Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Netty Pot

I'm thinking about breaking down and trying a netty pot.  I've been fighting one cold/sinus infection after the next and heard people rave about using netty pots.

Any one use one?  Did it help?  Was it hard to get the hang of?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
my 2012 shelf:
Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)

Re: Netty Pot

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a really good family friend who swears by one.  He had sinus infections so bad, he was becoming resistant to the antibiotics because he was on them so much.  This was a last resort.  They were suggesting surgery, and once you go surgery, it gets so much worse.

He has not had a sinus infection once since using the netty pot.  He said it's the best thing that has happened to him- the pain, the infection, the problems with breathing, all disappeared.

I have never had bad sinus infections, but from what I have heard about netty pots, I would use this before even going on meds.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I use one and LOVE it. I don't use it all the time, just when i'm starting to feel stuffy. It really helps. I didn't like the actual netty pot, but I use the sinus rinse bottle. Its just a squeeze bottle (made by the same company). I feel like this one works a lot better.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI went to the doctors last week for a really bad sinus infection.  The doctor suggested using the squeeze bottle JIY was talking about.  It really helped him a lot.  He said after using it he felt like he could breath and there wasn't so much pressure. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have one. I have used it many times. I wouldnt say it was a miracle worker but it definitely helps ALOT! It takes some getting used to when using it... The first time it feels so funny... but it helps.. they are pretty cheap too.. I would def say try it out. My SIL swears by them
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls.  I know they are pretty cheap and I'm willing to try it if It helps.  I'm sneezing so much, my shoulders hurt and I'm pretty sure the front of my face is about to explode from the pressure.  I've already been on 2 rounds of antibiotics this winter from pneumonia and a lingering chest cold... this is my last resort.
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will say from experience, make sure you use the whole packet of salt stuff and use water as warm/hot as you can tolerate. The first time I used it, I used cool water because I was afraid of burning the inside of my nose and it hurt (like when you sniff water up your nose swimming). Some of the salt water will drip down your throat and out your mouth. I didn't like that taste, so the next time I didn't use the whole packet. Same feeling as above.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I use it and like it.  I'm prone to sinus infections, and it helped my sinus soo much. 
    It does take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's easy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also have one and like it a lot.  I haven't had a sinus infection since I started using one, and whenever I get a cold... I use my neti pot every morning and every night, and my cold goes away in like a week.  I have very very bad seasonal allergies.  When the trees start to flower... I just stop breathing all together.  It's one of the only things that helps me sleep at night, otherwise I can't breathe.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used the squeeze bottle.  It wasn't pleasant and it gave me horrible sinus headaches.  But I know people swear by them.

I think I didn't use warm enough water.  Who knows, maybe I shocked my poor sinuses.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got the squeeze bottle one a month or so ago when I had a sinus infection.  It worked.... wasn't like a miraculous difference but it helped.  I think I confirmed/discovered that I have a seriously deviated septum.  Yay me.  Thanks mom.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I prefer the squeeze bottle over the pot.. it's a lot easier to use and I think it works better.   I definitely agree with JIY - if you don't get the water warm enough, it STINGS.  

I get seasonal allergies and it helps a ton when I feel stuffiness coming on.  I don't use it every single day .. but during allergy season I use it every few days, or if I feel a cold coming on.  
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

So I got the neti pot (haha realized I've been spelling it wrong).  I could definitely feel a difference.  I mean I still have a runny/stuffy nose but it's not as bad, esp the sinus pressure

my 2012 shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards