October 2012 Weddings
Options

engagement gift frustration

Did any of you receive engagement gifts?  This is a tradition I never really heard of growing up but my fiances parents are very traditional and all of his mom's friends want to give us an engagement gift.  She keeps bothering us to tell her what we want so so can relay it to them.  We don't want anything but that is not acceptable to her!  We have lived together for 5 years and own our own apartment.  We are fortunate to be able to buy what we need.  For the wedding we will register for more high end things but I really don't need anything right now.  Fiance had the idea to tell them to make a donation to a charity in our names.  I don't want to be rude to them and I am grateful for the gesture but frankly I don't care much for tradition just for tradition's sake and there are other people out there who could use a gift more than we could.  Anyone dealing with this?

Re: engagement gift frustration

• Options
    When we had our engagement party we weren't sure what to ask for because we've lived together for five years, but since we just bought a house we just asked everyone for gift cards to home depot because I didn't feel right asking for 2x4s to put in a bookshelf, or carpet to redo our bedroom haha, but that's what we got and I asked for them for Christmas again, and now we have a great amount to do what we want with our new house!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Oct. 2012 Dec Siggy
    Favorite Thing About the Holidays
    Our Tree(Is it Bears or Broncos?) & Of Course!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I received a few checks from older relatives and my aunt got us a gift.  She had been bugging my mom about what to get us and if we were registered.  We registered in November and she just picked something off there.  I did not think they were necessary but all was appreciated.
    Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Fi and I lived together for 4 years by the time we where engaged and still found things to register for .... go to bed bath and beyond you can always find stuff and a bonus there if its off your registry you can return it for cash !
  • Options
    we got a few gift card < bed bath and beyond, Macys and a visa gift card> his aunt also sent us a wine decatur... i wouldnt know what to tell people either we dont need anything we have lived together for 2 1/2 years now! we will register for upgrades i guess to what we already have!
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting engagement gifts at all, but a few family members sent us gifts.  We didn't have our registries done until mid November and we got engaged in July, so most people just sent us a little something.  FI's grandmother gave us a picture frame that said "Bling Bling, I got the ring!"  which was really cute.  My grandmother and uncle sent us a check to buy whatever we needed for the wedding, we used that money for some of our deposits.  Another close family friend sent me a scrapbook that's already done for you but you just need to add the pictures which was really thoughtful because she knows I like to scrapbook but rarely have the time to put everything together.

As far as registering for the wedding, FI and I have lived together for 3 years (4 by the time we're married) and have all the basic house wares too.  We registered for upgrades on pots and pans, knives, etc.

Have you thought about donating to a charity instead of doing wedding favors?  I think that's a great idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    One of my aunts sent me a card with a check, but that's the only one. I didn't expect anything and would've been really lost as to what to answer had anyone actually asked.
  • Options
    My favorite gift was my ring dish! A good friend from college got me this amazing porcelain little dish. My ring "sleeps" there when I'm in the house as I get tired of wearing it all day (I'm not a big jewelry person).
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards