October 2012 Weddings
Options

Vent: Honeymoon:(

We still haven't found out for sure about whether or not my FI will be laid out, but things are looking good (knock on wood) Anyway, FI started his job in October of this year. By the time we get married, he will have been there a year. He doesn't get a vacation, though, until 2013. He requested to take the week off unpaid and his manager approved it. The union rep pulls him aside Thursday morning and tells him that he can't take that many days off in a row without being put on probation or fired. He can't even get the day if the wedding off. He will have to call off sick to attend our wedding. He will have to work the night before the wedding until 7 am the day of the wedding. So, now we don't get a honeymoon. I think it's ridiculous that he doesn't get a vacation, even though he'll be there a year. And he might have the sleep the day of our wedding up until the wedding. I'll plan a big vacation for the next February or March, but to me it's just a vacation then, not a honeymoon. Oh well, in the grand scheme of things, I guess it's not a huge deal.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Vent: Honeymoon:(

• Options
    That's a bummer :(  I'm sorry.  How many days could he take off without the consequences?  They should make some kind of exception - it's your wedding!

A good way to look at it though is that you'll have more time to save more money for a longer/better honeymoon :)
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You summed it up perfectly, while it totally and completely sucks that you might not be able to take your honeymoon when you originally intended you'll still get to go and it'll be special all the same. 

That's very silly about him possibly being put on probation/fired for taking a week off, especially when it's management approved.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Also, he will literally have to call off sick to attend the wedding. I'm looking on the bright side because in the spring, it won't be hurricane season, so we can go wherever we want. Having a job is better than no job, but I just feel bad for FI. He's very upset over this. I think it's ridiculous that they won't even give him the day of the wedding off. Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    How many days can he take off in a row? If the management approved for a whole week, why can't he take a day off? I'm confused about that. It sounds ridiculous.
    photo 8772_10102412474713255_135784916_n.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_vent-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:eb2d00ad-403f-4b2e-a277-0324aa4651fbPost:9594fd88-b4c8-46a8-837d-605eba5ddead">Re: Vent: Honeymoon:(</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many days can he take off in a row? If the management approved for a whole week, why can't he take a day off? I'm confused about that. It sounds ridiculous.
    Posted by magpie87[/QUOTE]

The management approved for the week, but the union did not. With his job, he has to join a union, so while his boss approved for him to go, the union reps ultimately decided he couldn't.
  • Options
    Can he sit down and talk again with the union rep? Or talk to a different rep? Maybe the union feels like he didn't come to them first and they're being all pissing contest about it? Sorry about this, I would be bummed as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That sucks about having to call in sick for the wedding.  Has he talked to the union or his boss about this? It doesn't make sense that he is not alloted any days off.
  • Options
    Sounds like a terribe union!  Isn't a union supposed to look out for its members interests?  If he could take a couple of days off after the wedding maybe you could at least do a little getaway?
  • Options
    can't believe they won't let him have vacation for his wedding! things could still change...i hope it works out for both of you. despite the sad news, i think you're handling it pretty well. Your honeymoon will still be a honeymoon. Piece of advice my future sister-in-law gave me...WEAR YOUR VEIL as much as possible on your honeymoon especially to the airport. She and her husband got free champagne and strawberries on their flight...their hotel room got upgraded for free when they checked-in...they were treated well and got other free stuff...so do that and i'm sure your trip will feel like a honeymoon
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    That's crazy what kind of job does he have that he does not get vacation time.  I know the feeling about not having the honeymoon right after the wedding.  We are paying for our wedding and can not afford a honeymoon right away. 
    Michelle Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards