Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

*Kristen*

I started to respond on the AW thread, but I didn't want to hijack that...

Yeah, I'm struggling... I thought booking b-pics would be a good motivator.  I lost almost 20 pounds last year and am up about 8 and feel like poo about it.   Good for you though!! It feels SO great to lose and feel good about how you look!!  And that's awesome that you've kept it off, which is no easy task.  What's your workout routine like? Do you track calories?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: *Kristen*

• Options
    edited December 2011

Congrats on your weight loss last year, you can have the 8lbs back in NO time! What are you doing to work out now, what are you eating?

Right now I am doing the C25K (3 days a week) to get myself back into running from an injury I had post wedding.  High intensity intervals are spose to be GREAT for you! I am enjoying getting my miles up while doing the program.  I also lift at least 1-2 times a week, depending on when I am in the mood.  On filler days when I don't feel like making it to the gym or doing the C25K, I will do 30 day shred at home or do some easy lifting just to get myself moving.

I don't track calories anymore, because I know what I am "allowed", I know what a low, medium, and high calorie day looks like.  I know how to let myself splurge and when I should not be splurging or how to make up for a splurge.

It has become second nature to me now.  I just hope to continue to keep it off and maybe tone up for bikini season!! :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I use fatsecret...  the best part about it is the app for my phone.  I find that anything that you have to enter online makes things difficult, but if you can enter something on your phone, it's really convenient.

I've only been doing it for two weeks so far, and I've only lost 1 pound, but I have hopes for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome! It sounds like you have a great system going without letting it take over your life, especially the food/calorie part.  I did weight watchers last year along with lots of running and spin class (but no lifting).  Then I started triathlon training and everything changed.  I stopped losing and gained some muscle, my workouts changed completely.  After the tri, I was injured, worn out and cranky, so I basically stopped everything and that's of course when I started gaining.

Right now I'm trying dailyplate to track calories because I'm sick of only having 18 points a day...but its telling me to keep it at 1200 calories a day, which is tough.  I'm trying to curb my snacking, which has helped.  Workout wise, I'm getting back into running and spinning and I've started lifting twice a week (once on my own and once with a trainer).  I've been "back on track" for about 4-6 weeks now, but haven't really seen much of a difference, which is discouraging.  I was really hoping to feel great for the b-pics and get some definition, so hopefully there is still time.

I was just thinking the other day that I need to start doing sprint intervals...they are supposed to be great for you!  And they make the time go fast, haha.

Have you signed up for a 5K?  I also do the Father's Day Gary Pap run, and i'm hoping to be ready for it this year again.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cara,
    How tall are you?  I use dailyplate every single day to track calories and it wants me to eat 1500 calories a day to lose 1lb per week.  1200 seems low.  I'm 5'9 if that helps put it into perspective. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I use fatsecret.com and it also told me to eat 1500 calories/day to lose 1 pound/week.  I also work out a TON, but I've been sticking to the 1500 calories.  It's not too bad, but I imagine 1200 would be a lot worse!  I am also convinced that I have just about the slowest metabolism EVER!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to butt in and say that I think 1200 cals is not enough food, IMO. 1500 is a great amount. I actually don't count cals right now, but I think I should start doing that again. I was using Sparkpeople.com though.

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am not a registered nutritionist or anything, but I have spent some time with a nutritionist before and I dedicate a lot of my time to fitness.  I think the bottom line is that everyone is different.  Yes, if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight, but knowing how many calories you burn is really hard to do.  Yeah, you can guess based on your weight, height, age, etc., but you never really know.  I tihnk it's best to experiment with different things and find what works for you.  Besides losing weight, we should all be focused on feeling great too!  If you only eat 1200 calories and you are lethargic and unable to focus all the time, that's not enough food for you, but if you can swing it, and you feel good, I say go for it!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Kim - I'm about 5 feet tall.  I like daily plate because it also tracks exercise, so I make sure to eat those calories.  Though I think its kind of hard to gage how many calories you burn  during a workout.  I know people tend to overestimate what they are burning and underestimate what they are eating.

Jillian - I'll check that out. What kind of phone do you have? I have a blackberry and a droid, but not an iphone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a droid also, so you should be able to get it.  I think the app is called calorie counter, but you can link it to your fatsecret account online.  It also had a barcode scanner attached to it so that you can scan a package, which is VERY convenient (and quite fun).

I also want to add to my last comment and say that I also believe the best way to lose weight is slow and steady - it's healthier and easier to keep off.  I've heard that 1lb/week is a good goal, but I know that people have lost 2-3 in one week with weight watchers.  I would be wary of anything more than that though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, I'll check it out!  1 pound a week is a good goal.  When I've done weight watchers before, I had weeks where I lost 3 pounds in one week, but then weeks where I lost .2, so it all evened out.  The closer you get to your goal (I was within 5 pounds of goal) the slower the weight drops. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was busy with my training class! Man I missed some good conversation! :)

caraellen23 - I did the Gary Papa 5K last year and it was GREAT. Maybe I will shoot to do it again this year.  I haven't signed up for any races yet because I haven't run outside since my hip injury (stress fracutre in my femur - 3 months of crutches + 2 months physical therapy).  I am waiting to finish the C25K inside on the treadmill before I had outside to run at all.  Maybe we can run together if I get there!

Also, I use the C25K app for droid and it is easy and nice to keep track of my runs!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your injury sounds awful!!  Hope its been okay as you get back into running.  I like the Gary Papa run too, its a nice flat course.  There's no shade though and one year it was very hot and bright.  Miserable!

Oh, and DailyPlate actually has me at 1193 calories per day, but I've heard you shouldn't go below 1200, so I'm sticking with that.  I think most days I probably get closer to 1300 or 1400.  I work out about 4 times a week...mix of running, lifting, spin, yoga, etc.

I swear people, I blame it on age.  Once I hit 30, my metabolism came to a screeching halt.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine died at 30 too!!  I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, now, no way :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_kristen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:57348504-53fd-4f40-b5cc-0ab1a295981ePost:f9451492-ac49-4961-9414-7f8ad47550a7">Re: *Kristen*</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your injury sounds awful!!  Hope its been okay as you get back into running.  I like the Gary Papa run too, its a nice flat course.  There's no shade though and one year it was very hot and bright.  Miserable! Oh, and DailyPlate actually has me at 1193 calories per day, but I've heard you shouldn't go below 1200, so I'm sticking with that.  I think most days I probably get closer to 1300 or 1400.  I work out about 4 times a week...mix of running, lifting, spin, yoga, etc. I swear people, I blame it on age.  Once I hit 30, my metabolism came to a screeching halt.
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any stopping halts since my bone is fully healed.  The C25K is a great way to slowly get back into it, I am on week 6 now!  When I was losing weight, I was at 1400 calories a day.  Now I aim for 1800/day and on bad days, I don't count!

I would try the Interval training, it sounds like you enjoy running, so maybe that would help?  Do you feel like you have enough energy to work out?  I had to increase my calories to 1600 when I started working out a lot more (last spring)and I actually continued to lose!  You may not be getting enough calories? No way I could do 1200 calories a day, I would fall over at the gym.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if any of you belong to a gym, but I LOVE les mills body pump (http://www.lesmills.com/global/en/members/bodypump/bodypump-group-fitness-program.aspx)

and chalene's turbo kick (http://www.turbokick.com/)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristen - I'm going to add interval training back into my routine.  It makes treadmill running more bearable!  Thanks!  Glad your hip has healed.  I've had bursitis in my hip for a year now and its the biggest annoyance!  Also, I increased my calories to 1400 per day.  On days that I know I'm going ot have a hard workout, I do tend to eat more.  And I try to eat "filling foods" with lots of protein...

Jillian - I LOVE the droid app for fatsecret! This awesome!  Its way more user-friendly than dailyplate.  Sadly, the droid is actually my work cell phone, so now I HAVE to carry it all the time, haha.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Cara - Good luck! I hope the change in calories and the interval training works out for you!  Sorry about your bursitis in your hip, that must of gotten in your way of running for sure!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just realized that the droid fatsecret app also tells you weight watcher points.  From what I can see, it doesn't add them up for you, but at least it gives you an idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The fatsecret app also has trader joe's food in their food database!! This is awesome, I am hooked!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I love this app, thanks!!

Do you all get the Hungry Girl emails?  I've been getting them for years, they are so helpful.  I don't always love her recipes because they are usually 10 different ingredients and like, 1/4 teaspoon of each.  But today she had a thing on Olive Garden and what the good/bad options are.  I have made a few of her recipes (sloppy janes, chicken pot pie) that have become staples in our house.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I get the hungry girl emails too, but I don't really cook much, so I save good recipes for when I become a wife - haha!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I get a lot of my recipes from http://www.eatbetteramerica.com

• Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chim In:

JUst wanted to second the response at the top about intervals. Seriously they are the best things for you to burn fat. One of our groomsmen is an athletic trainer and he praises intervals all the time. I try to take once a week on the treadmill at the gym and do 2 mins sprinting 2 mins jogging for 20-25 mins. It really helped.

I do a lot of running also- so I saw a difference in my running too- because it really helps your muscles.

Okay :)  Good Luckl!!

(also- I'm doing the broad street run in may...10 miles....yikes! haha)
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards