Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

NWR Poll

How far away do you live from your parents and SO's parents?

How frequent do you have contact with them?

Re: NWR Poll

• Options
    edited December 2011

2 and a half blocks from my parents. a 95 exit away from the in-laws.

I talk to my mom almost every day. I stop for mail frequently and also dinner if DH has work.

MIL calls out house every night.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are about an hour away from both my parents and Eric's parents. Once we move [hopefully this summer] we'll be about 30-40 minutes from my parents and probably 15-30 min from Eric's parents, depending on where we decide to move.

It depends what you mean by contact -- as far as talking to them, I talk to my mom almost every day on my horrendous commute. I talk to his mother at least once a week, usually by text/facebook. I rarely talk to my dad or his dad, unless it is in person. As far as actually spending time with them, my parents [aside from the holidays when its more] probably once every few months. Erics parents, probably the same - maybe a little more often than my parents.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are liking polls today Hil  ;)

1.  15 minutes from my parents.   DH's parents are in Florida currently, but want to move this way.. If they do, they will be approx an hour away.

2.  We see my parents maybe once every week or two.   We see his parents 2-3x per year.   His mom literally calls him *every.single.day*, doesn't mean he answers though - and I rarely ever talk to them, they call for him, he talks, end of story.  It's a little awkward, but I'm fine with it.  My mom and I text almost every day about stupid stuff (ie; did you see that big accident on 95?) or we'll talk while one of us is driving home from work.  
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We live 5 hours away from my parents (Pittsburgh) and 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from his parents (Wilkes-Barre.)

I talked to my mom almost everyday.  I don't really have the relationship that I would call his mom or that she would call me.  He calls her when he needs to ask her something.  It's not rare for them to go a month or two without talking. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    >>His mom literally calls him *every.single.day* though.<<

same here!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I currently live with my dad, just until he sells his house. My mom lives about 45 minutes away, and his family lives in MO.

I obviously talk to my dad every day, my mom once a week, (maybe) and his mom, every few weeks right now, normally through email.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1 We live about 3500 miles from my parents.
    We live about 250 miles from his.

2 My parents it depends my mom gets board and wants to talk.  Sometimes they need to talk more often when things are happening with the wedding.  Sometimes once a week or less.  
    We email as well.

I don't talk to them that often, sometimes I email his mom.
    I think he talks to them a once a week or so.  His dad works away from home and will call more often when he gets bored.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nicole - does that annoy you?  It annoys me.  Call if you have something specific to say, or if it's been a while since you talked .... don't call just to call!   If he doesn't answer for a few days at a time, she panics and then resorts to calling me to "make sure he's okay" ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It does.  If I am home alone I let the machine get it. If we don't answer the house she calls his cell. She used to call every morning to make sure he was up for work. Thank god he told her to stop!

I feel bad because I know she means well but it is the same conversation every single night!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_nwr-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:290dee0a-c59b-4188-9880-914ddccc1f15Post:91e4165d-f63c-4cb1-9799-d838652b11c9">Re: NWR Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nicole - does that annoy you?  It annoys me.  Call if you have something specific to say, or if it's been a while since you talked .... don't call just to call!   If he doesn't answer for a few days at a time, she panics and then resorts to calling me to "make sure he's okay" ;)
    Posted by ooodsie[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this happens in our household too.

We live a little over 1 hour from my parents (NJ) and 2-2.5 hours from his parents (NY).

How often I talk to my parents (or email) depends on what's going on.  I hate small talk.  I usually check in every couple weeks, but definitely don't have regular, few times a week contact... there's just nothing to discuss IMO.  H talks to his parents almost every day.  He's an only child.  They get worried if he doesn't call for a few days which I find annoying.  If something happened to him, do they not think that I would let them know?  He's a big boy, he can handle his life by himself.   He's learned to talk to them less, and I've learned to ignore it.  I talk to his parents when something's going on, but rarely just to check in (but why would I need to check in when he talks to them all.the.time).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    About 10 minutes from mine, 20 minutes from his. I talk to my mom almost every day, my dad mostly if there's a reason. He talks to his mom a few days a week, and his dad only for a specific reason. We see both families a few times per month.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Now I don't feel as bad since I know I am not alone!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    5 minutes from my parents.  i talked to my mom every day and see both my parents once or twice a week.  this is soon change next month when my parents move to FL. I will probably see my parents every 3 months or so.

20 minutes from FIs parents.  I probably see them twice a month.  FI sees them once or twice a week since his work is near them.
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Right now we live 50 mins from my parents and 9 weekends out of 10 we go up to see them.  Mom calls me everyday at work, and I talk to my dad 3-4 times a week.

We live 8 hours away from FI's family including his 2 kids.  We go down 4-5 times a year, mostly for his kids birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  He talks to his mom 3-4 times a week.  He talks to his kids only when his mom gets them (once a month). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We live about 40 minutes from both our parents (they live 5-10mins from each other)

I talk to my parents pretty much every day whether through email or text or phone calls. 
    DH talks to his parents maybe once a week if that. They usually call me if they need something bc he never answers his phone haha

I'm really close with my parents so I try to see them as much as possible. DH isn't as close with his parents but we still see them a good amount.
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How far away do you live from your parents and SO's parents?

How frequent do you have contact with them?

We live less than 5 minutes from my parents for the time being. When we get the house, we will be about 10-12 mins from my parents. We are about 20 mins from his parents and when we move we will be about 30mins max.

I talked to my parents almost every day, whether its a phone call, text or email. I do not call my in laws unless I need to. I do not have "small talk" convos with them on the phone. My DH speaks to his parents probably every fews days...
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    We are about 35 from my parents and 45 minutes from his.

I talk to my parents about 2-3 times a week.  He's an only child, so his mom calls a lot more often. 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How far away do you live from your parents and SO's parents?  We live 4 blocks from his dad, 20 minutes from his mom.  FI sees his dad more often because he's so close it's easy to stop by.  We see his mom 1x a month or something.   We are 1 hour from my parents.

How frequent do you have contact with them?  FI talks to his dad and mom a few times a week, maybe.  It really varies.  I talk to my mom almost every day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    edited December 2011
    my parents live 5 houses away, we see them pretty much every day or at least the weekends. His parents live an hour and 15 mins away, we see them once every 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're 4.5 hours from both sets of parents. My mom kind of forces me to talk to her at least once a week if not more. I try to get FI to call his parents once every couple of weeks, but usually it doesn't happen. He loves them, but his parents aren't really phone talkers. And his mom can be really snarky sometimes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We live 5 mins away from my mom, brother and they live 5 blocks from my grandparents.  We have dinner with them every Sunday.  I talk to my mom almost every day.  I see her usually twice a week depending on what's going on.

We live 45 mins from his parents.  We see them 1-2 times a month.  I talk to them maybe once a month (text/facebook) he probably texts them once a week.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We live about 15 minutes from my parents. We usually got over there house ever Sunday for dinner. Typically I talk to my mom everyday just about. 

We live about 2 hours from his parents (NJ). He talks to his dad every few days. maybe once a week to check in.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We live about 30/35 minutes from the ILs and about 40/45 minutes from my parents house.

We see DH's parents more b/c they have a lot of family dinners and birthday dinners.  My family doesn't do stuff like that.  I saw my mom a lot during wedding planning but usually it's mostly holidays or big family parties.  They'll come down here every now and then. 

I call and talk to my mom everyday usually more than once.  I miss seeing her everyday.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    lisalaroclisalaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. We still live with our parents...

But we are moving out next month! We will be about 20 mins from either of our parents

2. I will definitely talk to mine a lot more than he will his - I am the baby and the only girl sooo it's to be expected. He is the middle child, only boy, and last one to get married.  PLus my parents generally worry about things a LOT more than his.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards