DC

My Wedding Challenge

jmschuettjmschuett member
First Comment
My fiance and I are leaving the country for the govt in Jan - and are interested in pulling off a real wedding before then (if all else fails we have a civil ceremony and do a real one later). 1. Is it possible to pull off a wedding in DC in 4-5months?2. What venues can you suggest (w/food) under $15,000 - but still classy?3. Could a get a great deal on someone else's change of mind/heart? (ie. them backing out of their reserved space)Non-negotiables are:1. Catholic wedding - we aren't cutting the ceremony2. Friends and Family - at least 150, prob 200, maybe 250pl. 3. Good food, Open bar and DJ (no i-pod, i tried)

Re: My Wedding Challenge

• guacamollyguacamolly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4-5 months is totally possible. No one really even wants to talk to me until 6 months out, and they think I'm kind of crazy for planning this far in advance. If you want the whole shebang under $15,000 that might be difficult... but just venue and food is probably possible. We're at Ft. Myer Officer's Club and it's about $9000 for 80ish people, but we're adding a good bit on (cocktail hour and fajita bar).
  • edited December 2011
    I totally agree- 4-5 months is totally doable! My FI and i were supposed to get married in april but due to my brothers deployment overseas bumped it up substantially to dec.--- we have had no issues and we had about 6 months to really plan. I would just be on a roll getting things done and get them done w/ a quickness and i thikn youl be okay. you really dont have time to dilly-dally around so just be on the balla nd you should be fine! I would def. start looking at places asap and get thier prices in advance so you can look at what your talking. Hotels are a good choice b/c you can do buffet or just an appetizer reception and it can be decent!! best of luck!
  • TBomb979TBomb979 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very do-able. Try the Hilton in Rockville, MD. My contact is Riva Neam and we got a great deal on a four-course meal and cake!
  • edited December 2011
    4-5 months is VERY doable. I would recommend the City Club of Washington, very reasonable packages for food and bar. The food is awesome and the space is pretty! Honestly, I think the bigger issue could be the Catholic ceremony. Check about that first if it's a non-negotiable thing for you. Some Catholic churches require that you are a member of the parish for at least 6 months prior to discussing a wedding there. Also, most require that you begin wedding preparation 6 months before the date. You'll have to schedule pre-cana and all that jazz. For us, the church reqs ended up determining when we could get married, then we worked around that. GOOD LUCK and congrats!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm echoing the concerns about the Catholic ceremony.  My FI and I just moved here, and we're getting married in six months just because most of the churches in the Diocese of Arlington require any couples getting married there to apply for marriage and do pre-Cana activities for six months prior to the date.  In many churches in the area (that I've talked to), you actually can register for the parish and your wedding on the same day, but it almost always HAS to be six months before you want to get married.I recommend calling the church NOW to see if they will make an exception for government duties.  It might help if you are already a member of the parish.I think the rest is doable.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    The sixth months for a Catholic wedding could be a problem.  If you are leaving the country for military though, or if whatever organization you are with has an assigned Catholic chaplain, they may be able to rush the process for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards