought you were.  I have heard of this happening so that places can charge more for alterations.  Any tips?  Thanks!

Re: the dress

• Most wedding dresses are sized too small.  If you are a street size 6 you might be a wedding dress size 8 or 10.  Doesn't make any sense!! Don't worry about the size so much as the actual fit of the dress. 

Good luck :-)
    Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • Yeah, I wouldn't worry about size.  Wedding gowns have wacky size charts!  I'm normally a size 4, but my dress is a size 8.  The dress shop owner said that bridal usually runs 2 sizes smaller than your normal clothes.  

Good luck and have fun shopping : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Unless you are planning on loosing a ton of weight, order the dress in the size that would fit you best right now.  When I was dress shopping, they never told me to go up a size "just in case".  I did however, have to order a larger size because my chest is like a 10 and the rest of my body is a 6.  So the only reason they would tell you to go up a size is to fit a certain part of your body.

Have fun and good luck!!
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Ditto PP.  Order for what fits you now.  Then at the very least you only have to maintain your weight.  If you are able to lose some, fantastic! But by ordering what will fit you now you are almost guaranteed to fit into your dress on your wedding day.  Have fun and good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just want to know who thought it would be a funny idea to make wedding dress sizes higher than normal dresses. They could have made them smaller? Lol. I'm going to take a magic marker and write a lower size in my tag. Jk!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • @Creyo - I know!!!  It's the opposite of "vanity sizing" where they make a typical size 8 and label it a 4 so that you'll feel good about being a "smaller size" and buy it.  I guess it goes to show that size/weight is just a number, it can't measure how beautiful you are on the inside : )  Every bride is beautiful on her wedding day, regardless of what the tag says inside the dress! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the help ladies.  I will not pay attention to those sizes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards