October 2012 Weddings

Bridesmaids Dresses

I asked my bridesmaids to have their bridesmaids dresses purchased by May 12 which is five months before my wedding. I have a pretty good hunch that none of them are going to have them by then. I know that one of them is having a hard time financially, the other has a 1 1/2 year old and a new job so she is very busy, and the other is saving to move out of her parents house so she doesn't have much spare cash either. I want to be sensitive ot these issues and not nag them too much, but I really am nervous that if we wait too much longer their could be an issue getting the dresses here in time and still have enough time for alterations. (The dresses could take up to 12 weeks to come in)

Anyone else dealing with this? Am I asking them to get them too soon? Does anyone have a tactful way of reminding them that the date is coming up?

Thanks for the help ladies!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bridesmaids Dresses

• Yes I am! Most of my girls have put a deposit down, but I have one bridesmaid that I've been friends with for 12 years, who is having a hard time financially, I'm already paying for her hair for the day of, but they won't order any of the dresses until every girl puts a deposit down on their dress. We picked them out almost 2 months ago   : /   All of the deposits were supposed to be in during April...  
    I completely feel for you! Just send out a few friendly reminders before May 12th. Tell them the dress shop was asking maybe? 

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker not
  • I know I'm going to run into a similar issue myself.

I talked to the girl who has been helping me at the bridal shop and she said she will be the "bad guy" and call the girls who haven't made their deposit by a specific date so that I don't need to.

Maybe the place you're working with will do the same thing?
    my_wedding_original Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this, although I'm sad so many of us are. I wish all they had to do was put down a deposit, but unfortunatley the dress shop won't let them make payments unless they have the dress in the right color and size in store, if they don't they have to pay in full at the time they go in to order it. 

I might try calling the dress shop though and having someone from there give them all a call. 

Thanks for the advice ladies, and good luck with your bridesmaids!
  • edited April 2012
    Both very good ideas PP, lol.

I actually just had to do this. DB called me for some reason and it got me thinking about it... so I ended up texting two of the girls who I wasn't sure about and mentioned that DB had just called and if they had gotten their dresses yet.

The one girl completely forgot and is acting like she's not going to have time to go in a get it. Soooo, I am feeling a little stressed at them moment. She is my MOH tho, so I guess if she doesn't get it maybe we can just buy something off the rack and switch up the best man's color? That is positive thinking, lol.
  • fjw2012fjw2012 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    lepoissonrouge- That is positive thinking, but I hope it doesn't come down to that for you. 

Two of my bridesmaids already have their dresses. One of my bridesmaids bought hers the night we went shopping and I bought my MOH her dress. My MOH is my little sister and she just recently had a baby. When we found out she was pregnant we went out to get her dress ASAP so that we would be sure to have one in her size so she would have 6 months to lose the weight rather than the 1-2 months she would have had if we waited until after she had the baby. Which turned out not to be a problem anyway because two weeks after she had the baby she was back to her pre baby size...lol

I'm really surprised that everyone is having the same problem. I mean when I was my best friends MOH I bent over backwards to make sure everything was perfect for her, and was happy to do it. I don't expect my bridesmaids to do that, but I thought they'd at least cooperate with buying dresses (especially because one of the was the girl I was MOH for).
  • I bought my bm dresses and told the girls "we are going this day to try on/order, be there." Thankfully both girls got there on time, ended up picking the same dress, and ordered before I had a stressstroke. Those of you waiting for deposits: is it feasible for you to cover the deposit, so the dresses can at least be ordered, and have the girls pay you back or make payments?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    270475_10151278916785395_726690480_n-1
    Mom to D.A (11.09) and 3 beautiful angels (06.08, 03.11, 07.12)
  • My girls already ordered theirs, but I only have three BMs, so it's a little easier.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• I'm with you ladies! I told the girls in Feb. that I want their order forms by May 1, so I get them in time (the company also says it could take 4 months) and they can get alterations if necessary.

I know have almost all of them. But it was a beast. I sent each girl a FB message on April 1, April 15, and this week to remind them. I might be a nag...but I just didn't want them to forget. My biggest stress was a girl who didn't want to order b/c she's trying to lose weight and didn't want to order her current size. But I talked to her and she came to reason.

I have one girl who's struggling with money right now, and I just told her I'd pay for it and she can pay me back in payments. We have a nice cushion in our wedding account right now, so I could do that.

Like the others said, maybe see if someone at the bridal shop will be the bad guy, or if you can offer to pay for one of the dresses do it. It's a tough situation, but they might be more understanding too if they know why you put a deadline on it.
  • i could probably cover the costs for one or two, but not all three (it would be like $450) plus then I would feel like the one bridesmaid who already has purchased her dress in full was getting the shaft. 

I texted them all today and only one got back to me. She said she was shooting for June since she just had her wisdom teeth out and that cost her about $1,000. Totally understandable and at least she responded, the other two are just ignoring me...lol. *Sigh*

Again, thank you so much for the input everyone. It truly does help.
  • I totally understand. When we went dress shopping the first time, my sister and on BM bought their dresses. My MOH bought hers a few weeks ago (but at another store). One is still waiting, but the first dresses are on hold at the manufacturers waiting for the last of the dresses to make sure their going to be the same dye lot.

I did let them pick out their own dresses with requirements (long scarlet dresses from AA or Bill Levkoff). I'm hoping my last one will find hers. We're going shopping again and hopefully we can find one she likes enough.....
    Photobucket
  • I actually made a FB event for all my BM's that had a date of May 1st for ordering the dresses. FB ended up reminding them to order and they all did! (last one ordered yesterday). I then just changed the date of the event to the wedding date so I can keep all the important info for each of them to know on there and so we can all communicate that way too.
  • If you give them enough time to save it shouldn't be an issue. I picked my BM's dresses about 2 months before they needed them to be paid. I also gave them a roundabout price on how much the dresses might be. I have 9 BM's and I didnt' have a problem with anyone not paying for their dresses on time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards