Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid?

Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid?

• edited December 2011

Mine wasn't for being a bridesmaid, it was for singing at my friend's wedding. She got me a flask, engraved with my name on it. Doesn't sound special, but it meant a lot to me.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Smile1114Smile1114 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ive seen the flasks. I really like the idea for the guys but I didnt think girls would like it. I think their cool though, personally. =) Thanks! Im trying to get ideas for my girls.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
    11/11/11

*Make A Wish*
  • a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just in my brother's wedding 2 weeks ago and they got the girls Vera Bradley clutch wallets and a silver pendant with our initials inscribed on it. LOVE them both!
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have never been a bridesmaid! This is my first wedding and I am the bride ;)

I bought wines bags as part of the gift. One BM knows about it and can't wait to get it!
  • edited December 2011
    Good question! I've never been a bridesmaid, so I can't answer, but FI was in a wedding where all the groomsmen recieved a duffle bag with gifts in them. His were mostly books and movies, but they were all very thoughtful and individualized. He liked the idea a lot, and he still uses the duffle bag.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Here's what I'm getting my girls, if it helps.
    I got my MOH a pink flask with her name engraved on it. I guess it's more of an inside thing b/c we used to go out drinking all the time, but can't since she moved.

Leather bookmarks with silver hearts for two of the BM's, and a fortune cookie keychain for the fourth bm. They're all getting a tote bag with personalized stuff in them too. Flip flops for the reception, the gifts from above, a set of either martini glasses or wine glasses, a set of Honora pearls, (dad works for QVC, so I get a wicked discount on them) and probably a gift certificate or something. Oh and they're all getting pashminas for the wedding day.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've never been in a wedding as an adult.  

I bought one BM her gifts already.  I bought her a hand painted flower pot in Spain, she in really into garnering and flowers. I also got her a handmade lacquer box in India for jewelry.  She is really into handmade things and they would have cost me a fortune elsewhere.  I spend about $10 total on her.  

The box is in this style:

I saw some jewelry I liked at market in London for one of my other BM.  She liked it as well when she was here last year.  

• edited December 2011
    I've been in three weddings, each time I got jewelry to wear for the wedding.  Only once was it something I would ever consider wearing again.

I got my bridal party cosmetics bags from kate spade with day-of emergency items.  Then I got them each one other item that was just something I thought they would like.  A fiestaware pitcher, a personalized dog travel kit, etc., Shopped like it was their birthday.  I got my two MOHs something additional that was also personal.  They seemed to like everything, though I know I wouldn't really hear if they didn't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whats-gift-youve-received-being-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:46665c18-7c48-4c65-b6bf-b2c00c8ac8b8Post:cdb0c873-a290-4def-9d82-abbeab796f0d">Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been in three weddings, each time I got jewelry to wear for the wedding.  Only once was it something I would ever consider wearing again. 
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

<div>My mom and I got in a big fight over getting day of jewelry.  I said it wasn't a gift for them if I wanted them to wear it for MY wedding, it was just self serving.  Plus I don't care if they wear cheap matching necklaces I would rather they wear stuff they like.  </div><div>
    </div><div>My mom said it was tradition yadda, yadda.  I might get something for my sister's dress, but it will not be her gift.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whats-gift-youve-received-being-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:46665c18-7c48-4c65-b6bf-b2c00c8ac8b8Post:af7b1c00-dfaf-43a6-ae43-765eb2fa2257">Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid? : My mom and I got in a big fight over getting day of jewelry.  I said it wasn't a gift for them if I wanted them to wear it for MY wedding, it was just self serving.  Plus I don't care if they wear cheap matching necklaces I would rather they wear stuff they like.   My mom said it was tradition yadda, yadda.  I might get something for my sister's dress, but it will not be her gift.  
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

I feel you on this one. I am giving them jewelry with their gift to be matchy matchy, but that is not all they are getting.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been in two weddings, and of the two gifts I liked the coach wristlet that I got.  I still carry it around in my purse every day because I can leave the whole purse in the office and just grab the wristlet to run around the city for stuff.  Even though I know she didn't spend a ton of money on it, I appreciate that it's useful and I know it's a quality item that I can use for years.

I got my girls vera bradley bags too, and one got a gc to a restaurant and one got a digital pic keychain from Brookstone.  I got the vb bags on ruelala for an awesome price.

Not to sound cheap, but I recommend looking around at sales and discount websites until you find something you would like to give them.  Get the most bang for your buck!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whats-gift-youve-received-being-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:46665c18-7c48-4c65-b6bf-b2c00c8ac8b8Post:8c3e0379-41f9-4717-865a-47b9850d4e6f">Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Not to sound cheap, but I recommend looking around at sales and discount websites until you find something you would like to give them.  Get the most bang for your buck!
    Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Not cheap, savvy.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm kind of of the feeling that if you give someone jewerly and then demand they wear it on your wedding day, its not a gift.  But I know many people who give that and nothing else, and its a personal choice.   
  • mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best gift - Travel bag for shampoo, soap etc with my initals on it.  I take it EVERYWHERE when I travel, or somewhere overnight.  I just keep it stocked with stuff so all I have to do is grab the bag!  The bag was black and she had our letters in our favorite colors.  And she pre-stocked it with stuff too!  LOVE IT!

Worse gift - jewelry or bath and body works stuff (so not personal) 

I agree:  If the jewelry is for the day of, it's not a gift.  If it's something the bride just thought I'd like, that's cool, I'll decide if I want to wear it the day of.  I'm just reminded of getting jewelry for a wedding that was silver... this is how I found out the bride told the other 3 girls black shoes were fine, not the gold shoes I spend WEEKENDS looking for.  I clashed, who cares... her fault for not telling all her girls.  Earings broke at the reception anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I also have never been in a wedding before my own ;)

I polled my girls on what they wanted before buying.  I decided to do something different for each girl.

DH's best maid got a Vera Bradley (This exact one, Gabby in Med. Blue), which I found on RueLaLa for $15 (I lucked out, since she is picky and will only do VB bags that are blue, plus it was my wedding colors).  She then also got Coach products from the Coach outlet that we got for a steal (50+% off, plus several coupons we had)- she got a leather portfolio, an umbrella, and a passport cover (she works for the Republican Party, so the portfolio and the umbrella come in handy for work, and she is 1st gen. Greek, and goes to visit family in Greece often).

My younger sister got a Lands End bag (this one, the medium natural tote with Sapphire trim and her initials).  We actually ordered 3 of them at once, which saved money, plus my mom had a coupon from getting the emails, and they were offering free shipping.  Each bag, with monogram, ended up costing $25- and the medium totes are a really nice size (my sister uses it for her school bag).  Then, I got her a pair of Eliza B flipflops at a sidewalk sale for $15 (she loves her Eliza Bs!).  Finally, at the same sidewalk sale (Rehoboth boardwalk sidewalk sale weekend), I found her travel size OPI nail polishes.  She loves her OPI nail polishes, and loves them in the travel size, but they are harder to find.  I got her 8 different colors, plus a topcoat.

My older sister got the same Lands End bag.  I then got her a Life is Good tee that fit her personality really well, for a steal at the Rehoboth sidewalk sale (it was less than $20).  I got her a matching Life is Good coffee mug at Cabela's on the get rid of it rack for like $4.  Finally, I got her an iHome, something she really wanted but never had the money for (her ipod was a gift from us 2 years ago); we got it at Costco for $40.

I then got each girl blank notecards, postit notes (all of them just happened to be obsessed with postit notes, lol), and a couple of packs of cute tissues- all on the $1 rack at ACM or Michael's.  I got them each 2 PocBac things from Bath and Body Works during a sale.  The last thing I got them was a bangle bracelet that uses Pandora type beads, and got them each 3 beads that they can interchange at a bead show for dirt cheap; they did not have to wear them the day of.

I know they all were really happy to 1) get bags that were of decent quality that they could use again, 2) get items that were tailored to each girl, since each girl was vastly different from the others and one thing would have not worked for all of them, and 3) that I didn't require them to wear or use anything that I had "given" them. 

If you want something that is popular, I agree with the Coach or Vera Wristlets.  Another popular Vera bag that is small but not a wristlet is called The Audrey (click underlined for link), and is a small bag that isn't outrageous in cost.

If you sign up for things like RueLaLa, follow sales, etc, you should be able to do really well.  Even places like Costco and BJs can work to your advantage.

And I highly recommend asking your girls what they would use and what they want.  I am also a HUGE proponent of getting your girls individualized gifts.  Yes, it may take a little longer, but I think it shows that you put time, effort, and thought into what you got them, making sure it worked for that person.  It also ensures they will use it, since it's tailored to them.

For example, a monogrammed flask would have worked for my little sister- but if I had gotten it as a gify, I would have probably thrown it away, because I don't drink like that.  My older sister had no use for a Coach passport cover, but wanted an iHome really badly. 

Those are just some things to think about :)  Hope that all helps you!  I highly recommend RueLaLa (and ShopItToMe, and there are a couple of other sites like those, too) for trying to find some great gifts.
  • FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I received a beautiful necklace from my FSIL - only time I was a BM in a wedding. I was a FG once, and while I remember the dress precisely, I can't tell you what I gift I got although I do know I got one. Probably a bridal barbie doll.

I'm getting my girls the following:
    -Zodiac neckalaces - obviously personalized - I got them off Etsy and they're not super fancy or rinestone craptasticness (made up that one) so I can imagine them wearing it again.
    -For the MOHs (all the sisters - 3 of them) - I actually got hair facinators from whichgoose on Etsy (her stuff is amazing and Emily who owns and designs it is wonderfully sweet) - I just got them in the mail yesterday
    - clutches which will probably have Emergency things in them - still undecided of whether they should be fancy and match - or all different to reflect their personality. They will most likely also be purchased off Etsy.
    - I'm paying for everyone's make-up and the day of I'll get breakfast and treats for while we're all getting ready.
    - ooo and old navy flip flops in the colors so they can change - plus who doesn't need a pair of flip flops?!?
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    I have been a bridesmaids twice;  once when I was 15 and I got a pearl necklace (that I wore on my wedding day) and when I was 23 and I was given a claddah locket.  I think I sold that at a yard sale a couple years ago.

For my bridesmaids, I paid for them to have manicures and pedicures the day of the wedding-- not because I wanted their nails to be done, but because I thought it would be nice to be pampered and to spend a little time together before the craziness started.

Personally, if I was going to be a bridesmaid again, I like anything that is pretty. haha!  I love wristlets, and I die for anything monogramed.  I think someone said something about a keychain?  I love that idea.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • edited December 2011
    LOVE Coach Keychains.  Love keychains in general :)

I got this Coach Whale Keychain at the Coach Outlet at Christmas two years for $7.  They usually have a leather keychain of some kind for a decent price (I would say no more than $20 for their leather ones); I have seen dogs, Red Crabs, initials, whales, spiders...all different ones, and it's all up in the air as to what they have (you could call and find out, though, before deciding to visit). 

Old Navy has some cute keychains, too!  They also have adorable luggage tags as well; I got a pink whale one for 5 bucks a few years ago, and I love seeing it and it's bright colors when traveling :)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whats-gift-youve-received-being-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:46665c18-7c48-4c65-b6bf-b2c00c8ac8b8Post:9b2383d2-f121-4710-a922-ace03571f63c">Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE] (50+% off, plus several coupons we had)- she got a leather portfolio, an umbrella, and a passport cover (she works for the Republican Party, so the portfolio and the umbrella come in handy for work, and she is 1st gen. Greek, and goes to visit family in Greece often). 
    Posted by Ms.BriarRose[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm a Democrat and I use an umbrella all the time when it rains.  </div>
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid? : I'm a Democrat and I use an umbrella all the time when it rains.  
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

You mean not just Republicans use umbrellas? Damn.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whats-gift-youve-received-being-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:46665c18-7c48-4c65-b6bf-b2c00c8ac8b8Post:5207238f-20dd-46d1-b0aa-553c8e17b2fd">Re: Whats the best gift you've received for being a bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You mean not just Republicans use umbrellas? Damn.
    Posted by paprika28[/QUOTE]

<div>Shocking I know.  </div>
  • edited December 2011
    Small Coach wristlet that matched the primary wedding color (gold). Super cute and useful!
  • edited December 2011
    LOL.  I am a democrat and use a umbrella too.  But since she's out at rallies and door to door for quite a bit of stuff, rain or shine, and we knew she didn't have an umbrella, we figured it would be a good gift.  And it was.

Annnnd I believe I said it would come in handy AT WORK, not just because she's a Republican.  It's like saying my mom is a nurse and having an umbrella comes in handy AT WORK- because she is a home infusion nurse and goes to people's houses and is in and out of the elements all the time.

Don't read so much into everything.  Damn.
  • bruinjamie21bruinjamie21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just was in my brother's wedding last weekend, and my future sister-in-law got all her bridesmaids Tiffanys Initial Necklaces. GORGEOUS!
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe a bit personal but sorry in advance...

What is a good price range to stay around?  I have 5 BM and am not sure how much to budget?
  • Smile1114Smile1114 member
    edited December 2011
    Im not sure either. I have 7! Im paying for their makeup at $55 a girl so I kinda need to be conservative here.
    11/11/11

*Make A Wish*
  • edited December 2011
    I have 12 :)

I picked a total gift budget then just worked with that for each girl.
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    12!!!  I thought 5 was alot...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards