Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

*Jess*

Hey! I want to make your casserole tonight, but I'm not sure I have a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish. Can I use a lasagna pan or something?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: *Jess*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    butting in... I think you can still make it in a larger pan, you may not have to cook it as long though because it will be "thinner" spread, and cook through faster.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, I've never made a casserole before.  I know I have white, ceramic-type casserole dishes, I just don't know how big they are.  Do you cook it with the top on or off?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My guess is uncovered.
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes! I've used a lasagna pan...and a corning ware type dish... just like MH said- the larger the pan, the shorter time you have to cook it

I cook it uncovered
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'll have to rummage around and see what I have.  I'll just keep an eye on it when cooking.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Butting in - 
    I was thinking of making this too.. but I have a question, don't laugh:

I am a great baker, not so great at cooking.  My downfall is overcooking things like chicken/fish/steak but I am great at casseroles and things that tend to resemble baking.  So this recipe looks easy enough - but the "shredded cooked chicken" part is throwing me off.  Anyone want to give me a tip to take frozen chicken and turn it into "shredded cooked chicken" without me drying it out/burning it?  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto, I was wondering about this as well. My plan was to cut up raw chicken into small chunks, cook it stovetop until it was cooked throughout, and then throw it in the mix. Similar to how I do a chicken pot pie.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ususally to "shred" it easily it has to slow cook until it practically falls apart on its own.  You can easily do what cara suggested, just cutting it up.  The fastest way to do it is cooking the chicken on the stove top... maybe just keep a lid on it to keep it moist so you don't overcook/dry it out?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I googled the best way to make shredded chicken and it actually suggests boiling it.. So I may try this and report back :)   I think I stand a smaller chance of ruining the chicken if I boil vs cook in a pan.
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thats just what the official recipe says...

I usually use left over chicken for this so its already cooked
    But I use the term 'shredded' loosely...

I've done it before where I just cut chicken into pieces and cook it stir fry style until its ready- and then cut that into smaller pieces if needed and throw it in the casserole

Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    adding to this...

I always cook these things covered....  and I either chop the chicken into cubes and boil or just put it in a frying pan and brown that way. Boiling it is fast, but pan frying it is tastier IMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I've ever boiled chicken..... I like cutting into small pieces and pan frying.  I think its pretty quick.  You just have to be careful not to brown the outside too much or it gets a tough skin that's not fun to eat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL that is why I just boil it so I dont mess the outside up. But it is easy either way. I think I have boiled it before when I had to use the water anyways for egg noodles...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Interesting........
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I cool the noodles and then use the same pot and water for the chicken LOL  its not as gross as it sounds!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That doesn't sound gross. I'm wondering if it would save any more time than if I cooked the noodles and chicken simultaneously while I was pre-heating the oven.  I don't get home from the gym until late and I want to be economical with my time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That might actually take the same amt of time! Good thinking. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anytime I've used shredded chicken for anything (mostly soup) I bake the chicken.  I'll get chicken breasts that still have the bone and skin, because there's less of a chance that they'll dry out.  Also, invest in a good meat thermometer!!! If you routinely check the temperature of your chicken or whatever meat you're cooking, it won't dry out.

Let me see if I can look up my baked chicken recipe.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rotisserie chickens are pretty cheap too if you want to do it that way, I did that before. :)  Giant had it on sale and it was like 5 bucks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Okay here is my foolproof baked chicken recipe.

4 pieces of chicken (either all breast, all thigh, etc.  Different parts of the chicken cook at different times, so if you get the same kind... they'll cook at the same rate) with the bone in and the skin on
    2 T unsalted butter

Put rack in oven to upper-middle position and preheat to 450.  Take a broiler pan, and line the bottom with foil and put the slotted part on top.  That way any fat that drips from the chicken will lay on the foil and will make for easier cleanup.

Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and arrange skin-side up on broiler pan.  Brush the skin with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Roast for 30-50 minutes, until the breast reads 160 degrees or the legs, thighs, or drumsticks read 175.  Breasts normally take 30-40 minutes.  Darker meat takes longer. 

Another alternative, instead of brushing the chicken with melted butter, you can take the tablespoons of unsalted butter and mix them with herbs and spices.  Minced garlic, rosemary, or lemon zest and pepper... then loosen up the skin under the chicken, put half of the butter under the skin and the rest of the butter ontop of the skin.  I do that if I'm not going to be shredding the chicken.  And I when I shread the chicken, I pull it apart with two forks.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_jess-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:4649752d-2f02-4ad3-ba72-50fd98b55417Post:38b6255e-1771-4d6f-87ac-b35647db7bef">Re: *Jess*</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rotisserie chickens are pretty cheap too if you want to do it that way, I did that before. :)  Giant had it on sale and it was like 5 bucks!
    Posted by Bride_to_be_2011[/QUOTE]

I always forget that this is an option.... I'm going to ask DH to get one of these.  They are so cheap, not more than buying raw meat, and save so much time.  Its like Sandra Lee's semi-homemade stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly! LOVE sandra lee!!  It is just easier to do that, and it is so moist and tasty! And you are right, they are really are like the same price. friggin chicken is so expensive. OH that reminds me, its BYGO free perdue family packs at Giant. :)  You should get some!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I emailed DH and asked him to price compare. haha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    RecoveringActor-
    I used your method tonight.  PERFECTO!   Mmmmmmmm.  From now on, it's worth spending the 45 minutes to bake the chicken .. so much more moist than in a pan on the stovetop.  I ended up eating half of it as I took it off the bone to shred .. :)  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't boil chicken.  Any fat that comes off it ends up separating and floating on top of the water which just skeeves me out.  Not to mention how pale it looks un-seasoned and un-browned. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad it worked, ooodsie!  FI doesn't like chicken on the bone... but it tastes SO MUCH BETTER.  This is my go-to dinner when I'm having people over.  I make an herb butter out of rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, and unsalted butter... and then I make these herb potatoes that have a ton of garlic in them, and lemon-pepper seasoned green beans.  It's a home run every time.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards