Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Getting Married in 5 days HELP!

Hi Ladies,

My FI and I are getting married THIS FRIDAY!  we are planning a wedding for next year (one our one year anniversary)... I know it's a little off beat-bride and I've received a lot of criticism for it so I hope I don't get that here from you guys...

Anyway... We have been so focused on plans for next year we still don't have a spot for this year!  It's only going to be our parents and siblings as witnesses we just want to be outside in a park of some sort and it will only be about a 15min ceremony. 

Money is an issue for us so we were looking for some place free (public) but still pretty and something that doesn't require a permit.  We live near Media so something in the suburbs also.

I know I'm asking alot but we haven't lived here that long so we don't know the area that well.... Any help or location suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks ladies!

Re: Getting Married in 5 days HELP!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Valley Garden Park in DE, on rt. 52, is secluded, lovely, and free.  Many DE photogs go there for engagement pictures.  I would suggest that, especially if money is an issue.

If you have around $100, you might check into Gibraltar, also on rt 52 (closer to Wilmington).  It's like The Secret Garden.  I know they allow pictures there for a donation, but I don't know how much it would be to do a ceremony.  It's worth a shot, IMO.

Rockford Park, in Wilmington on the Brandywine, is gorgeous as well and an open, free park.  That is where we are doing our wedding pictures.

What about doing it at home?  If it is just your immediate family and a few friends, doing at home (especially if it's your childhood home) has more meaning and memories.  Or a backyard? 

Hope either of these help.  I know you are doing your celebration next year, but IMO, if it is just your immediate family and friends and you can't find a place this close to the wedding, I would think about looking around and trying to find a place and doing it in a few weeks, so you aren't cutting it short.  That way, you can visit a few places and make sure it's exactly what you want; you can ask on this board and get recommendations, but you don't know if it will work unless you check out places and make sure it's you and FI.

For the record, I have no issue with you getting married with just close family and friends now and doing a vow renewal celebration next year.  I am sure you have reasons; isn't this what many military families do before a deployment?  Why shouldn't you be allowed to do the same, if it fits your life?  Congrats on getting married!  I am sure that you will look gorgeous and be happy, whether you do it this Friday, in a few weekends, or next year- because you are in love, and that isn't going to change!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am personally partial to The Willows park in Radnor.  Beautiful scenery, and they have a very pretty pond with some Willow trees near it that might might a pretty ceremony spot (weather permiting).  There are often events at the mansion there, but we were able to take engagement photos there and have picniced often with friends for free.  Basicaly, if you call ahead of time and check that there won't be an event at the mansion, you should be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Rosetree Park on Providence Rd/Rt 252 in Media.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Swarthmore college might have a spot you could use too.
  • Options
    klibertikliberti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_getting-married-5-days?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:405a6d8e-8c59-4600-b58d-d16deb103080Post:c7f3c018-97b0-42ce-b5c8-ee9bda074b71">Re: Getting Married in 5 days HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the record, I have no issue with you getting married with just close family and friends now and doing a vow renewal celebration next year.  I am sure you have reasons; isn't this what many military families do before a deployment?  Why shouldn't you be allowed to do the same, if it fits your life?  Congrats on getting married!  I am sure that you will look gorgeous and be happy, whether you do it this Friday, in a few weekends, or next year- because you are in love, and that isn't going to change!!
    Posted by Ms.BriarRose[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your support-  it's been a rough few weeks getting our immediate families onboard with this (no one else knows yet.) 

You guys all made awesome suggestions that I'm gonna go check out right now!  I've heard really great things about the Willows... that's what I'm leaning towards!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hang in there...hubby and i will have been married for almos 4 yrs by the time we have our wedding...we had our reasons, and it's been an adventure, but don't feel like it's wrong.  :)
    Photobucket

september siggy challenge! my colours!

"Love does not consist of gazing at each other's eyes but looking outwards at the same direction." - The Little Prince Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    klibertikliberti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So-  I checked out Valley Garden Park in DE today and LOVED it- only to realize our PA marraige lisence is only good in PA- blah...

I also went to The Willows which I also love but you are required to have a permit for EVERYTHING there and permits are expensive (if this were our only "wedding" we'd have no problem paying but we are doing the whole 9 yards next year too)

We've looked at Ridley State Park and are considering it but afraid there will be other events going on there/ we won't have space to ourselves. 

Now off to check out Rose Tree Park

We talked about doing it on our back yard but we rent our home now and neither of us is from the area so there is no sentimental value there.  We also decided that if we may want to come back to our wedding location some day- so we really wanted to stick to a public park area.

Thanks for your support ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards