Georgia-Atlanta

What was your in and out time for getting your marriage license?

I was just wondering if its an all day thing or quick (by that I mean 30mins to an hour). We're probably going to go in Fulton county,  North Service Center? 
Anniversary

Re: What was your in and out time for getting your marriage license?

• edited December 2011
    It depends on what day you go and what time of day.

It took us 30 minutes to get our marriage license at 9 a.m.
  • edited December 2011
    We went to Cobb county and it took about 10 minutes.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Wait....this is a silly question. But once you have a marriage license, you are, in effect, married?

SO new to this. lol
  • edited December 2011
    Nah it's not official until the person marrying you signs it and sends it in.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    It's basically an application for marriage.  The officiant has to sign it when you actually get married, and then it is sent back into the Probate Court.  You then received your Marriage Certificate.

We didn't have a wait, and to go over the questions "are you related in any way? Are either of you divorced? Mother's maiden, father's name, places of birth..." paying the fees, and walking out the door was 30 min.
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_out-time-getting-marriage-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:0783d6ca-c30c-44ba-ba37-d347efaf3fd4Post:a2699f7d-bd60-4b2a-b371-d76eba3c10a0">Re: What was your in and out time for getting your marriage license?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait....this is a silly question. But once you have a marriage license, you are, in effect, married? SO new to this. lol
    Posted by maggiebaggie[/QUOTE]

<div>No, your <strong>license</strong> is not what "makes" you married. It's like an application. Your officiant signs it and mails it back to where ever jurisdiction you got it from. </div><div>
    </div><div>Then, after they process it, you go pick up your marriage <strong>certificate,</strong> which proves you are married. You'll need several copies for your driver's license, SS card, employer HR, bank, credit cards, etc. Some may want to keep a certified copy and others may just make a photocopy, from what I have been told. I think it is the first 2 that want an official copy to keep, but don't hold me to that. Better to have more copies than to have to make a second trip back there. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • dombygatenbydombygatenby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were in and out at the Dekalb County Courthouse super quick. If you are going to be applying for a pistol license, you might as well do that at the same time. They are in the same room at Dekalb County.
  • edited December 2011
    So far I have changed my name at SS office, driver's license, bank, work, credit cards & none of them have wanted to keep my marriage certificate.  The last 2 didn't even want to see it.
    Photobucket
  • erinh44erinh44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How far in advance should you get your marriage license?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards