October 2012 Weddings

wtf VP you call these invitations?

Has anyone else ordered invitations from Vistaprint? Were you satisfied with the quality?

I just received ours in the mail yesterday. It was quite a shock. I'm not sure if it's my fault or theirs, or both, but the quality is terrible. I didn't know they would be sent flat, with a raised center. I didn't want to have to fold them myself, and now that I've tried a few, they are not folding neatly, even with a scorer. The paper stock is cheap, and the ink on the front is cheap looking. I would have gotten better results from my printer. Some of them didn't print cleanly (i,e, black dots). The phone numbers on the rsvp card are misaligned (which may be my fault, I'll have to check the proof).

I called to complain and they are sending me 20 new ones to replace the ones that didn't print cleanly. I don't want 20 new ones, I want invitations that look decent. I'm embarrassed to send these out.

(unfortunately my camera is busted so no pics yet). I feel like harassing them until I get a refund, or curling up in ball and crying. Maybe both.

WWYD?

Re: wtf VP you call these invitations?

• aimee58aimee58 member
    First Comment
    That sucks!! I was a little disappointed with mine, but just because we ordered matte and not glossy. Glossy would have been way better.

But the printing was done well and it was decent quality, just like any other invites.

I would see how the 20 replacements come out. If you're still disappointed, call them up again and request a refund or higher quality product.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My company uses VP for business cards and sometimes I find their printing quality to be a bit sketchy. Becuase of that I didn't even consider using them for my invitations.

Anniversary
  • lehc723lehc723 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I used them for mine and had a fine experience, but I've ordered the folded cards (for holidays, and I picked up some thank you cards) and you're right, them not being pre-folded is a pain. I usually take a few (five or ten) and stick a big pile of books on top of them after I've got them folded correctly, just to make it look a little cleaner.

Good luck! :-/
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_wtf-vp-you-call-these-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:a13427c8-bc31-4edf-9865-750c94bc5656Post:7a2091e4-67c2-4bd9-a1c7-5fccaf49df9a">Re: wtf VP you call these invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My company uses VP for business cards and sometimes I find their printing quality to be a bit sketchy. Becuase of that I didn't even consider using them for my invitations.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

I had the same experience with my Christmas cards this year.  The printing of the font was faded in a lot of places, but I know a lot of people rave about VP.  If I were you, I would see how the new 20 look and what you think at that point.  Post pics when you can..maybe they aren't as bad as you think!!
  • I did STD postcards from VP and I thought they were beautiful. OP, did you upload your own design? The problem may be with custom fonts/colours.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • edited May 2012
    Honestly, sometimes Vistaprint is hit or miss.  I ordered my invitations and rsvp cards and they happened to come out beautifully.  However, before I placed my "big" order.  I ordered 10 in my print just to see how they would look.  The color on some of them was splotchy and faded, but when I called VP and told them, they garaunteed my large ordered would be correct--or I would get my money back.  

I would call them back and tell them you want to return the entire order because you are so unstatisfied, and see what they say.  20 replacements doesn't cut it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker siggy 6

• Hey ladies,

Just to give you an update:

-I only accepted the replacements because I was so emotionally exhausted (not just the invitations, other things went down yesterday) I just said "fine!" into the phone.

-I used one of their own designs.

-I have called them back and asked for some copies in glossy to see if there is a noticeable difference, but the biggest thing bothering me right now is the terrible fold line. I've tried a scorer and the heavy book idea, and they still don't look right to me. They'd be fine as invitations to a birthday party, but not for a formal wedding.

I might need some more wine tonight and then I'll call them back tomorrow to say I want a full refund.

@achiduck: I did some more research and it turns out that VP business cards are smaller and thinner than the standard that every other printing business uses. No wonder you felt something was off.

I am kicking myself right now. I KNEW I should have just ordered 10 and waited to see how they turned out before I ordered the rest. I was in such a rush to get this done because I have no time in the next two weeks to visit stationers in person, and I leave to start my summer job on June 9. I feel embarrassed to sent these out with the VP logo on the back. People will say "No wonder!". Lol. Turns out the bad reviews for VP Canada are even more numerous than for VP US.
  • Yeah, I ordered my Save the dates with VP...I was a bit disappointed in the paper quality since the paper was really flimsy and looked cheap.  I didn't upgrade the paper so I think the plain matte paper is pretty shitty.  For $20 (I had a groupon I used so it was super cheap) I didn't think it was worth the hassle for save the dates so I sent them out anyway because I didn't really care.  They looked OK but not that nice.  For what I paid, I guess I can't really complain.

I ordered the sample kit (it's free) to see what the other paper options are, thinking I might give them another shot if they had better paper options to upgrade to.  Turns out their upgraded paper options are sooo much nicer and actually even feel a LOT better than the standard stock all of their paper products comes with.  They have a premium matte paper and luxury linen cardstock that looks and feels real nice so I think I'm going to do my invites with them since I was able to get a couple groupons so I can order my invites as well as upgrade the paper.

Can you return the ones you ordered and ask to upgrade the paper?  It will probably cost more but it will look a lot better.
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • I ordered from VP for my STD magnets, and they turned out great. I think maybe one or two had little imperfections from the ink...otherwise they were great. So I ordered my invitations and RSVP's from them too. I love them. They are perfect and not one issue. I had a colored map put on the back of them, and that turned out fine too. I am happy with both my orders.

I would see if they would send you the 20...but if you arent happy ask if you can reorder...maybe something with no folding required? Mine are simple, so maybe thats why? IDK.
    weddingpic
  • Success! I got a partial refund for the invitations only. Turns out the misaligned text on the reply cards is due to my approving the design. I don't remember the text being misaligned on the proof, but no way to dispute that now. I told them flat out that the invitations being advertised as folded and arriving flat is unacceptable, that the fold line is impossible to keep straight, and that I'm embarrassed to send these out and they are unusable. The lady I spoke to asked "so......are you looking for a refund?"....to which I replied "yessssssss!!!!", then of course she put me on hold.

That being said, I got the refund. They didn't ask any more questions, and they didn't ask to see any proof.

So moral of the story:

-VP is hit or miss
    -stick with simple invitations, don't bother with the folded ones
    -order 10 to make sure you like them, then order the rest
    -investigate the quality of other papers
    -never use them for business cards
    -don't be afraid to complain
  • I'm glad to hear it worked out Jenn!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards