• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2009 Weddings

honeymoon...hurricane season, help!

FI and I are planning to go to Orlando, FL for our honeymoon. We will be gone 10/5-10/13. We know that hurricane season is now here- we were watching the weather channel and we saw many storms out in the ocean that look like they're headed for Florida and the Caribbean. FI and I are both somewhat afraid to fly since we've only flown a few times before and not very recently. We are worried about hurricanes since we've never experienced a hurricane. Anyone else feel this way? Does anyone have tips or advice on what to do? We really REALLY want to go to Florida for our honeymoon but we're also both very worried and anxious about flying and about hurricanes. Anyone live in Florida or been through a hurricane? How bad has Orlando gotten hit before with hurricanes and what should you do in one? Any advice would help!

Re: honeymoon...hurricane season, help!

• Can you put your HM off until after hurricane season? We aren't taking a HM until the spring, if we take one at all.
  • omg girl ive lived like 40 min. from Orlando on the East coast for 20 yrs and we never get hurricanes in october. They pretty much start now and end in September. Hurricane is extended into October but we have never had one in October before. Orlando is also in the middle of the state so if the eye, or close to the eye, of the storm isnt going directly into Orlando it will just be rain and wind. It's no big deal at all and it's usually over in a day. I can tell you though that the chance of a hurricane coming in October and then ALSO going through Orlando is basically slim to none!! If it does come, dont be scared, they are actually fun. I love when hurricanes come :) lol
    Meet Moses, one of my many babies!
    Photobucket
    My Blog!
  • i also want to add that usually the only time a hurricane comes to florida is if it comes way down south, going towards the east coast, or it circles around florida into the gulf and hits us from the west coast. We have some type of ocean stream thingy on the east coast that basically circulates the air, so when a hurricane comes towards the middle or top of the state on the east coast, the air stream just pushes it away and it usually hits the Carolinas. Its pretty awesome! So if you see hurricanes coming towards florida from the east coast, that air steam usually just pushes them away! You can prob. watch that happen a couple times this hurricane season!
    Photobucket
    My Blog!
  • Ditto what fotophreak said...and to give you a little extra consolation, the latest a hurricane has ever hit the Gulf Coast area was September 15.  That's going back i forget how many years, so don't even give the hurricanes a thought.  And, unless it's a Katrina type thing, mild hurricanes (category 1, 2, or a weak 3) are pretty awesome!
  • Agree....you should be fine in Orlando!  The most they ever get is rain.  You should be fine!  Enjoy your floridian honeymoon! :)
  • I live in Orlando and I am having an outdoor wedding on 10/18, so obviously I've decided to take my chances. Fingers crossed! It is the last 2-3 weeks of hurricane season so I am hoping for the best. Heaven forbid something should happen, you should be fine in your hotel, they will let you know what to do. But if you are really nervous, postpone it til Dec or Jan, when the weather is more predictable and more pleasant.
  • If you are really worried about hurricane season get travelers insurance that way if a hurricane is heading that way you can cancel and be covered. Then take your honeymoon a little later. My uncle actually lives about an hour south of orlando (I think he is a little east too). He said low category hurricanes are just like a really severe thunderstorms (the ones with the really strong winds, hail, etc.) I guess thats because Orlando is kinda inland? But the way he described it to me was "it was like when we had a funnel form one spring when he was visiting my family in the midwest." So if you have lived through that you'll make it through a low impact hurricane. One thing to think about with Flordia or any hurricane alley destinations... A friend of mine went on her honeymoon last year down in hurricane alley (it was cruise) and she said it rained 8 of the 10 days she was there. I don't know if rain will harm your vacation but just have a few indoor back up plans just in case :D
  • hurricanes are so much fun, i can even say that about charlie, where the eye of the storm hit directly over my house and it was like a category 2 or something when it hit my house. I live right on the beach. We had a hurricane party, the wind was whipping and we went outside messed around. The rain was pouring!!!!!! If you are in a hotel you are DEF. going to be fine. As soon as a hurricane hits land it loses wind speed, etc. SOOO fast. Being in Orlando, your in the middle of the state so by the time it gets to you its just going to be rain and maybe a little bit of wind. I dont even know why i am saying this tho cause i guarantee u are not going to have a hurricane in october lol
    Photobucket
    My Blog!
  • thanks so much everyone! especially u foto since you live close to orlando, i knew u did and was hoping u would respond to my post. i feel much better now. i am still thinking to get trip insurance but i think i will feel better now about it all. fi and i are really excited to go! it should be so much fun!
  • I live in Orlando and we get more than wind and rain. It can get bad here and when we had the 3 or 4 in a row a few years ago we were without power for days. Hurricane Charley and Jeanne were not fun. We have 9 oak trees in our back yard and not looking forward to any high winds or having to replace a roof. Last year when there was a tropical storm, Faye, it rained for DAYS and that equals floods. Not to scare you because October is usually slow, Aug and Sept are the 2 months they are usually in. We are going to Puerto Rico for our HM in August. Disney and all the theme parks, hotels, resorts take care of their guests and at the most would close a park for a day. Takes A LOT for Disney to close. As a tourist you have really nothing really to worry about, maybe 1 day loss if that.
  • kat we also lost power during all those crazy hurricanes in a row, thank god i have a huge generator tho so it was awesome! omg and i hated that hurricane last yr or 2 yrs ago or whatever that just sat over us for days and days!! I think u said it was francis. That one made me SOOOO mad!!! it was nice tho because they gave us a few days off work! My house is kinda on a hill tho and my neighborhood never floods. I live near the beach tho and it floods a lot down there near the ocean!
    Photobucket
    My Blog!
  • I live 2 hours south of Orlando and we barely have hurricanes in October. As long as I have lived (all 24 yrs) we have had really only 1 hurricane in October and that was in 2005. I am secertly hoping the Hurricane Bill comes our way becasue they are fun to go thru but I know that I will regret saying that becasue when the power goes out I will have a cranky baby. But like pp said get travelers insurance and you should be fine.
    Photobucket Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards