October 2012 Weddings
Options

What % of your wedding will end up credit cards?

Out of pure curiosity....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
October 13, 2012

Re: What % of your wedding will end up credit cards?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Ours will be 0%. We would never plan a wedding we couldn't pay for in cash. I don't think it's worth it to go into credit card debt. ETA: I am not judging others who do this. That is just my personal outlook!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I tend to agree. We'll put about a grand, a little less then 1% of our total budget. We could do it out of pocket but would have to dip into our emergency fund to do so which makes me nervous. So last minute items, cake, flowers, alcohol, will go on a card and then paid off the following month. Not happy about it but it is what it is I suppose.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_what-of-your-wedding-will-end-up-credit-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:a981216c-a9a1-4f66-bb3d-1b3908baa1ddPost:9c90c809-82d8-418d-ad83-1a963cafced5">Re: What % of your wedding will end up credit cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tend to agree. We'll put about a grand, a little less then 1% of our total budget. We could do it out of pocket but would have to dip into our emergency fund to do so which makes me nervous. So last minute items, cake, flowers, alcohol, will go on a card and then paid off the following month. Not happy about it but it is what it is I suppose.
    Posted by trawas01[/QUOTE]

If you're paying it off the following month, then it shouldn't be a big deal. I just don't understand people who plan weddings they can't afford then put it on the credit card. Our engagement will be 18 months long, but we are paying for the wedding ourselves (which I have NO problem) with, and even though I would have liked a shorter engagement, we needed the time to save.
  • Options
    A few little things I'm sure will, but nothing big.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm putting everything I possibly can on my credit card so that I can get airmiles, but I pay it off immediately. So 0%. I never put anything on my credit card that I can't pay off right away, I refuse to pay interest!
  • Options
    we are paying cash for everything. no debt. dont want to start off our marriage with a debt (IMO).  FI and I think that if we want to buy a house and start a family right away that having a debt can delay this happening. 
  • Options
    Just my opinion, but if you have to put it on a credit card, you shouldn't be having that kind of a wedding.  I would never pay for something I can't afford at the time!  0% on a credit card for us!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    FI and I have both been silly with credit in the past and don't want to go down that path again. We are not putting a dime on credit for the wedding. We're taking our money that we get as gifts and putting it toward a honeymoon, not paying off credit cards.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    None of the wedding is going on CCs. We will happily go to bed on our wedding night knowing it's 100% paid for.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I use my credit card all the time...hello cash back bonus!  But, I've never not paid my bill in full at the end of the month.  I only charge what I know I can afford.  I've bought stuff for the wedding on my credit card, but it is paid off ASAP by the end of the month. In my opinion, it's so not worth it to start your marriage in debt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As little as possible. We've paid in cash for all our vendors so far. I have been charging for low-cost material things like DIY stuff and our save-the-date magnets, and anything I'm buying online, mainly because it's the best way I know to document purchases and be able to take recourse if something goes wrong or a charge needs to be disputed. The only major wedding-related item I've put on a card was my dress, and that was only because my mom was going to pay for it originally, but then found out that she wouldn't be able to.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • Options
    We've used the credit card occassionally, usually when a payment is due and we are in between paydays, but it gets paid off once we actually get paid. Also FI earns cash back on his credit card too. The only other major thing going on the credit card is the honeymoon, but it will be paid off just after the wedding. I don't want to do what my brother did when he got married. He took out a $11000 loan! I couldn't believe it. I've been stupid with credit in my younger days, and I will not let my FI ruin his credit when we can just cut back on something. 
    October '12
    ~MARRIED 10.11.12~
  • Options
    0% on the credit card for us and anything that does get charged gets paid off immediately! We have a long engagement which allows us to have the money for everything.
  • Options
    We put a lot on cards but its paid off...there maybe some last minute things that pop up that will go on and be paid off the next month. 
    for siggy
  • Options
    0%. My FI would never allow it; thankfully, he is very frugal because I am not...at all. We definitely balance each other out and he has kept me under control when it comes to wedding spending.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We have put everything on the amex but it is paid off every month in full.  We never overspend and don't plan to.  We will probably put the rehearsal dinner on that too but it will be paid off the month after the wedding.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We're putting 50-60% on our credit cards but not because of lack of funds.  We're paying the cards off immediately but since FI and I both have airline credit cards (we travel a lot for business and pleasure), we just wanted the frequent flier points.  We figured if we're going to be spending so much money, we might as well get a free flight or two out of it! :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I put less than 1% but I'm not sure that we will put any on a credit card. It's more a guess that something might come up that week.

Edti: Phone typo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We are putting 0% on CC.  I want to wake up the next morning knowing everything is paid for and I won't be dreading getting any kind of bill!

Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Looks like everyone's on the same boat. I'm on 0% as well! Good job couples!
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    None. We already went through our "credit card phase" and will never go there again. I do agree with if you cant afford your wedding then you should wait a little longer hence why our engagement was over 2 years. I do not judge those that do. To each his own...
    weddingpic
  • Options
    We wouldn't have a wedding that was above our means.  I am in the same boat as the others who said they are putting as much as possible on the credit card to get the rewards and then pay it off in full.  I learned the perils of credit card debt in college and will never not pay off my credit card in full again!
  • Options
    I'm in a bit of a different situation. Technically we're payin in cash, but only as that money was set aside for tuition. Instead I'm using the cash to pay for the wedding and using my student line of credit for school instead. I figure most students have debt and I got my first degree debt free. Over the summer I will be able to pay everything back on my student line of credit with my fulltime job.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    A majority of it will be paid in cash before the wedding, however, there is a good chunk that will probably be put on a credit card, only because we get points/cash rewards with it and they are interest free for almost 2 years.  They will be paid off before the interest free period is up.  We're doing this to spread out the payments to ease our cash outflow at the moment.  Paying out smaller amounts over a longer period of time, rather than larger amounts in a shorter period of time, just works better for us right now.  We won't be putting anything on credit cards where we will be charged an interest rate though.  
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    I opened a Zales credit card for my wedding ring, but I chose a ring that I could afford to pay off in six months, and I am already well on my way towards paying it off.

I also opened a David's Bridal card to pay for my dress--but same scenario. I've paid off 3/4 of the bill so far and I will finish paying it off long before the 0% interest period expires.

Everything else is being paid for in cold, hard cash. ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am not personally putting anything on credit. My father has offered to pay for the catering, which will run about $12,000.  I have a feeling that may go on his CC, but I can't say for sure.  My FI and I are both teachers, so we know that there will be a lot of belt tightening once we have little ones. We don't want to add to that with unnecessary wedding debt. I'm sad that we have to skip a honeymoon, but it means we get to save up for an amazing anniversary vacation when we can afford it!
  • Options
    We are paying the entire wedding ourselves and are ahppy to report that we should be able to pay off the entirety on our own! woo hoo for being  penny pinches these last 7 months!!  It will be an awesome feeling of our wedding night knowing that we will totally be wedding debt free!
  • Options
    I finally put my credit card to bed!!!   I haven't charged alot, but it is very easy to use.
    It is in a chunk of ice, deep in the freezer. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker86 Invited image
    57 Aye!Will be in port! image
    16 Nay,be out to sea. image
    13 Are floundering! image
  • Options
    We got our wedding bands from Jared's and put a good chunk of it on his Jared's card, but we timed it so that it will be paid off before the wedding.  We figured it made sense to take advantage of the interest free promos they have and have a very small monthly bill.

Other than that we have no intention of putting anything on credit cards.  Does that mean we won't at some point?  Probably not, but that's the plan.  We're in the same boat as a lot of you guys, we're paying ourselves so we planned a 22 month engagement so we could save and pay cash for just about all of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • Options
    Almost everything.. for the miles to basically get a free honeymoon. CC's are paid off every month so no debt involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards