October 2012 Weddings

A little bummed/frustrated...but kind of funny story!

So, my FI and I are trying to get some wedding stuff done while we are both off from work this week!  We've been doing cake tastings and we had our menu tasting today (very good btw!!)  We also decided since we were in Lancaster (where we are getting married) that we would solidify our hotel block for our OOT guests.  Half of our guests are OOT because FI's family is from Long Island - we get to the Marriott and they tell me they are sold out and weren't able to hold my 10 rooms (even though I told them 30 rooms...) so they apologized and called to their other properties to try and help me out.  They were sold out as well.  Then they directed us to their larger Marriott in downtown Lancaster because they were sure to have rooms available...

WRONG!

But you know why they don't have rooms available - because I picked the one weekend that 8,000 Christians are coming to Lancaster for a convention!  Really??  The sales manager was so sweet and helped us call around to other hotels until we found one that still has rooms available.  It's a very nice hotel and we actually contemplated holding our wedding there but I wanted an outdoor ceremony...

But seriously, 8,000 Christians...who would've thought?!

Re: A little bummed/frustrated...but kind of funny story!

• Perhaps it's because I'm from Memphis and for many years we had a bigger convention of particular Christian church, I can't say I'm surprised by the reason they're sold out. When I say bigger, I mean the last one that was held here in Memphis had 45,000 attendees. Many of which are from out of town and it wasn't uncommon for people who came for it to stay in hotels in the suburbs or even across the bridge in Arkansas for it because of the lack of hotel rooms otherwise.... It was always great business revenue for the city, especially downtown.

But I'm sorry they were unable to hold your rooms. At least the person was nice enough to call to even not affiliated hotels to help you search out rooms.
  • I'm up against a Dog show the weekend of my wedding in Exton, PA.  Haha I'm going to Lancaster dress shopping Saturday!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Oh man - I love the dog show!! Are you going to In White?? If so, it's awesome there!! And I just thought it was funny because Lancaster seems pretty small and random to me and it was surprising how many people will be there! I just can't imagine it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_little-bummedfrustratedbut-kind-of-funny-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:62f16c84-54d6-488f-bae0-91d8b5b7d98ePost:6774ec56-0ce3-4b1b-b8c7-e2cd0894fedd">Re: A little bummed/frustrated...but kind of funny story!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man - I love the dog show!! Are you going to In White?? If so, it's awesome there!! And I just thought it was funny because Lancaster seems pretty small and random to me and it was surprising how many people will be there! I just can't imagine it.
    Posted by jnpfautz[/QUOTE]

<div>No, Alfred Angelo... I've heard mixed reviews, but they seemed nice on the phone haha!</div><div>
    </div><div>Yea, Lancaster is bigger than people think, and I can see 8000 Christians coming.  Are you from the area?</div>
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Yep!! And I just can't see it haha! I mean, Lancaster county is big but Lancaster city isn't really that big. The hotel was telling us how crazy it gets with all those people! I don't know much about Alfred Angelo but I'm sure it'll be good!! Have fun :)
  • I'm from Southern Chester County... so I just think outlets and amish when I think about Lancaster...
    my 2012 shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards